Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

inuvik?

Corrrect

Inuvik

Established in 1955 as an administrative centre for the Mackenzie Delta. The name is from the Inuit for "the place of man".

Source: Hamilton William B. (1978): The Macmillan Book of Canadian Place Names, Macmillan of Canada, Toronto, p. 321

After Las Vegas - Which Canadian Destination is the top Batchelor Party destination in the world? :rolleyes:

Please clarify. The question implies that Las Vegas is a Canadian destination which it obviously is not, but you could mean a destination *for* Canadians, but then the question closes with "in the world."

Are you looking for a place in Canada? Is it a place that people go to from all over the world, or just Canadians?

Is it St. Catherines (sp?) Street in Montreal?

After Las Vegas - Which Canadian Destination is the top Batchelor Party destination in the world? :anibad:

Please clarify. The question implies that Las Vegas is a Canadian destination which it obviously is not, but you could mean a destination *for* Canadians, but then the question closes with "in the world."

Are you looking for a place in Canada? Is it a place that people go to from all over the world, or just Canadians?

Yes, Montreal - Second most popular destination in the world for Batchelor party destinations. Americans think Montreal is the Bee's Knees so to speak, go dano

After Las Vegas - Which Canadian Destination is the top Batchelor Party destination in the world? :D

Yes, Montreal - Second most popular destination in the world for Batchelor party destinations. Americans think Montreal is the Bee's Knees so to speak, go dano

Do you think the 18 year old age of majority in Quebec has something to do with the 'party destination" for Americans? Heck for Canadians too ... school tours to Montreal for New Years Eve is a Grade 12 right of passage for many kids within driving distance.

Do you think the 18 year old age of majority in Quebec has something to do with the 'party destination" for Americans?

I'm really hoping that 18 being the age of majority doesn't have a significant incidence on the popularity of the place for bachelor's parties :D How young do people get married in the US? I know some of them are in a hurry because they can't get any before marriage, but still... :)

For high school graduation parties, yes, that I can believe. Bars in Gatineau are full of 18 year olds from Ottawa year-round...

So, where is the next question?

So, where is the next question?

After 3 days i think the rule is he forfeits his privilege!

Whoever has a question, ask away!!

Some one asked where is he... didn't they...?

I wonder if all the chat about Montreal stirred some latent youthful urges in our 'winner'...

Doug

afraid not!

Maybe take CA's astonishment comment as an indication that it is a weird sounding place?

Well, "Winnipeg" sounds weird enough - and "Thompson" isn't weird. So, "Flin Flon" would be the last vestige of name weirdness. (Portage de la Prairie I s'pose might count).

Thank Rick Mercer for me remembering the name of the place at all.

Flin Flon is right!

It is only one of two cities in the world to be named after a sci-fi character. (the other being Tarzana California)

The book is "The Sunless City" about a man named Josiah Flintabbatey Flonatin, who piloted a submarine through a bottomless lake. Upon passing through a hole lined with gold, he found a strange underground world.

A prospector noted many parallels to this story and the geology of the area, and named the smelters rail station "Flin Flon" for the hero of the book.

over to RCA!

The "Iron Dog" owes its existence to which Canadian inventor?

Joseph Armand Bombardier for the Motorized tobaggan aka a dogsled with an engine

Correct! (SkiDoo/Snowmobile etc).

Back to you stagunner.

HAHAHAAHA LMAO

I got it????

OK a new one in a bit let me think,,,,

The "Iron Dog" owes its existence to which Canadian inventor?

Joseph Armand Bombardier for the Motorized tobaggan aka a dogsled with an engine

Correct! (SkiDoo/Snowmobile etc).

Back to you stagunner.

Darn it all again... I was going to guess the guy who invented the Dachshound Boot Scraper... whoever it was... that is really a wrought iron 'dog'...

Doug

Good Answer BC &MissKitty but not a very tricky question, just one that makes you think,,

Local Noon can be the time of the old Gun fight, or HIGH NOON

If you know your position and when 1200 hrs GMT and wait for the sun to transit (cross over) your Zenith (the point on the Celestial Sphere directly above you) you will know when LOCAL NOON is.

So it can be defined as the exact time the Sun crosses your meridian of Longitude.

So that describes the WHEN and WHERE.

Each Meridian of Longitude has it's own LOCAL NOON, which really made trouble when trying to make

trains meet their scheduled arrival times many years ago, and hence the Canadian Invention of Standard Time.

YOur Turn

Edited by stagunner

While this on was not really a TRAIN question it had elements of Geography, and astromony in it.

Kind of makes you wonder,,,

But according to WIKI

Prior to 1883, local mean time was used throughout North America, resulting in an inordinate number of local times. This caused convoluted regional and national train schedules. Sandford Fleming, a Canadian, proposed Standard Time at a meeting of the Royal Canadian Institute on February 8, 1879. On October 11, 1883, the heads of the major railroads met in Chicago at the former Grand Pacific Hotel[1] to adopt the Standard Time System. The new system was adopted by most states almost immediately after railroads did so and finally officially adopted by the U.S. government almost fifty years later.

So you can blame us crazy Canucks for Standard Time,, whether you like it or not

Have a great Geocaching day.. and don't look up when it is NOON :blink: you will be blinded by the light ,,, :antenna::D:antenna:

Nope .... neither Quebec City or Kenora.

The museum in question has the largest collsction of canoes and canoeing artifacts of its kind with many famous canoes, such as one of the the red Chestnut Prospector canoes used by Artist, canoeist and film maker, Bill Mason.

The museum is closer to Quebec City than it is to Kenora.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

Nope .... neither Quebec City or Kenora.

The museum in question has the largest collsction of canoes and canoeing artifacts of its kind with many famous canoes, such as one of the the red Chestnut Prospector canoes used by Artist, canoeist and film maker, Bill Mason.

The museum is closer to Quebec City than it is to Kenora.

I'm pretty sure it is somewhere in Ontario, because I seem to remember seeing signs for it while I was out caching. But I don't think it would be fair to start reeling off the names of all the places I've been caching this month, in the hopes that I hit the right one.

I'll allow myself one guess: Niagara Falls. They have lots of various museums, maybe I saw it there.

Adam