Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

I will give it to greywynd.

Yes its the English River.

The part I was hoping someone would identify that she was being "side-launched" at the Collingwood Shipyards.

"Side-Launching" is not very common and is usually only found on inland waterways like the Great Lakes.

If you every get to Collingwood, visit the museum and watch the "side-launch" video, very spectacular.

Also, if you get to the Collingwood waterfront where the shipyard was you will find special plaques in the walkway naming each and everyone of the ships launched in Collingwood, well worth the trip.

Take it away greywynd....

Binrat

Harwood Ontario is located on the southern shore of Rice Lake. Long ago, there was a 'terminal' located there, that would allow passengers to ride north to Peterborough.

Can anyone tell me what kind of 'terminal' it was, and for bonus points, what year it would have ceased operating?

Is this it?

There was a terminal for the Cobourg-Peterborough Railway which ran across Rice Lake on a causeway. The last train to cross was in 1860

That would be it Ducky. If one looks at the aerial pics on google maps, the outline of parts of the causeway can still be seen. It's marked on maps for boaters because it's still a water hazard.

I will give it to greywynd.

Yes its the English River.

The part I was hoping someone would identify that she was being "side-launched" at the Collingwood Shipyards.

"Side-Launching" is not very common and is usually only found on inland waterways like the Great Lakes.

:rolleyes: Mr. LS pointed out to me that it was being side-launched probably on the the Great Lakes, but it was the specific ship that had us scratching our heads!

Hmmm....some of these recent questions seem to be straying a little off topic. :D

To keep it within topic I suggest the questions fall into one or more of these loose categories:

- Geocaching

- Navigation

- Geomatics/graphy/physics etc

- The Canadian hiking experience

- Cycling, Canoeing, Kayaking or any other means of arriving at a cache.

- Camping

Seems to me that sailing on a ship, scouting or crossing a bridge falls into your category list but it's your topic. :D

Edited by moop

Hmmm....some of these recent questions seem to be straying a little off topic. :D

To get it back on-track, I'll ask the next question. :D

Hmm, I think the location of shipbuilding yard and the location of the bridge both qualify as geography. Hmm, Collingwood and Jonqueire are both in the list of Geographical Names of Canada database of National Resources Canada, so that's geography isn't it? And asking where the boat launching and where the bridge are located are questions about geography then aren't they? So, how were these off topic? Besides, seems like people enjoyed the questions from what I read. Wasn't that the real point?

Oh well, I guess I'll just get out of this thread so I don't make another mistake. :lol:

edited to add: Port Morien is also in the Geographical Names database and the question was also a where question so also geography.

JD

Edited by JDandDD

Hmmm....some of these recent questions seem to be straying a little off topic. :P

To get it back on-track, I'll ask the next question. :(

Q: In what century, and in which country, was the magnetic compass first employed in navigation?

Perhaps there should be a rule included that prevents the asking of questions already posed :ph34r:

To get it back on-track, I'll ask the next question. :mad:

Q: In what century, and in which country, was the magnetic compass first employed in navigation?

Perhaps there should be a rule included that prevents the asking of questions already posed :blink:

I know you are just joking there, but just in case anyone else takes it seriously, I think there could never be such a rule, and posters shouldn't really worry about asking a question that has already been asked. Reason is twofold: First, it would be virtually impossible for anyone new to join the thread unless they have a serious excess of time on their hands to read through 45 pages of posts. Second, I've been here from the beginning and am pretty sure I can't remember all the questions that have been asked and I would say anyone who can has a pretty good memory.

Hmmm....some of these recent questions seem to be straying a little off topic. :)

To get it back on-track, I'll ask the next question. :)

Perhaps there should be a rule included that prevents the asking of questions already posed :o

I know you are just joking there, but just in case anyone else takes it seriously, I think there could never be such a rule, and posters shouldn't really worry about asking a question that has already been asked. Reason is twofold: First, it would be virtually impossible for anyone new to join the thread unless they have a serious excess of time on their hands to read through 45 pages of posts. Second, I've been here from the beginning and am pretty sure I can't remember all the questions that have been asked and I would say anyone who can has a pretty good memory.

ok, question is worded differently but i believe it is the same question. Should be the same answer!

Olmec Hematite was used circa 1000BC in Mexico

Although there is no proof that they used it for navigation, one would argue that they needed to navigate short distances for it to be useful at all. :o