Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

Simple one this time folks... no need for the lat/long... just tell me this:

What are the Northernmost, Southernmost, Easternmost, and Westermost points in Canada? (names)

I am pretty sure all of these have already been asked as seperate questions. I know the answers, but I'll leave it to someone else.

3.576832 billion years - as of yesterday ! Oldest rocks in Canada are in province of Ontario.

Nope, and the answer to #2 is still NWT, followed by Labrador

This is a trick question, because you can't assign a single age to the shield. It is collage of rocks ranging from 4 Ga to less than 1 Ga (giga annum = billion years). Last I heard, the Acasta Gneiss found 3oo km north of Yellowknife has been dated to be about 4 Ga old; the oldest known rock in the world. However, that distinction may not last, because some friends of mine were working hard on proving that some rocks not too far from the Acasta Gneiss might be even older!

Edited by shearzone

This is a trick question, because you can't assign a single age to the shield. It is collage of rocks ranging from 4 Ga to less than 1 Ga (giga annum = billion years).

You can't assign an age to a person either, since they grow and change throughout their life - and yet we do. We tend to take the age that they were youngest at.

Last I heard, the Acasta Gneiss found 3oo km north of Yellowknife has been dated to be about 4 Ga old; the oldest known rock in the world. However, that distinction may not last, because some friends of mine were working hard on proving that some rocks not too far from the Acasta Gneiss might be even older!

your right, 4.03 Billion. Until your buddies publish something that is the correct answer - take it away!

Sweet, it's been a while since I last asked a question.

Let's stick with the rock theme. The Tyndall Limestone is one of the most widely used decorative building stones in Canada. It lines the Manitoba Provincial Legislature in Winnipeg, the Rimrock Hotel in Banff, the inside of the Banff Springs Hotel, the Empress Hotel in Victoria, the museaum of Civilization and the halls of the Parliament Building. Where in Canada is it mined? Looking for town and province, or distance and direction from nearest major centre.

Edited by shearzone

Next question. Nearby to Tyndall, MB is Oak Hammock Marsh Interpretive Centre. (The actual building is constructed using Tyndall Stone) This weekend they are holding a GPS and geocaching workshop.

Oak Hammock Marsh is designated a Ramsar Site.

What is a Ramsar Site and why is it called Ramsar?

I was pretty sure it was in Manitoba. I pulled out my trusty atlas and found...Tyndall, Manitoba about 35km NE of Winnipeg.

Correct, Tyndall Limestone is mined in the Garson-Tyndall region of Manitoba. The rock is from the (Ordivician) Red River Formation. I would tell you to ask the next question, but I see that you already have!

Edited by shearzone

Okay, things seem to have stalled so I'll ask the next question :D

Q: The rope on your canoe, required by law, is called a "painter". Why?

I have to give credit to one of my co-workers for this one...apparently he's a bit of a genius.

It comes from an archaic French or Middle Age English word for "strong rope" or "heavy rope". He wasn't sure of the origin or true meaning, but I fugured...pffttt..close enough!!!

Okay, things seem to have stalled so I'll ask the next question :D

Q: The rope on your canoe, required by law, is called a "painter". Why?

I have to give credit to one of my co-workers for this one...apparently he's a bit of a genius.

It comes from an archaic French or Middle Age English word for "strong rope" or "heavy rope". He wasn't sure of the origin or true meaning, but I fugured...pffttt..close enough!!!

I've always like etymology (history of words) and I remembered reading this in a book. A slight bending of the rules (I used Google because I couldn't find the book I read it in) came up with this quote: "The rope which is coiled up in the boat, and which is constantly employed in bawling (sic), &c. is called the boat's painter, because, from its being saturated with tar, and its continual friction against the boat, the latter becomes daubed or painted, with the adhesive or greasy matter with which the rope is covered." Which is basically what I read, but not in that language.

Edited by adamsloco

Celestite is the principle ore of strontium

What is the primary colour this element produces in fireworks?

I'm no chemist, nor am I a mineralogist, but I recognized something fundamentally wrong with the first statement, so I had to google this. I believe stagrunner meant to say in the first statement is: Strontium is an element that occurs in the mineral celestite (along with sulphur and oxygen).

Celestite is the principle ore of strontium

What is the primary colour this element produces in fireworks?

I'm no chemist, nor am I a mineralogist, but I recognized something fundamentally wrong with the first statement, so I had to google this. I believe stagrunner meant to say in the first statement is: Strontium is an element that occurs in the mineral celestite (along with sulphur and oxygen).

I'm not sure, but I think that that is blue.

Try my hand at this without google - Just last night's digging through GC

I found 7 different reviewers -

Cache-Tech - ON, NB, NL, NS, PEI & The Territories

CacheDrone - Ontario

Cachechisme - Quebec

cache-advance - NWT

onecrazycanadian - Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Cache Effect - Alberta

mtn-man - BC

Probably missed a couple though...

Mtn-Man is from Georgia? :anibad:

How did he come to be BC's reviewer then?

And I think it's cache agent that I missed (though I'm not entirely sure of her domain - Out east somewhere anyway - I'll guess NB)

Yup! Your turn

I dont know why he is BCs reviewer.. maybe he is just the only one who applied for the job B)

Mtn-Man is from Georgia? :D

How did he come to be BC's reviewer then?

And I think it's cache agent that I missed (though I'm not entirely sure of her domain - Out east somewhere anyway - I'll guess NB)

Yup! Your turn

I dont know why he is BCs reviewer.. maybe he is just the only one who applied for the job :laughing:

Still missed one :)