Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

I thought that would have been a tough one.

Take it away Team Magic.

Binrat

OK, let's take a different tack for this one. Dig out your survival manuals and remember all the things your grandaddy told you about surviving in the wild if you inadvertently get lost on your way to a cache .

There is a very edible plant that you can eat in the field. It can be boiled and eaten like corn on the cob, dried and made into flour for pancakes, parts can be eaten raw, like celery.

It is edible (available) spring, summer and fall. Sometimes one of it's forms is called Cossack Asperagus.

What is this common plant?

OK, let's take a different tack for this one. Dig out your survival manuals and remember all the things your grandaddy told you about surviving in the wild if you inadvertently get lost on your way to a cache .

There is a very edible plant that you can eat in the field. It can be boiled and eaten like corn on the cob, dried and made into flour for pancakes, parts can be eaten raw, like celery.

It is edible (available) spring, summer and fall. Sometimes one of it's forms is called Cossack Asperagus.

OOO I love survival stuff. I am pretty sure you refer to Cattail (Typha latifolia)

OOO I love survival stuff. I am pretty sure you refer to Cattail (Typha latifolia)

WOW! A winner right out of the gate!

Bobbarley, it's over to you.

Using an Analog Wristwatch (one with hands) describe how it can direct you to North.

- Trade it for a compass

- barter it for information on where North is

- Use the compass feature by clicking the "mode" button a few times

- Attach it to a canadian goose in early spring, track the goose

- Just keep following the minutes hand for a few hours, then look for the north star

- Ask the watch politely.. if it refuses to answer, smash it with a rock.

I couldn't wait for someone to answer the question, I had to google it and that is the coolest thing ever! I had to go out and try it and it works! ;)

Actually, the young'uns of today will never have a chance to test it. None of them know that a watch has two hands instead of some dumb digital readout. :unsure:

Actually, the young'uns of today will never have a chance to test it. None of them know that a watch has two hands instead of some dumb digital readout. :unsure:

I also read that even if you only have a digital watch, you could draw the hands on a piece of paper and use that!

Using an Analog Wristwatch (one with hands) describe how it can direct you to North.

- Trade it for a compass

- Just keep following the minutes hand for a few hours, then look for the north star

I always enjoy your answers Juicepig. They remind me to think outside of the box. However I am looking for the answer in the box.

I couldn't wait for someone to answer the question, I had to google it and that is the coolest thing ever! I had to go out and try it and it works! ;)

No, but us young'uns tend to carry GPS enabled blackberrys. You go chasing a canadian goose around trying to tie your silly watch around its neck - I'll find north for you.

[- Trade it for a compass

- Rub it on your shirt to build up static electricity, then set it down. The hour hand will point towards the north

- Throw it high enough in the air that it breaks free of earth's gravitational field. The earth will be rotating under it towards the east, so the watch's apparent direction is west. North is 90 degrees to the right.

- Set the watch to Standard Time and point the hour hand towards the sun. South is halfway between the hour hand and the 12. (Disclaimer: works only if you're on a meridian that's a multiple of 15.)

- Flush it down a toilet and measure the speed at which the water circles down the drain. Do this again with another watch at a different location. If the water is circling faster the second location is farther north than the first one.

dave

- Rub it on your shirt to build up static electricity, then set it down. The hour hand will point towards the north

- Throw it high enough in the air that it breaks free of earth's gravitational field. The earth will be rotating under it towards the east, so the watch's apparent direction is west. North is 90 degrees to the right.

- Set the watch to Standard Time and point the hour hand towards the sun. South is halfway between the hour hand and the 12. (Disclaimer: works only if you're on a meridian that's a multiple of 15.)

- Flush it down a toilet and measure the speed at which the water circles down the drain. Do this again with another watch at a different location. If the water is circling faster the second location is farther north than the first one.

dave

Despite the apparent sarcasm Dave got the right answer! Point the hour hand of your watch at the sun and the line that bisects the angle between noon and the hour hand is the north/south line. It is accurate only if your watch is set for true local time. As Dave mentions in standard time that is only on certain meridians. But whether you have accurate time or not it is still an estimate of north.

Next question to dabhib07.

Edited by bobbarley

Hi Dave, are you sure this is right? I just Googled to find the location of Magnetic North and its not 11° east by my reckoning (no pun intended).

Maybe the question should have been "What do one mean when one says that the magnetic declination in Toronto is 11° east?" [:anibad:] The "north" reported to me by my magnetic compass is approximately 11° west of true north, so if I want to find true north I need to adjust my reading by 11° to the east. What is the maximum such adjustment that has to be made somewhere in Canada? (This is not intended to be a tricky question.)

dave

The lines of declination curve around Canada. I am going to guess that in some places the declination might be as high as 90 degrees.

After guessing I googled. I am wrong. Dont even bother telling me how wrong I am. :anibad:

Edited by bobbarley

If the magnetic north pole is still in Canada, the highest declination would probably be when you are standing exactly on it, with your compass totally confused and trying to point down... infinite declination?

If you're directly north of the magnetic pole, your compass will point south, but I like your answer better. You're up next.

dave

If the magnetic north pole is still in Canada, the highest declination would probably be when you are standing exactly on it, with your compass totally confused and trying to point down... infinite declination?

Uhhhm...I think you mean inclination

Here in Toronto we experience a magnetic declination of approximately 11° East. What is the maximum declination that you can experience in Canada?

dave

The span of declination that can be observed in Canada range from 70ºE to over 80ºW, and those can only be seen if you are north of the magnetic North Pole. So the maximum adjustment would be about 80ºW if you are on Ellesmere Island and north of the magnetic North Pole. Despite the fact that this is the right answer, I will let the RHW ask the next question (it was given to her anyway).

http://gsc.nrcan.gc.ca/geomag/field/images/fig21.gif

Edited by shearzone

RedHairedWitch, you'd better ask a question soon otherwise there's a danger this thread will be taken over by geo-pedantry! :)

I liked the "survival" theme questions myself.

Cheers!

C-A

Alright then, a survival question it is. After so many questions, it's getting difficult to be sure no to repeat an old question, though.

Let me think... :angry::):)

Here is an easy one :

If you get lost in the wilderness of Canada, what is the most important tool you should use to insure your survival?

If you get lost in the wilderness of Canada, what is the most important tool you should use to insure your survival?

Your brain!

We have a winner! :wub:

The most important tool : your brain (reference : any good survival book)

The most important rule : Don't Panic! (reference : Douglas Adams)

Without a brain, all the other tools become useless (so many people get lost with a GPS in their pocket... a GPS that they don't know how to use...) Using your brain before going into the woods also helps you have many other useful tools in your backpack.

(And some nice Ibycus topo maps in your GPS can help finding the way out too :rolleyes: )

Guess that means I'm up....

Describe the origin of the word quiz. No cheating please.

Aha! I knew that taking latin in high school would help me some day!

'quiz' comes from 'qui es' meaning 'who are you?'. So sayeth my old latin prof anyway. <_<

'quiz' comes from 'qui es' meaning 'who are you?'. So sayeth my old latin prof anyway. <_<

Perhaps, but how did it come to be introduced in to the english language? Its actually quite an interesting story.

'quiz' comes from 'qui es' meaning 'who are you?'. So sayeth my old latin prof anyway. :grin:

Perhaps, but how did it come to be introduced in to the english language? Its actually quite an interesting story.

Hmm. I don't know any more than that without resorting to dictionary.com. :grin:

'quiz' comes from 'qui es' meaning 'who are you?'. So sayeth my old latin prof anyway. :lol:

Hmm. I don't know any more than that without resorting to dictionary.com. :rolleyes:

As I recall, wasn't it some Irish guy on a bet?

He bet that he could introduce a new word to English, came up with 'quiz' then just graffitied it all over Dublin. (Or a Scottish guy in Glasgow, or an English guy in London. Something like that.)

'quiz' comes from 'qui es' meaning 'who are you?'. So sayeth my old latin prof anyway. :)

Hmm. I don't know any more than that without resorting to dictionary.com. ;)

As I recall, wasn't it some Irish guy on a bet?

He bet that he could introduce a new word to English, came up with 'quiz' then just graffitied it all over Dublin. (Or a Scottish guy in Glasgow, or an English guy in London. Something like that.)

Ding, ding, ding. I declare it close enough.

http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq...ns/quiz?view=uk

<deleted>

-----------

On review, since the ibycus hasn't weighed in, and I think it's his call, I withdraw the question.

You must be missing post #2494 where Ibycus declares you da winner!

I guess I missed that in the a sudden late Friday afternnon rush at work. B) Somehow I got it in my mind that CouparAngus had said that. [looks for appropriate headslapping icon, doesn't see one]

I'll post a question shortly.