Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

Relief/contour line?

That is a great try Coup.

It might be that you are right but that cannot be determined by me because I don't know what the answer means, I only know the answer.

I know what your answer means.

That is not the answer they were looking for!

Let's all pitch in and recycle! :lol:

If you go and read this thread there are some really great questions - and answers!

Some of the people in this quiz are really good at this!!!

My question is more of a Canadian Geopub Quiz quiz.

isogonic lines,, and that is reallly of the top of my head,,

not saying that my head has Zero declination

and another more correct answer would be LONGITUDE LINES as they always run north and south and have no grid or magnetic influence

You are so close, I think it is good enough for me.

The question was originally asked by Yorkshire on April 17, 2007 in this thread. The answer Yorkshire was looking for was agonic line.

No one ever did provide that answer (again!!) so it will be a great recycled question for 2010.

Here is a link to the orignial question and if you have any questions about the answer you can ask Yorkshire. :unsure:

agonic line

Over to stagunner.

What is seiche?

and where in Canada is it most notable?

It is when the water sloshes back and forth in a container (like when you sit down in a bathtub or you are trying to carry a bucket of water and it sloshes about and you get wet feet)... or in nature... in a lake.

It happens often in the Great Lakes by strong winds blowing and then stop. The pressure pushing the water to one shore subsides which causes the water to slosh back and forth on the opposite shores until it reaches equilibrium.

Earthquakes and tsunamis also cause seiches.

I have no idea where I learned that but it is something that has just stuck in my memory taking up precious space :unsure:

Where would you be if you were at L0L0? Be specific...

You would be swimming on the Equator at the Prime Meridian, south of Accra, Ghana and east of Libreville, Gabon?

Alternatively there is a dance club in downtown Toronto. I have never been to L0L0, I have just been told about the wild things that happen there. :yikes:

Where would you be if you were at L0L0? Be specific...

You would be swimming on the Equator at the Prime Meridian, south of Accra, Ghana and east of Libreville, Gabon?

Alternatively there is a dance club in downtown Toronto. I have never been to L0L0, I have just been told about the wild things that happen there. :yikes:

Well that was fast! I think it took me longer to think of a question than it took for the response!

L0L0 Toronto sounds interesting.... lol! I have never been there either... although I have been to LULU's...

Of course swimming on the Equator at the Prime Meridian answer is the correct one... south of Ghana and WEST of Gabon (I think that you put east by mistake so I will give it to you).

Your turn wavector!

WEST of Gabon ...

Now you know why I need a GPS!

2009 is an important international year of celebration for a certain group.

In Canada the activities will kick off on January 10 and the Canadian goal is to create a million of these moments.

You need to know a few answers -

What is the official name of this year of celebration?

What kind of moments are we creating?

When and where is the official international kick off of this year of celebration?

WEST of Gabon ...

Now you know why I need a GPS!

2009 is an important international year of celebration for a certain group.

In Canada the activities will kick off on January 10 and the Canadian goal is to create a million of these moments.

You need to know a few answers -

What is the official name of this year of celebration?

What kind of moments are we creating?

When and where is the official international kick off of this year of celebration?

Wow, it is a tough one!

The Canadian kick-off was a highlight for many of the members of the RASC who hope to create a million Galileo moments in this upcoming year.

The international kick off is January 15 and 16 at the United Nations Assembly in Paris , France.

So the only bit you need to put in here is the official name of this year of celebration?

I remember seeing in a birdwatching story that 2009 was International Year of Astronomy so I would offer a guess that this is it.

That is it!

If you go out and look at Saturn through your telescope early in January you are going to be seeing the same view that Galileo saw when he first looked back in 1609, an almost edge on view of the rings.

It is indeed the IYA2009 and it is a big event for the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada and they hope to get a million people to look through a telescope for the first time.

Take it away Gordon.

I hope to spend a night at an observatory in Quebec in 2009

Question, should be easy for Earthcachers

What is significant about N51 23' W68 42'

It's one of the largest meteor craters in Canada at 100 km in diameter the Manicougan is pretty impressive,

But you can't see the larger Sudbury crater @ 250 km on satelite maps

It's one of the largest meteor craters in Canada at 100 km in diameter the Manicougan is pretty impressive,

But you can't see the larger Sudbury crater @ 250 km on satelite maps

This is from my Sudbury Astrobleme EC if anyone is interested - all but the north west rim of the crater has been destroyed by 2 billion years of mountain building:

db884110-90e8-4e6e-95b7-e235ffd6d904.jpg

Hmmm I grew up in Moncton and i am not sure

While we are on the topic oc significant events, try this one

Something happened near Moncton a long time ago near 46.0N, 64.5W

What was it and when did it happen?

ummm I think the event happend a lot earlier than that significant date!!!

A February 8th, 1855 earthquake was reported by Dawson (1868) to have occurred at "the bend of the Petitcodiak", the nineteenth name for the Moncton region in southeastern New Brunswick. This earthquake was felt throughout most of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and as far to the southwest as Boston, Massachusetts. A felt area IV magnitude of 5.2 was proposed in a reevaluation of this event by Leblanc and Burke (1985) and the epicentre proposed by Smith (1962) of 46.0oN, 64.5oW was accepted. This epicentre and a magnitude of mN are now listed in the Canadian National Seismological Database. The general location of the earthquake is confirmed by the reports of several aftershocks being felt in the Moncton area during the month of February, 1855 (Saint Andrews Standard, March 7th, 1855). Minor damage was reported for this earthquake, such as in an account from Hopewell, a village 17 km south-southwest of the epicentre, which states "At the chemical factory in this place, the shock caused the plastering of walls to crack and rend from top to bottom ....", New Brunswick Reporter, February 16, 1855.

A February 8th, 1855 earthquake was reported by Dawson (1868) to have occurred at "the bend of the Petitcodiak", the nineteenth name for the Moncton region in southeastern New Brunswick. This earthquake was felt throughout most of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and as far to the southwest as Boston, Massachusetts. A felt area IV magnitude of 5.2 was proposed in a reevaluation of this event by Leblanc and Burke (1985) and the epicentre proposed by Smith (1962) of 46.0oN, 64.5oW was accepted. This epicentre and a magnitude of mN are now listed in the Canadian National Seismological Database. The general location of the earthquake is confirmed by the reports of several aftershocks being felt in the Moncton area during the month of February, 1855 (Saint Andrews Standard, March 7th, 1855). Minor damage was reported for this earthquake, such as in an account from Hopewell, a village 17 km south-southwest of the epicentre, which states "At the chemical factory in this place, the shock caused the plastering of walls to crack and rend from top to bottom ....", New Brunswick Reporter, February 16, 1855.

Well you win!!!

can you define a 'long time ago'?

ok another hint

before 1900,,

Africa came to visit?

The opening of the Atlantic took A LOT longer than 109 years!

Edited by shearzone

Name the first Canadian Satellite?

Telsat 1

Teletran 1 :huh:

You got the 1 right as well. :)

I Googled my answer after I screwed it up so I know you got the 1 right.

Now someone just has to get the other part right.

I have never heard of Teletran but I have seen the 1 before.

It is something like dadadada 1.

We shouldn't be giving out such good hints though.

can you define a 'long time ago'?

ok another hint

before 1900,,

Africa came to visit?

The opening of the Atlantic took A LOT longer than 109 years!

Huh? He said *before* 1900, and I'm pretty sure Africa came to visit -- and left -- all before 1900. (Plus, it was a feeble attempt at humour.)

Anik E1?

Vague memories from a Discovery Channel shows some years ago...

You are doing better than both ibycus and I.

You have the 1 right (probably the hints we gave you) and you have two letters right. :D

Technically I had some of the letters right also, I just had them in the wrong location.

So we are getting closer, I won't tell you which letter you have in the right location but it could be the first letter.

We are narrowing it down now.

I bet everyone will get the 1 right.