Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

hmm, while we wait, here is an interesting little bit i found. :P

Longest beaver dam in the world (835m) was found using google earth in what province?

I had no idea if it was found using Google Earth, but CBC had a news item yesterday on a huge beaver dam in Alberta???

Q: Where is the midpoint of the Transcanada Highway located?

Ontario! .. ?

Let's get a tad more accurate than that.. I'll go for the nearest city if not the "place".

I'm a bit tired and frazzled and can't help myself... really... THE YELLOW LINE???

Going and hiding away in shame.

Doug...

Ah, Binrat has the answer!

But... I can't ignore the last answer provided..... I would likely have had to concede and give it to you.. but the yellow ones aren't in the middle :D

While we wait for Brendah.... over to you Binrat!

I'm better rested and calmer now... I realize they are in the center... not halfway from the ends...

Just had to say that at the time. <_< It wasn't an entry.

As for adamsloco... that bit about round and round in the dark is likely what inspired ' the Member from Kicking Horse Pass' character (Ron Broadfoot, I think).

Doug

the Aachikaayusaakaasich Portage is inwhich province?

My guess would have to be Newfoundland, which I can pronounce.

As opposed to the name of the portage, which I can't.

And, yep, the round and round in the dark inspired the Member for Kicking Horse Base, the Honourable Dave Broadfoot! As heard on The Royal Canadian Air Farce.

In case anyone is wondering, the reference is to Canadian Pacific's Spiral Tunnels in this valley. Quite the interesting feat of engineering, look it up if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Adamsloco

I apologize for being a little outdated with this reply (since I haven't frequented the Geopub for a while), but thought some of you ardent patrons might like to know that the original Canadian Canoe Collection was the personal collection of Kirk Whipper, a well known Instructor at Toronto University. Kirk set up the Museum at his Summer Camp for kids known as Camp Kandalore in the Algonquin Highlands near Ox Narrows on Kushog Lake, and made it available for public visitation. Kirk's vast collection of Canadian Canoes was later sold and re-housed at the former warehouses of the Outboard Marine Corporation, just off Landsdowne Street in Peterborough, where it still remains, available to the public as the Canadian Canoe Museum.

And - There is a Historic Highway marker for the mid-point of the Trans-Canada Highway in the small picnic parking lot adjacent to Highway 17, precisely at Chippewa Falls, and near the village of Batchewana Bay.

Co-incidentally, I formerly resided in Wawa for many years and regularly stopped at Chippewa Falls for a break on our many Wawa-Soo trips, following the opening of this portion of the TC highway in 1960. And, I now live only a couple of km. from the former Camp Kandalore Museum in Haliburton County, a museum I visited several times as a child.

This delayed posting is not meant to be critical, but is posted only for our shared interest in related Geopub trivia !

I think there's going to be some conjecture on this one. I found two different answers by Googling. Neither are anywhere near Sudbury! :laughing:

Well, there you go! My source was dated ... by 14 years!!! :laughing: It used to be Timmins, Ontario!

When I visited my friend there (who has since moved) it was the largest city by area in Canada. And then I got the same info from the web ..... Goes to show you can't believe everything you read! :laughing:

well, I now know the actual largest city by area in Canada. I guess we should call my question forfeit and someone else have a go.

Oh yeah .. the correct answer is Wood Buffalo, Alberta, according to Wikipedia.

Edited by BC & MsKitty
The City of Kawartha Lakes now encompasses all former townships of the entire Victoria County. Is that big enough ?

Wood Buffalo - 68,454 km²

Kawartha Lakes - 3,059.47 km²

Hows this for a question: List the following provinces in order by their Highest elevation: Ontario, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Saskatchewan

What is the Geological significance of 100 Palladium Drive?

That's where an NHL team was buried and preserved in the stratigraphic record because they couldn't make the playoffs.

OK, my real guess, is that where they quarried for the Nepean Sandstone that lines the outside of the Parliament building?

That's where an NHL team was buried and preserved in the stratigraphic record because they couldn't make the playoffs.

OK, my real guess, is that where they quarried for the Nepean Sandstone that lines the outside of the Parliament building?

Hmm not the correct answer I was looking for,, but the location is correct, just need to refine the significance in the quesion

Toronto? :)

Lorne

Toronto? :unsure:

Lorne

nope wrong hockey team, which has nothing to do with the question, although a hockey team does play at the location,

Toronto? :unsure:

Lorne

nope wrong hockey team, which has nothing to do with the question, although a hockey team does play at the location,

Ottawa Senators? That would be the Corel Centre Maybe?