Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

It is an old Survey Cairn. It was a dividing point between four properties. There is a little sign close by... shown here:

261e20cb-d404-4802-9efa-92a9c9b2b9ac.jpg

About two metres away, is a newer version, you can see the four sections shown on the benchmark:

ad554393-f098-441b-8b8e-962c69e968e4.jpg

So who got it right? greywynd was the first to get very close, even though QJ was perhaps closer in his choice of words... So I guess it goes to greywynd.

Sorry folks for keeping you all waiting. Somehow I missed the notifications to the thread for a couple rounds!!

Not sure about the survey chain question....will have to think about that one. In the meantime, a caching question....and I'll be honest, at this point I don't know the exact answer, but have heard that the situation is correct.

This coming weekend, I'm doing some caching while on a trip (within Canada). I understand there is a cache spot where I can log not just one, but two caches at the same time. And yes, they are both physical caches. Two parts required for the answer...first, what cache(s) is it, and second, why/how is it that two caches are basically together?

This coming weekend, I'm doing some caching while on a trip (within Canada). I understand there is a cache spot where I can log not just one, but two caches at the same time. And yes, they are both physical caches. Two parts required for the answer...first, what cache(s) is it, and second, why/how is it that two caches are basically together?

You must be coming to Victoria!

1. One's a go-to and the other is a final for a puzzle (so I'm not telling you which the go-to is!).

2. Both pre-date entering multiple waypoints.

I know of 3 caches in Kingston that all have the same start co-ords, and yes they are multis and the caches are in different locations.

Binrat

From what I understand these are both the finals. One is a trad, the other, I believe may also be, but not certain on that. Either way, there are two logs to sign at the same location.

Will see what responses I get in the morning, I may post a hint.

I am going to take a stab that it is....

Trading Digits by Binthair

and

GAG6 Gnome's Tree House by Tick & Nammie

Binrat

I was going by what I had heard, and hadn't actually got the names of the caches. Looking at what I can quickly find though, it looks like you may be correct, and it was two caches in Ottawa that I heard (from several sources) share a same final location. (At least, from what I understand, during the winter.) Since I'm headed there this weekend, I thought it an appropriate question at the time.

Take it away, Binrat!

Due to the snow storm I thought a nice refreshing and easy question should be posted.

When was Canada's oldest brewery established, who owns it and where is it?

For bonus points

When was the oldest active brewery in the USA established, who owns it and where is it?

Cheers,

Binrat

Down here at the end of Lake Ontario near Kingston when we get a snow storm we get everything picked up off of the Lake. This is called a "Lake Effect" Snow Storm, and it was a biggie yesterday and I had to drive through it.

I will take snow over cold anyday.

Enjoy your Heat Wave.

Binrat

The year is 1851. Approximately N45 16.620 W66 02.640

ssjuicepig.jpg

Where the Marsh Creek Waters meet Courtenay Bay

Heave around and let 'er fly

At James Smith's yard her keel did lay

There's no ship here can match her

She was launched with a groan and thud

She's like a demon sailing by

She's stuck two weeks in the Marsh Creek mud

There's no ship here can catch her

And it's Liverpool in fifteen days

The seven seas her name will grace

The wind in her hair and her sails unfurled

She's the fastest ship in all the world

And her name is ______________

Edited by danoshimano

More for a giggle than to be taken seriously :lol:

I think they're something the military built during WWII to house some sort of large gun and the round doors at the front opened when they needed to use 'it' to defend the harbour. They probably have a specific name for the weapon and the building but because Mr. LS is out right now you get the less techy version :lol:

I think we have some of those 'whatchamacallits' in a park here in Esquimalt on what used to be military land.

Where are they? Um... on a hillside facing the water in two different directions like east and south east since you're on the other coast? I think the ones here face west and south west.

Now you know why I don't take the car in to be repaired either :blink:

Mrs. LS

More for a giggle than to be taken seriously :lol:

I think they're something the military built during WWII to house some sort of large gun and the round doors at the front opened when they needed to use 'it' to defend the harbour. They probably have a specific name for the weapon and the building but because Mr. LS is out right now you get the less techy version :blink:

I think we have some of those 'whatchamacallits' in a park here in Esquimalt on what used to be military land.

Where are they? Um... on a hillside facing the water in two different directions like east and south east since you're on the other coast? I think the ones here face west and south west.

Now you know why I don't take the car in to be repaired either :lol:

Mrs. LS

Your right about the military, WWII and harbour defense

My guess is along the same lines as Mrs LS, but...

They are gun sheds and used to house the avalanche control guns in the Rockies.

Nope

Mr. LS just came home...

They're not gun emplacements he says (but nice try honey :blink: ) they house search lights for harbour defence . Guns would be mounted the same area but not in those sheds. So he says anyway :lol:

Their location? He says "Are they located at York Redoubt" or "McNabbs Island"?

We have a winner! Yes they are search light housings located on McNab's Island and Strawberry Battery near York Redoubt. The Guns were next to them and covered the submarine net that was strung between them.

Edited by Ducky

Here is another "what is this" type of question. The photo below is from a Wikipedia article, however I have used it a number of times in courses I have taught about GPS use. The photo is from Barrow Alaska shows an antenna array used for receiving radio signals... it is relevant to geocachers.

What purpose does this antenna array serve? Remember... no Googling :huh:

94d4f6f9-5e49-4b6e-9412-f25e11299d51.jpg