Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

okay, i'll try for a good one for my first question.

who was john harrison and what was his claim to fame?

Hey, I've got the geocoin! He invented the marine chronometer which aided in navigation at sea. I think it was a big leap forward, otherwise why would it be on a geocoin?

As for who he was: He was the guy who invented the marine chronometer!

I've got one...

On August 16th, 1960, Joseph Kittinger reached the altitude of 31km in an helium balloon. He then jumped and fell for 14 minutes before he reached the ground again.

The question is: Which speed did he reach before he opened his parachute?

I've got one...

On August 16th, 1960, Joseph Kittinger reached the altitude of 31km in an helium balloon. He then jumped and fell for 14 minutes before he reached the ground again.

120mp/h

I happen to know that is too low... but only because I cheated...

I've got one...

120mp/h

I was going to guess in the 360's, but I remember seeing something about this and that he had to slow down considerably otherwise his parachute would have failed.

I've got one...

120mp/h

It can't be low by very much. And 2h2g... tsk tsk! *Miles* per hour??

If I remember correctly, my grade eleven physics tells me he would have been falling at 32 ft. per second, or 9.69 metres per second, unless he artificially slowed his descent perhaps with retro-rockets ?

You are remembering acceleration due to gravity, which is 9.8 m/s^2, which means every second the speed would increase by 9.8 m/s, so after only 2 seconds, the speed would be 19.6 m/s. (Until terminal velocity is reached.)

If I remember correctly, my grade eleven physics tells me he would have been falling at 32 ft. per second, or 9.69 metres per second, unless he artificially slowed his descent perhaps with retro-rockets ?

You are remembering acceleration due to gravity, which is 9.8 m/s^2, which means every second the speed would increase by 9.8 m/s, so after only 2 seconds, the speed would be 19.6 m/s. (Until terminal velocity is reached.)

'Bummer !' - I suppose the 50 years since my Gd. 11 physics hath dulled the cerebral synapse.

I've got one...

120mp/h

It can't be low by very much. And 2h2g... tsk tsk! *Miles* per hour??

I know, I know...but can you tell me how many feet per second detonating cord detonates. Some of us are still stuck between two worlds.

You're way too low.

In normal skydiving altitudes, they can reach a maximum of 320 km/h with their head down. This is because of the of the air friction against their body.

Now, at 31 km of altitude, there ain't much air. Hint, hint!

:huh:

I will double your number as a guess. 640km/hr

Hmmm.... flipped the GPSr into British Grid and tried to input coords...

It wants format -- ----- -------. Tried to enter two digits in the first two spots (separate from the rest) and it wouldn't take numerals but the only choice that popped up was the keypad for numerals :laughing: .

Ok, back to the drawing board - literally as well as figuratively ;)

OK, thanks, I didn't think I'd get close enough. Just a side note, what if he went just a bit faster and broke the sound barrier?

OK, a simple one, Using the British Grid system of coordinates, in what park would you be if you were at:

5838219 -4247074.

OK, I don't think it is as simple as I thought it might be. I bet there is a lot of searching going on. I actually worked backwards to get the British Grid coordinates, and am having trouble to actually convert the British coordinates back to Lat/Lon.

I will give you a hint a bit later, giving you the UTM coordinates which are easier to convert. In the meantime, if anyone comes up with the answer, let me know how you did it.

Next hint coming later, I must go find a cache now.

OK, thanks, I didn't think I'd get close enough. Just a side note, what if he went just a bit faster and broke the sound barrier?

OK, a simple one, Using the British Grid system of coordinates, in what park would you be if you were at:

5838219 -4247074.

Out of the blue guess... Kruger National Park?

I am not sure how the last two answers both ended up in Africa. The national park is in Canada.

I was thinking, given that you've given the coordinates in the British Grid System (which I know nothing about, but presumably has 0,0 somewhere in England), and given the large negative value of the 'Y' coordinate, and positive X coordinate that it was reasonable that the coordinates would put you somewhere in Southern Africa. I was guessing that it would be Kruger, because its a big, famous park.

14U E 417741 N 5632868

Anybody with a toolbox full of waypoint converters should get it quickly now.

Aren't we supposed to be doing this without "cheating"? I could, and (now have) plugged the coordinates in to Mapsource, and get the answer instantly, but isn't that "not allowed"?

ibycus, I know we are not to use Google or equivalent, nor do I write the rules for this game, but since the GPS is the number one tool in this game (sport) of geocaching, I would assume you can use the GPS in locating this park. Having said that, doesn't every geocacher have, on his computer, every and all gadgets, available to him at an instants notice, so that he can be that FTF?java script:emoticon(':unsure:', 'smid_26')

:D

Edited by Tech Nic

You guys must have set your clocks a few hours ahead. Anyway, Ibycus, you are indeed correct. For those of you who haven't looked at Riding Mountain National Park, take a look, in particular at the south end, at Clear Lake. There are a few caches there, and in particular GCWW1C. It is a 9 part multi and looks like a lot of thought went into this one. 14U E 417741 N 5632868 converts to N50 50.500 E100 10.100 or use your GPSr

Congrats.

Given that I know that is the right answer, I suppose its my turn to ask a question.

In keeping with the National Parks theme,

What species in Banff National Park is the most endangered?

Is it the Banff Spring Snail? :unsure:

You got it.

I remember reading an article some time ago about some guy who went swimming in one of the few pools this thing is found in. They had a hard time charging him though, as the monitoring equipment set up to observe the snails was found to be inoperative at the time of the incident.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/nature/eep-sar/itm3-/eep-sar3a3_e.asp

14U E 417741 N 5632868 converts to N50 50.500 E100 10.100 or use your GPSr

I would still like to know how to convert British Grid to Lat Long/UTM as your original question posed.

I am not sure how to convert British Grid to Lat/Lon, but the numbers in the quote are UTM coordinates converted to Lat/Lon. There are excel spreadsheets out there that will convert UTM to/from Lat/Lon.

I used the geocaching.com conversion page to convert N 50 50.500 E100 10.100 to the British Grid coordinates, but it will not go backwards.

Most GPSrs will handle UTM coordinates by selecting that via the setup units menu, and by selecting that, you can pan the map and find the park.

I am not sure how to convert British Grid to Lat/Lon, but the numbers in the quote are UTM coordinates converted to Lat/Lon. There are excel spreadsheets out there that will convert UTM to/from Lat/Lon.

I have been watching this question with interest and wonder how you got a Britsh Grid answer for a location in Canada. The British National Grid system only works in Great Britain. The system uses standard easting and northing positions in Great Britain and measures the positive number of meters from thsoe spots, just like UTM is all positive.

That's why you can't transform back because you have been using coords outside of the working range of BNG. Also, its based on the ETRS89 datum not WGS84 (the gps standard). By the way, take some coordinates in Great Britain, use the Ordinance Survey convereter, and it will convert back and forth correctly. Coords outside of Great Britain, nothing.

JD