Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

I was sitting here trying to think of other places in the Yukon and could only think of Whitehorse (I think my brain is frozen this morning!), which we have already been told was wrong. So I had to google it too! I would never have guessed the location... never heard of it either. And man is that cold!!! :P Maybe I should stop complaining about how cold it is in southwestern Ontario! :(

Edited by brendah

:( Sigh, I really thought someone would get it.

The answer was: On February 3, 1947, the record-low temperature for continental North America was recorded in Snag: −63 °C (−81.4 °F).

The new question is this:

What is the Highest Town in Canada?

Edited by Binrat

A bit vague... do you mean town or...

Banff is at 1397 m / 4582 ' asl.... on the other hand is a tourist destination an town?

My hometown (now) is Elkford BC at 1300 m 4265' asl... it is a little town (community).

Of course I think Rossland BC claims it is at 1023m 3356' asl.

There are of course many other towns that claim to be 'highest' but not always talking elevation, eh!

Doug

A bit vague... do you mean town or...

Banff is at 1397 m / 4582 ' asl.... on the other hand is a tourist destination an town?

My hometown (now) is Elkford BC at 1300 m 4265' asl... it is a little town (community).

Of course I think Rossland BC claims it is at 1023m 3356' asl.

There are of course many other towns that claim to be 'highest' but not always talking elevation, eh!

Doug

Banff is the right Province, but wrong hotel town and a bit higher for the elevation.

That was a big hint.

Binrat

Banff is the right Province, but wrong hotel town and a bit higher for the elevation.

That was a big hint.

Binrat

Well I tried... thats what I get for reading the brochures at the local tourism

office...

I think there are going to be a lot of annoyed chambers of commerce when we get thru

with this... I'll give them your contact info... :laughing:

I see someone else was thinking about the other alternative...

I hope that isn't theirs...

Doug

Edited by 7rxc

Ring-A-Ding-Ding, Wavector has got it. Lake Louise Alberta is 1534m (5033 ft) above Sea Level.

Take it away Wavector.

Binrat

OK, this is a tough one. It has to do with "navigation". It isn't a question about navigaiton per se but it is an excersise in navigating to obtain the answer. Here is a hint, you probably need to use Google Maps to figure it out because googling won't work. If you have never seen this feature of Google Maps in use you will enjoy this question.

In downtown Tokyo, at the intersection of Highway 420 and Highway 312 there is a green dump truck, it is heading north east on Highway 312 and it is right in the middle of the intersection of the two highways.

What number is the four digit number on the side of the dump truck?

Found the intersection but no dump truck. :lol: Bus, cars, orange taxi.etc. but no dump truck that I can see. Might be in the wrong place too! lol Figured out how to look from the side.

Will look some more

Lorne

When you are in the right location you will see the tracklines for the two highways will meet, they form a star with several other tracklines meeting at the same location. The dump truck is there you just have to be going the right way on the right highway to see it. :D

If you can see a bus coming towards you with the licence plate 12-11 than you are in the right place.

Paris is beautiful in this mode, try dropping your self on the Ile de la Cite right by the Palais!!!

I think I got it ... I saw the bus and here's the numbers from the dump truck ... 3539. Google Earth at this level is very cool ... The first bubble I dropped into has the bus approaching a 7/11 store. I would never have known that Japan had 7/11's. I'm heading off to Paris now and who knows after that ...talk about armchair travelling!

Edited by ImaMystic

Although the answer had already been given I had to try to find it too. As soon as I read the question I knew what I had to use. I have used this google earth option before to see parts of the Canadian east coast but I had never thought to go to the other side of the world.

Very cool question wavector! I am going to go check out Paris now :lol:

I think I got it ... I saw the bus and here's the numbers from the dump truck ... 3539. Google Earth at this level is very cool ... The first bubble I dropped into has the bus approaching a 7/11 store. I would never have known that Japan had 7/11's. I'm heading off to Paris now and who knows after that ...talk about armchair travelling!

That is it, it is 3539. Yes, there is a 7-11 near there as well!

Take it away ImaMystic.

If you haven't answered this question then maybe give it a try, it is a lot of fun to navigate through cities in this fashion.

Way to go ImaMystic!

That is it, it is 3539. Yes, there is a 7-11 near there as well!

Take it away ImaMystic.

If you haven't answered this question then maybe give it a try, it is a lot of fun to navigate through cities in this fashion.

Way to go ImaMystic!

That took awhile to figure out but I finally did get it! lol

Very cool.

Lorne

Edited by cartopper

Ring-A-Ding-Ding, Wavector has got it. Lake Louise Alberta is 1534m (5033 ft) above Sea Level.

Take it away Wavector.

Binrat

OK, this is a tough one. It has to do with "navigation". It isn't a question about navigaiton per se but it is an excersise in navigating to obtain the answer. Here is a hint, you probably need to use Google Maps to figure it out because googling won't work. If you have never seen this feature of Google Maps in use you will enjoy this question.

In downtown Tokyo, at the intersection of Highway 420 and Highway 312 there is a green dump truck, it is heading north east on Highway 312 and it is right in the middle of the intersection of the two highways.

What number is the four digit number on the side of the dump truck?

I found the intersection but must be blind, does anyone have the co-ords?

Oh, how did you know it was there?

Binrat

I know this question probably seemed kind of different from the usual geo-pub questions so I thought I would detail the steps I used to find the information. This can be done with Google Earth or Google Maps but I enjoy following the tracks and that feature is a Google Maps feature so that is the route I wil demonstrate. This is a great way to see places close up!

A Step by Step Guide to finding the dump truck (and many other intersting things as well!!)

The first step is accessing Google Maps, you can do from the Google Search page or a cache page, I used a cache page. The link for Google mpas is just above the start of the logs with all the other map links.

AccessGoogleMapsfromanyCachePage.jpg

Once you have entered Google Maps just zoom out to see a Mercator Projection of the Earth and there is Japan.

ZoomOutasRequired.jpg

Zoom down into the Tokyo Metro area and Google Earth shows the highway tags in blue, the highways are laid out in a logical grid so it is fairly easy to find the intersection of the 420 and the 312.

ZoomIntoTargetArea.jpg

At this point I swtiched from Map to Satellite by choosing that option in the upper right area of the view.

SatelliteViewofArea.jpg

I zoomed right down to the area of interest.

DrillDowntoStreetLevelView.jpg

Now I am ready to go to street level view, so I grabbed the little yellow guy above the slider bar and dropped him into the intersection. (If he is not yellow then no street level view exists at that location.)

GrabTheLittleYellowGuyandDropHimont.jpg

Now I am actually down at street level and there is a bus coming right at me. You can zoom in to see the licence plate is 12-11. I can use the control in the upper left to turn myself around.

TurnSidewaysWithThisArrow.jpg

And I can see the dump truck traveling along Highway 312, #3539.

OneGreenDumpTruck.jpg

You can travel along any track by using the arrows you see on the screen. Just click an arrow to move in that direction. There is a 7-11 !!! Cool, and if you go a little SW of the 7-11 there is a cafe called Wave (no kidding). If you look out the side for picture windows as you travel you can see the vehicle that is collecting the photo track, it is a small car. People can ask to have images removed as well, if you run into a removed image you don't get a pic, just a label. You can see interesting stuff in these pictures. There is a person walking awy from the 7-11 who looks pretty strange to me, he appears to be stumbling on the curb. In other views it looks like he might be gardening.

You could possibly spot geocaches with these views, or at least hiding spots.

7-11Guy.jpg

One last shot.

BoulevarddePalais.jpg

nope!

Blew it again... forgot there was anything north of Resolute... come to think is there anything in Resolute??

Actually it wasn't half bad... for a visit... I'll try again... I think WV has it right, eh! theres a 2000 + up there.

Never seen that one, I still like Mt. Thor on Baffin.

Doug

Oops typed before thinking!

Was thinking Newfoundland and Labrador, then thought of an ad about skiing there.

Something about NL having the highest mountains east of the Rockies.

However I don't know if the island of Newfoundland qualifies as Northern Canada.

Edited by bobbarley
Ellesmere?

Thats the one!

Barbeau Peak (2,616 m (8,580 ft))

Known as the Everest of the North - mush smaller, but much harder to get to! As of 2006 only seven successful summits have been attained.

NEXT!!!!

It is a good thing I got it right because I only knew the name of one island!

So now I have to think of a question.

I will come up with one very soon.