Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

What is the most extreme easterly community in Canada? Cape Spear? or the maybe the community just before

Bonus point if you know the name of the most easterly Geocache in Canada ........Extreme East - Great cache. Saw lots of whales but don't know what kind they were..... any ideas?

Second Bonus point if you know who placed it. VO2WW

The majestic and graceful Humpback is the most commonly sighted whale at Cape Spear. Their acrobatic displays always captivate and excite those privileged to catch a view of them. Visitors are also likely to see Minke and Fin whales. During the summer of 2002, Orcas were spotted at least four times with one pod having a minimum of 15 individuals! White-sided dolphins, Beaked dolphins, Porpoises, Harbour seals and Otters have all been seen from the most easterly point in Canada as well.

Thanks, Binrat. It's just as well they didn't use their last names. Burka GPSMap 60C just doesn't have the same ring to it. :anicute:

One of the earliest forms of bicycle had a large front wheel and a small rear wheel. What is the value of its popular name in today's British currency?

Edited by moop

One of the earliest forms of bicycle had a large front wheel and a small rear wheel. What is the value of its popular name in today's British currency?

Penny (farthing)

You didn't think it would be that easy did you? :anicute: The operative word in the question is "today's".

Thanks, Binrat. It's just as well they didn't use their last names. Burka GPSMap 60C just doesn't have the same ring to it. :anicute:

Would it be called a pence farthing?

Oh dear. Maybe there aren't as many older ex-pats around here as I thought. :D

15th February 1971 was Decimalisation Day in Britain. While the pound remained the basic unit of currency, it was now divided into 100 pence. Previously it was divided into 20 shillings and shillings were divided into 12 pennies. A farthing (which ceased to be legal tender on 31st December 1960) was worth 1/4 of a penny.

Now, who's the fastest math wiz?

Walt Whitman

Here's a question about stone carvings and rock paintings. Are the stone carvings and rock paintings that we admire and value for their history only the graffiti of an earlier society? If so, the graffiti of today may be of historic value in hundreds of years.

You are correct, sir! Interesting point you make. The concern I was going to voice was how many pictographs were destroyed in carving the Walt Whitman memorial.

Here's your hammer and chisel. Now carve your question. :D

Who's name defaces Mazinaw Rock in Ontario's Bon Echo Provincial Park?

I refuse to answer on the ground I might incriminate myself... hide.gif

I didn't know you were that old, TOMTEC! :D (It was done in 1919)

I have this habit of signing my name whenever I visit a place, (some have spotted me doing it while caching...) so if you know where to look, yeah, you'll find my name there... just not in 1919, only around 80 years later.

TOMTEC

I have this habit of signing my name whenever I visit a place, (some have spotted me doing it while caching...) so if you know where to look, yeah, you'll find my name there... just not in 1919, only around 80 years later.

TOMTEC

Soo......this time of year are you writing it in the snow? hehe

I have seen the "TOMTEC was here" sign a couple times......though to prevent further incrimination, I won't mention where!!

A geography question, that alludes to an operation that required precise surveying skills, perhaps similar to those used by geocachers (at least those of the bushwhacking genre).

"What historic device was used to move thousands of Algonquin pine logs from one major drainage basin, up and over the 'height of land' and into the upper reaches of the Gull River drainage basin, to start them on a two year floating journey to the sawmills at the shores of Lake Ontario."

A steam donkey and skid roads?

Only partially correct - 'Steam' was involved; but, no skid roads. The 'operation' was somewhat unique and was named after the lumber company that devised it. Anyone familiar with the logging operations of Algonquin Park would be well aware of it. Logs were moved out of Trading Bay of the 'Lake of Bays' into Raven Lake in the Algonquin Highlands.

The item in question is call an........Alligator!

West & Peachey invented the Alligator; a steam powered amphibious warping tug. Alligators were scow-shaped, shallow draft boats, fitted with side mounted paddle wheels, powered by a 20 horsepower steam engine and provided with a cable winch and large anchor. By using the winch Alligators could pull themselves over land, around portages and up as much as a 20 degree incline at the rate of 1 to 2 1/2 miles per day. And they could haul a boom of some 60,000 logs across water against all but the strongest winds. They were heavily but simply built, making rebuilding and repair easy. A perfect and elegant answer to the logging industry's problem with moving log booms across still lakes and slow-flowing rivers.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/arti...gator/index.cfm

Binrat

Close - Binrat!

Certainly the 'alligators' were used extensively throughout the Algonquin region to move logs; but, locally, across a variety of lakes. And, they were capable of winching themselves overland from one lake to another work site. The alligators were an awesome invention; but were a mobile apparatus.

I'm looking for a stationary, much larger, undertaking that was specifically designed to move logs from 'Trading Bay' in one of the three major drainage basins of the Algonquin Highlands into 'Raven Lake' of a second of the three major drainage basins. This was a massive undertaking that demonstrated the magnitude of the lumbering influence on the Algonquin forests.

It is named after one of the major lumber barons of bygone times.

Sorry Juicepig - The 'log chutes' were reasonably common, timbered structures used to bypass obstacles (rapids, etc.) along the rivers.

The structure we're looking for was somewhat 'unique', and was built to move logs over the 'height of land', into another distinct drainage basin. I don't believe it was replicated at any other site, at least in Ontario ( I may be wrong in this assumption!).

(If my geography is correct, I believe some of the Algonquin Logs that travelled this alternate man-made routing, might otherwise have errantly strayed onto Alcona Beach! Are there any 'dead-heads' left in that region ?)

It this is correct I would like Landsharkz to offer up the next question.

Gilmour Tramway?

If this is correct I need more info as I found very little info on it.

Binrat

The Gilmour Tramway it is!

Designed to move Algonquin pine out of the Muskoka, Black River drainage basin, and into the Trent, Gull River drainage Basin, for a more efficient route to the Gilmour lumber mills at Trenton.

Imagine, two 450 horsepower steam engines were used to initially lift logs (as much as 1.5 metres in diameter) as well to pump 20.000 gallons of water per hour 12 metres in elevation to the top of the initial jackladder. The logs then floated 'down' an almost level, timbered, 'slide' for 945 metres to a further set of eight jackladders, each approximately 100 metres in length. The set of eight jackladders were powered by a 400 horsepower water turbine using water from Raven Lake, and raised the logs another 27 metres elevation to the upper dams.

In all, the tramway consisted of 822 metres of jackladder and 969 metres of slide - a total length of 1.8 kilometres. It was desgned to carry as many as 10,000 logs per day.

500 men built the tramway in one year (1893/94) at a cost of about about $200,000.

Read more about this amazing lumbering feat in "When Giants Fall" - by Gary Long, and Randy Whiteman.

Raise your glasses my fellow geocachers to "David Gilmour: Bushwhacker cum laude" - and - on to the next pub question -

The Bullfrog Eh-Team recently purchased a 35 acre tract of what we presumed had been relatively un-used boreal forest. However, we were later able to trace an old, but relatively straight trail through the area. The forest to one side of the trail now has a slightly different forest diversity than the other, so we presumed one side may have been 'selectively' cleared of one species or another many years ago. Along this trail we found 'man-built' piles of random sized rocks of similar size and height as those in your picture; at regular intervals and always on the same side of the trail.

I have no idea whether the rock piles earned a specific name or not; but we presume they may have been of rocks that had either impeded the traffic along the trail, or impeded animals (perhaps grazing cows?) in the historically 'cleared' side of our forest ?? We know there was a small, operable farm nearby, in the 1880 to 1920 era. Interestingly, there is no remnant evidence of any associated fencing.

Perhaps your rock pile query, will assist us to learn more about our 'piles'. Did your 'piles' ward off evil spirits ?