Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

My guesses were to follow historical trade routes so

York ... taken

Mattawa ... (it is nice there Brendah!) We have family there and it's been around since 1600's ... taken

so I'm going to guess farther north keeping in mind the fur trade history

and seeing how Juicepig is heading north this August ... I'm going to guess

Cochrane or Moosenee.

ohohohoh.... since my Mattawa is probably wrong and thinking along Mystics fur trade thoughts and my thoughts about the HBC.... I am going to waaay north... How about Moose Factory!!!!

I have always loved that name and would love to go there! I have only been a far north as a small, small place north of Cochrane called Clute... it has a cool ferry there that crosses over to Quebec.

errr.. moose factory IS the answer, Mystic got it!

lol.... i missed your response to Mystic. I swear that it was not there when I read Mystic's answer - although I was not thinking about how close Moosonee was to Moose Factory :laughing: I was thinking quick and did not remember that they were so close to each other.

When I posted my response there was no other posts between me and Mystic... i did not see cartopper's either... weird things happen in sometimes! :laughing:

Edited by brendah

ok the background

In 1983 the Algonquins of Pikwakanagan, the only 'status' Algonquin Community located in Ontario petitioned the Crown in right of Ottawa and Canada to recognize its aboriginal title.

In 1994 the Chief and Council at Pikwakanagan passed a law enabling this community to seek out non-status Algonquins, those of Algonquin descent who have no affiliation with Pikwakanagan but can prove Algonquin ancestry. This brought non-status communities into the process. There are six communities that have been identified and now sit together on a tribal council with the Algonquins of Pikwakanagan.

Name one of these First Nation communities and where they are located.

Edited by ImaMystic

ok the background

In 1983 the Algonquins of Pikwakanagan, the only 'status' Algonquin Community located in Ontario petitioned the Crown in right of Ottawa and Canada to recognize its aboriginal title.

In 1994 the Chief and Council at Pikwakanagan passed a law enabling this community to seek out non-status Algonquins, those of Algonquin descent who have no affiliation with Pikwakanagan but can prove Algonquin ancestry. This brought non-status communities into the process. There are six communities that have been identified and now sit together on a tribal council with the Algonquins of Pikwakanagan.

My First Second and Third Guesses were correct but I had to do the research. so I won't be submitting an answer. I have lived in the land of many hills covered in evergreens and have driven through it many times

Have a great geocaching day :yikes:

ok the background

Good question Mystic although I did not know an answer. I looked it up to learn what the answer(s) was.

ok the background

Community of Pikwakanagan - west of ottawa :D

JP ... I was looking for one of the 6 non-status First Nations Communities. Close tho ... same geographic area for one of the communities. :yikes:

Edited by ImaMystic

Time for a clue?

There is a mount in this town with the same name as the resident non-status First Nation community. In an earlier question we've mentioned this picturesque place.

<Edit - was told I over-answered!>

Bonnechere Algonquin First Nation, based in Renfrew

(Thanks to intelligent friends who know waaaay more about Canada than I would ever hope to!)

Edited by RCA777

Yeah ... RCA777 is correct.

There are six non-status First Nations communities that have been identified and sit together on a tribal council with the Pikwakanagan. They are: the Antoine First Nation, based in Mattawa, the Mattawa-North Bay First Nation, based in North Bay, the Algonquins of greater Golden Lake, based in Killaloe, the Bonnechere Algonquin First Nation, based in Renfrew, the Sharbot Mishigama Algonquin First Nation, based in Sharbot Lake, and the the Ardoch Algonquin First Nation, also based in Sharbot Lake.

My clue relates to Mount Antoine in Mattawa, Ontario and the Antoine First Nation ;)

Edited by ImaMystic

Q: It's traditionally seen as 603 miles (<--Clue!!!) from the the very SW (in SW) to the very NE (in ND).

Where are the start and end points?

Ok.. clue... it's more "Navigational" than "Canadian" (well, coz it isn't Canadian).

What is in the brackets is your "real" navigational element.. hopefully that'll make it less of a nebulous question.

Sorry if I'm not good at this :D

Q: It's traditionally seen as 603 miles (<--Clue!!!) from the the very SW (in SW) to the very NE (in ND).

Where are the start and end points?

There is a "well known route" that is 603 miles (not kilometres...) in length.

The route begins in the very southwest (in SW) and ends in the very northeast (in ND)

There is a town at the start - What is it?

There is a town at the end - What is it?

Betterer-er? It's a puzzle I knew of before I started caching, but thinking about it, it might not be familiar.

So.. hopefully the stuff underlined tells you where.. and the stuff in Red might still be a twister... but the distance should nail it.

(Worried in case I'm worse at this than I expected! Sorry! Will fess up to anyone close!!)

Britania?

Close enough. I'll end the pain...

The trip from the very southwest of the UK mainland (grid reference SW) to the very northeast (grid reference ND) is 606 miles.

Land's End to John O'Groats technically.

Sadly, my realization of "general knowledge" might be skewed as I'm an import... (!!).

JP - over to you!!!!

(Will make sure my next - if occurs - question is closer to now-home!!!)

Edited by RCA777

Britania?

Close enough. I'll end the pain...

The trip from the very southwest of the UK mainland (grid reference SW) to the very northeast (grid reference ND) is 606 miles.

Land's End to John O'Groats technically.

Sadly, my realization of "general knowledge" might be skewed as I'm an import... (!!).

JP - over to you!!!!

(Will make sure my next - if occurs - question is closer to now-home!!!)

BNG I thought it was South West and North Dakota

But it has been 14 years since I uesed BNG!!!

YAY!

What is the geographical significance of Mount Snow Dome in BC?

snow_dome.jpg

An old brochure from the Columbia Icefields says it supplys water to three oceans... Pacific, Atlantic and Arctic... and is the only place in North America that does... Didn't see anything that disallows reading tourist stuff... apologies if that is wrong... no Googling involved... PS I climbed up there in 69... nice view.

Doug

it supplys water to three oceans... Pacific, Atlantic and Arctic... and is the only place in North America that does...

Thats it - your up!

Oh OH!... one tends to forget the need to have a question... hmmmm...

Having not read all the quiz yet... I hope this isn't a repeat...

Forgetting Optical and Dental (maybe others) definitions...

What is convergence angle? AND Why is it a good thing to know and how it applys to NTS maps?

That should take care of navigation and Canada requirements... I'm to busy to come up with anyting else for this time... sorry...

BTW I knew the 603 thing but didn't have time to enter... ha ha. from another old document in fact... NGS back in the old days... an article on making the trip...

Doug

it supplys water to three oceans... Pacific, Atlantic and Arctic... and is the only place in North America that does...

Thats it - your up!

Oh OH!... one tends to forget the need to have a question... hmmmm...

Having not read all the quiz yet... I hope this isn't a repeat...

What is convergence angle? AND Why is it a good thing to know and how it applys to NTS maps?

That should take care of navigation and Canada requirements... I'm to busy to come up with anyting else for this time... sorry...

BTW I knew the 603 thing but didn't have time to enter... ha ha. from another old document in fact... NGS back in the old days... an article on making the trip...

Doug

The Convergence angle - my definition

Grid convergence it the difference between Gid North (the lines running North and South on your maps) and True North (the point where all Longitude lines meet.

Map makers use the UTM grid to show the eastings and Northings on the map,

In the UTM system each ZONE is 6 degrees Longitude wide, with the central meridian of the zone at 500,000m This line has now convergence angle, while all other Easting lines will have one.

So one must remember this especially when usuing True North as the way your GPSr will show.

Grid Convergence can vary from a few seconds to a few degrees, depending on your latitude and your distance from the UTM central meridian

The NTS maps show this in the bleeding edges on your maps, It is seen in the same place where you would find the MAgnetic declination. If you transfer your bearing,heading or direction to navigate from your GPSr to the map, remember to consider this,,

Sailors and pilots will use true north to navigate, but their charts are made for this, while hikers, and land lubbbers will likey use the UTM system with its handy 1km squares to travel the wilderness with.

Hope this is enough info,,

Q: What is convergence angle? AND Why is it a good thing to know and how it applys to NTS maps?

Grid convergence it the difference between Gid North (the lines running North and South on your maps) and True North (the point where all Longitude lines meet.

In the UTM system each ZONE is 6 degrees Longitude wide, with the central meridian of the zone at 500,000m This line has now convergence angle, while all other Easting lines will have one.

So one must remember this especially when usuing True North as the way your GPSr will show.

Grid Convergence can vary from a few seconds to a few degrees, depending on your latitude and your distance from the UTM central meridian

The NTS maps show this in the bleeding edges on your maps, It is seen in the same place where you would find the MAgnetic declination. If you transfer your bearing,heading or direction to navigate from your GPSr to the map, remember to consider this,,

Sailors and pilots will use true north to navigate, but their charts are made for this, while hikers, and land lubbbers will likey use the UTM system with its handy 1km squares to travel the wilderness with.

Yep... more than close enough... your chance to confuse... hope you have a good question ready...

I'll not mention the typo glitches in my scoring..

I was hoping for a mention of the fact that online declination calculators such as the one at NRCanada

http://geomag.nrcan.gc.ca/apps/mdcal-eng.php

only give magnetic declination not grid declination... being aware of your convergence angle (and +-) from the map can save a lot of calculations... which are likely not valid anyway...

The convergence angle does not change... it is a physical construct based on the grid as mentioned by you..

declinations change frequently and even the rate of change is not constant.

Did you know this?... you sound a bit like a navigator of some sort. I've done marine, air and ground

navigation at one point or another...

Another for you... does your GPS accept declination correction... some of the newer ones seem to do it 'built-in' thru software... my old one I can correct the Magnetic ... that is declination.

Congrats... Doug

Edited by 7rxc

Q: What is convergence angle? AND Why is it a good thing to know and how it applys to NTS maps?

Yep... more than close enough... your chance to confuse... hope you have a good question ready...

I'll not mention the typo glitches in my scoring..

I was hoping for a mention of the fact that online declination calculators such as the one at NRCanada

http://geomag.nrcan.gc.ca/apps/mdcal-eng.php

only give magnetic declination not grid declination... being aware of your convergence angle (and +-) from the map can save a lot of calculations... which are likely not valid anyway...

The convergence angle does not change... it is a physical construct based on the grid as mentioned by you..

declinations change frequently and even the rate of change is not constant.

Did you know this?... you sound a bit like a navigator of some sort. I've done marine, air and ground

navigation at one point or another...

Another for you... does your GPS accept declination correction... some of the newer ones seem to do it 'built-in' thru software... my old one I can correct the Magnetic ... that is declination.

Congrats... Doug

I was going tomention the NRCAN site but then that would mean that I had to Google it, not in the rules.

So I went off the top of my head based on my military surveyor experience,

and sorry for the typos,, I do that lots,

I do not know if my GPSR can readliy accept magnetic declinations, but I do know that the WMM or World Magnetic Model is calculated on a set annual basis or in a 5 years span and then the software needs to be updated,, I think it is about every 5 years so be careful in 150 years the Magnetic North Pole will be over Siberia.

OK .. I seem to remember something about this in a travel documentary I saw a while ago, but can't quite get the details.. .....

ummm ... is it the Northwest Territories?

is it the NWT??

well it is a place somehwere in the NWT

OK .. I guess my memory is sort of good :anicute:

Now to think back ....... :)

OK .. I seem to remember something about this in a travel documentary I saw a while ago, but can't quite get the details.. .....

ummm ... is it the Northwest Territories?

is it the NWT??

well it is a place somehwere in the NWT

Diavik, freezing his butt off while digging for a diamond for his woman?

Edited by shearzone

The only town that comes to mind is Tuktoyaktuk. This was the ending point of a young couple that paddled kayaks across Canada from The Gulf of St Lawrence to there. (took them 2 years). I'm sure it was in connection with their trip that I heard the "Place Of Man" term. (I could cheat and go through their book ..... :huh:)

Edited by BC & MsKitty

The only town that comes to mind is Tuktoyaktuk. This was the ending point of a young couple that paddled kayaks across Canada from The Gulf of St Lawrence to there. (took them 2 years). I'm sure it was in connection with their trip that I heard the "Place Of Man" term. (I could cheat and go through their book ..... :rolleyes:)

Close, but not the correct answer