Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

No... you *don't* get 318... !

WHAT?!? :(:(:)

Well, in that case I know the answer to the other question and I'm not telling. I am wondering about the liqueur involved... methinks it is more popular on the other side of the pond, over Europe way?

And I never thought of that "town" as a drink before. More along the lines of "EVERYONE! WE'RE IN [townnamehere]!! Look! a store! Well, that's it, I guess."

P.S. Were we allowed to research the town/drink answer? Because it took at least five queries along two different avenues to come up with the answer.

No... you *don't* get 318... !

WHAT?!? :(:(:)

Well, in that case I know the answer to the other question and I'm not telling. I am wondering about the liqueur involved... methinks it is more popular on the other side of the pond, over Europe way?

And I never thought of that "town" as a drink before. More along the lines of "EVERYONE! WE'RE IN [townnamehere]!! Look! a store! Well, that's it, I guess."

P.S. Were we allowed to research the town/drink answer? Because it took at least five queries along two different avenues to come up with the answer.

Well, you certainly *do* have the answer... wonder if anyone else will get it before you post it :D

And yes... it's an over there beverage....

(See.. it's not so hard... not like there wasn't a "***"'s chance in ****)

Snowball!

N43 59.350 W79 31.070

Good man.

For the record, the "Snowball" cocktail is made with one part Advocaat (Wikipedia Link) and 8 parts Lemonade. When I say "Lemonade", I mean the UK lemonade, which might be easier to explain as carbonated water with lemon... (kinda Sprite/7UP *without* the lime!).

Snowball, Ontario (Wikipedia link) is *truly* a "blink and you'll miss it" little hamlet.

I'm really surprised no-one tried the geocaching number game!

I've been to Kilbear several times and not run into this much clay!

Q: What river in southern Ontario got its name from an old trading post near its mouth where items were often paid for later with barter?

I have never heard of the clay at Kilbear either. It has been a long time since I have been there! I will have to remember to check that out next time! Although I would not sit in it like the kids are :unsure: We plan on going sometime soon.

My guess for the next question would be the Grand River.

Juicey just can't stop winning! Woohoo!

BTW, I had to look it up myself because I was curious where the name came from. A bunch of cachers will be on the water there Sunday morning paddling upstream for some caches. Anyone welcome to join - bring a canoe or kayak as I think we've filled all our seats.

The Coquahalla?

edit: (Binrat - I would've thought that to be the right answer too - at the start of the Highway in Dawson Creek, there is a large sign which reads "Mile 0". However, when I looked it up to make sure, I note they call it a marker, not a sign. ).

Edited by Qbar

[quo?te name=Binrat' date='Jul 17 2009, 08:05 PM' post='4000237]

The Eureka Highway, all 20km of it.

Binrat

Yup! The highway goes between the weather station, and CFB Eureka. The road signs are the last official signs in canada with imperial measurments.

Why? donno, ask Binrat :anicute:

Someone is too lazy to replace signs hardly anyone will see.

New Question.....

A bit tough as it is a three parter.

Where in Canada do the boundaries of four provinces/territories intersect, there is ONLY one place?

What is this intersection known as?

And what are the co-ords?

Have fun,

Binrat

P.S. This "place" just screams "place a cache here!"

Edited by Binrat

Where in Canada do the boundaries of four provinces/territories intersect, there is ONLY one place?

Where Manitoba, Saskatchewan, the Northwest Territories, and Nunavut meet

What is this intersection known as?

The Four Corners

And what are the co-ords?

60°00′00″N 102°00′00″W

BTW - this was my daughters answer as they learned it in school this year.

Edited by irishdancingmom

Ding, Ding, Ding!

Irish Dancing Mom and Daughters win.

Your up next.

Binrat

bump.... someone needs to ask a new question... it has been awhile!

Ok I'll play this sounds fun

iread the frist 10 pages then relized that there were 65 pages so i hope that i get the rules right

PS i got the pic off the net but already new what they were for

Q: What are these called and what are they used for????

dowsingrods1.jpg

Ding, Ding, Ding!

Your up next.

Binrat

iread the frist 10 pages then relized that there were 65 pages so i hope that i get the rules right

dowsingrods1.jpg

divining rods for finding water

Ding, Ding, Ding!

Your up next.

Binrat

dowsingrods1.jpg

divining rods for finding water

yep they are

windmills and tidal power

Tidal power would be the answer I was looking for

"The available tidal energy potential for the Minas Passage, Nova Scotia is over 1 GW. Harnessing just 15% of the available tidal energy resource base would generate enough electricity to power about 120,000 Canadian homes (assuming an average of 1.3 kW per home)" - Electric Power Research Institute Feasibility Study

of In Stream Tidal Energy Conversion Technology in North America

Name 5 other ways to know direction or location?????

..?

Compass, roadsigns, migrating geese, the sun, the stars, moss on trees, roadmaps, the guy in the rocking chair outside the gas station, the language/dialect spoken, the temperature, the rocks, the types of animals in the trees (or lack of trees/animals), if my cell phone works or not, what side of the road people are driving on - or if people even have cars, roadsigns, the smell of salt water, mountains, rivers, lakes, roads, towns, cities, shadows, types of tea on sale....

but these probably aren't the 5 you're looking for .. :)

an analog watch,, half way between the hour hand and 12 = the direction South = +or - 15 degrees if yuo are in daylight savings time no good if you have a digital watch

a compass resection will give you your location if you are using a good topo map

talking to a local will always get you on the way, but if you are in Atlantic Canada you might be

given a ptretty funny story to decipher

How do you get to Margaree? " Well ya go down by the ol irving station thet isn't there anymore cuz the nephew of the fella that owned it burnt it down o account of the fact that his buddy used to go with the daughter of the owner and they got in a big fight one night,, must have been the shine they go from washisname from

Glacebay but thats a different stoery,, turn right"

Edited by stagunner

Well I guess it will have to go to Juicepig. I wasn't looking for any particular 5 just any 5.

FYI stagunner: An anolog watch will work to, if you know the time you can draw a clock on a piece of paper!!!!

Hmm never thought of that I guess I am not too old to learn a new trick or 2,,

It is always a good day when you learn something new

Cheers

Well I guess it will have to go to Juicepig. I wasn't looking for any particular 5 just any 5.

FYI stagunner: An anolog watch will work to, if you know the time you can draw a clock on a piece of paper!!!!

Hmm never thought of that I guess I am not too old to learn a new trick or 2,,

It is always a good day when you learn something new

Cheers

That should be the digital watch for time and draw...

Another way out here in BC to get locations... providing you can find an older one (they don't seem to mark newer ones or weren't doing it ) Is to find a electric power pole... they have tags with the location of the pole marked on it... there are a few tricks to interpreting the numbers though... I'll see if I can image one when I get a chance... basically it is degrees minutes and feet measured from the d/m junction...

That goes for lat and long... similar to 49 35 1230 114 38 2200 but they leave off the end digits from the tag... since they never measure that accurately... like I said I see if I can picture one, but it has been handy to know before I got the GPS... in bad weather... power lines go every where around here it seems.

Doug 7rxc

Took some time to find some. these two are adjacent poles.

439s.jpg442s.jpg

439 reads: (1)14 55 176 (0) 50 00 270 (0)

( ) = implied, not given character/numeral

BC doesn't have anything but leading ones in Longitude, so just two digits given, no body has but two digits in latitude degrees... always two. They should have leading zeroes if required...

Tens of feet is enough, I'm told the old readings weren't all that accurate either...

Note that they put Long first, Lat second, surveyor style (which they were)

the feet are under the appropriate coordinates. I'm also told they are fading out around the province due to attrition... took a while to find these to photo... but they are out there to use if needed, not to mention following the right of ways out of the bush as well... two poles like these adjoining ones can give direction as well roughly. can you figure out the line for these two? Again quite rough.

Instead of seconds, or decimal places, it is supposed to be feet west or north of the dd mm line given...

To convert for our use, the trick is to know the length of a minute of longitude at your Latitude.

Minutes of Latitude are stable at 1 NMile... equal to 6,076.12 feet...

not Longitude which gets smaller as you go North or South of the Equator... just figure it once for your home area... in this area it's about 3900 feet or so... close enough for rough work. I used to have a formula for that somewhere... part of an article on convergence angle calculation...

Doug 7rxc