Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

Take it away Juicepig, you are correct.

http://brucetrail.org/pages/about-us/history-of-the-trail

Hard to believe it was created in 1960!

Oh, and for those not in the know there is a Virtual Cache at the terminus.

Binrat

And for further enlightenment, there's actually a Virtual Cache at each terminus. At the North Terminus, we have End of the Trail by DecoDoppler and at the South Terminus, we have The Other End of the Trail by Flick. There is also a cairn to mark each terminus.

OOPS! i totally ripped that one from B.. tribute question: Where was Canadas first Cheese Factory?

(It is geocaching, as cheese is a great trail food) :anibad:

Too easy! I used to love going into their store and picking cheeses from all the amazing ones spread out there.

I will defer to someone who may not have read the history on the wall there. :laughing:

Cheese, sigh, my local cheese factory, Forfar, no longer makes its own cheese due to government regulations, they get their cheese from St. Albert's.

As a wee lad I was at the factory with a friend and the Manager asked if I wanted some curd and he allowed me to dip into the vat of curd as they were dumping it in, oh so fresh and sqweeaky.

I know the answer but will stand back for now.

Binrat

Although probably wrong, I'll give this a go, and it's the only cheese producer I know of. Down here just off the 401 there's a place that was featured on tv a couple of years ago. They produced the biggest cheese in Canada? If I remember it was situated near the Elmhurst Inn at Ingersoll.

welcome to an island with over a thousand caches

ok well try this

if you can translate it you will see it leads to a great place

'Failte do Innis leis thar Mille Tashtay'

Dragonflys gets the prize well no prize just the honour of asking a new question.

PSSt the hint is somewhere on an AtlanticGeocachingAssociation event write up

http://atlanticgeocaching.com/

have a good read and join us next time you are out our way

What is the closest cache to the Geographic center of Canada?

Can you tell us how you're defining centre? (and why you're spelling centre the american way in a canadian forum :D)

Are we talking centre of mass, or centroid, or (max lat+min lat)/2, (max lon+min lon)/2.

Dale

Can you tell us how you're defining centre? (and why you're spelling centre the american way in a canadian forum :D)

Are we talking centre of mass, or centroid, or (max lat+min lat)/2, (max lon+min lon)/2.

Dale

and does it have to be a physical cache?

Center Centre being defined as the mid-point of the extremities of Canada's landmass. Yes a physical (REAL) cache.

Dale

OMG! We are just checking in now... :huh: Sorry! We got busy and forgot about our answer and that it might be right.

Ok, it's a typical fall day on the west coast...You're out caching and while you're driving along watching the road (and the arrow on the GPS) you notice that it's getting a bit bleak over yonder. The visibility is getting worse and you can barely see the mountains in the distance. You say, 'Wow look at the mist' and your passenger says 'I think it's fog'... What is the difference? Who is right?

Depending on the time of day, and the temperature, either could be correct. What is the dewpoint at the time of your encounter with the mist/fog? Is there a cold front approaching or leaving? :huh: How close to sea level are you, and how close to the actual water

/

Edited by Mag Magician

Sorry, we're not in Ontario... it's not haze (nor smog :huh: ).

Where this environmental phenomenon is occurring, the temperature is below the dew point. We're looking for the 'common' knowledge answer, not an answer based on dew point. They both form because the temperature has fallen below the dew point.

OK, I'm going to hazard a guess. Because you say it's in the distance, and you can hardly see the mountains, I would say it's fog. Mist occurs in a a small locality, whereas fog is more widespread.

That is absolutely correct. Also, density plays a role. If you can't see more than a kilometer then you're generally in fog.

I'll take a run at that one! Okay, given the freezing point of water is 0C it shouldn't make any difference what the temperature is provided its below that point.

Did I win?!? ;):unsure:

-20 is cold enough to freeze the cloud though - Essentially it turns into a giant frozen lake and falls crushing anyone unfortunate enough below.

I would say that there would be 0cm of SNOWfall :yikes:

I'll take a run at that one! Okay, given the freezing point of water is 0C it shouldn't make any difference what the temperature is provided its below that point.

Did I win?!? ;):unsure:

-20 is cold enough to freeze the cloud though - Essentially it turns into a giant frozen lake and falls crushing anyone unfortunate enough below.

I would say that there would be 0cm of SNOWfall :yikes:

Both wrong. Sorry!

Think density, as in the previous question.

Edited by Mag Magician

Okay, if the temperature is colder the air is therefore more dense. Hence is more apt to hold water in the clouds .....therefore there'll be lesssnowfall

Right track, wrong amount!

The correct answer would be a factor of 5:1 with a 20 degree difference, making the actual snowfall 2cm.

Take it away, Couperangus.

Edited by Mag Magician

Sorry! I was away on business.

Q: You're walking down a road, Geocaching with dead batteries in your GPS, in the middle of nowhere, basically lost. You come to a fork in the road. One road will take you safely into town but the other leads to certain peril. In the middle of the roads there is a house where live two identical twins. One twin always tells the truth and the other always lies. You knock on the door and it is answered by one of the twins, yet you don't know which one. What one question can you ask of the twin to make sure you take the safe road into town?

OOO! Truthful twin is hotter, while the dishonest twin has been ravaged by years of supressed dishonesty and emotional dischord!

"Would your sister say you were the hotter twin?"

hahaha

That is not right! The correct answer is -

I would go to the barbershop where the barber has the bad haircut.

(ravaged by years of suppressed dishonesty) :D:D:D

Okay, okay. I didn't know it was this well known. Answer the question and I'll ask something a little more challenging. <evil grin>

Oooo, ok I will take you up on that!

Ask the Twin: "Would your twin tell me that YOU are telling the truth"

Honest = no

Dishonest (and ugly mind you) = yes

I look forward to your next riddle!