Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

Wow. I think I did indeed grind this one down to nothing!!

Hint, Richard Attenborough played John Hammond in Jurassic park. His brother is generally considered to be the pioneer of the nature documentary.

Piece of cake (now I know who you're referring to). :D That would be David Attenborough. Watched many of his shows on the BBC when I was little.

I have a great question....BUT......2Happy2Gether will have to hold off until others fail horribly.

Here goes...

Have you ever seen the picture of the little fish being eaten by the big fish and then by the bigger fish?

If you have ever used a ammo can for a cache you will more than likely notice they have very unusual markings on them, right.

More often you will notice that a Canadian ammo can will have markings like IVI or CAL.

The three part question is this.....

1. What does IVI and CAL stand for and who owned them?

2. Who bought out IVI and CAL?

3. What MAJOR defense contractor bought out the owner who bought out IVI and CAL?

2Happy2Gether I am guessing will also be able to verify your responses, but if you fail he will have to answer them and win, he will also confirm what all the numbers and letters mean on a ammo can.

Binrat

P.S. Hope this wont be to tough!

Wow. I think I did indeed grind this one down to nothing!!

Hint, Richard Attenborough played John Hammond in Jurassic park. His brother is generally considered to be the pioneer of the nature documentary.

The answer is...David Attenborough!

thanks for the hint though :lol:

Phil/ve1bvd

Have you ever seen the picture of the little fish being eaten by the big fish and then by the bigger fish?

If you have ever used a ammo can for a cache you will more than likely notice they have very unusual markings on them, right.

More often you will notice that a Canadian ammo can will have markings like IVI or CAL.

3. What MAJOR defense contractor bought out the owner who bought out IVI and CAL?

1. Industries Valcartier? Incorporated & Canadian Arsenals Limited

2. SNC-Lavalin

3. Uh, I think they only bought SNC Technologies, not the entire company. I'll let someone else take a stab at this one... he he.

TOMTEC

TOMTEC is so close and he is right, the MAJOR American did buy out the SNC Tec side of the house.

This was a real tough question so I think I will let TOMTEC have it.

The MAJOR defense contractor is General Dynamics and the new company is General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems-Canada Inc. or GD-OTS for short.

Here is the short history LINK

Binrat

Heh, the reason I didn't include GD was that I didn't want to have to ask the next question... Oh well, here's a quick one off the top of my head.

We'll stick to the Ammo Can theme... assuming you have a standard M2A1 ammo can (often referred to as a .50 cal) which measures somewhere in the neighborhood of 7.25" high... How many would you have to stack (round to the nearest 10) to make a pile as tall as the CN Tower?

TOMTEC

1. Industries Valcartier? Incorporated & Canadian Arsenals Limited

2. SNC-Lavalin

3. Uh, I think they only bought SNC Technologies, not the entire company. I'll let someone else take a stab at this one... he he.

TOMTEC

Here's the technical answer.

1. IVI = Industries Valcartier Industries (bilingual)

CAL (more commonly CA-) = Canadian Arsenals Limited

2. Correct

3. SNC-TEC (IVI, CA-, HFI...) was bought out by General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems (GD-OTS) in 2007. It has made the receipts off contract a complete nightmare.

Lot numbers are read as follows: e.g. IVI90F01-10 - IVI (mfrs monogram), 90 (year of mfr), F (month of mfr - A-M excluding I), 01-10 (run number)

Edited by 2happy2gether

Heh, the reason I didn't include GD was that I didn't want to have to ask the next question... Oh well, here's a quick one off the top of my head.

We'll stick to the Ammo Can theme... assuming you have a standard M2A1 ammo can (often referred to as a .50 cal) which measures somewhere in the neighborhood of 7.25" high... How many would you have to stack (round to the nearest 10) to make a pile as tall as the CN Tower?

TOMTEC

rockon.gif Take it away 2happy!

TOMTEC

This is a difficult question to answer. Obviously, you couldn't pile one atop the another as they would fall over long before you reached the necessary height. :P

Alright Mr. Smarty Pants, how about we create an exact 1:1 scale model of the CN Tower using M2A1 ammo cans as giant Lego bricks? How many ammo cans now? (Rounding to the nearest 1000 will do)

nana.gif

TOMTEC

I like the Christmas theme going on here.

What is the name of the radio station at N82 28' W62 30'?

Bonus points if you know why this is seasonally significant, the name of the location and its claim to fame.

:P:P:P

Alert's FM radio station is no more!

CHAR-FM had its license revoked last week at the request of the base commander.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decision.../db2007-422.htm

The base is seasonally significant because Alert always reported when Santa Clause took off from the North Pole to start his rounds on Christmas Eve. I don't know if the loss of the radio station will affect this announcement!

I like the Christmas theme going on here.

What is the name of the radio station at N82 28' W62 30'?

Bonus points if you know why this is seasonally significant, the name of the location and its claim to fame.

:P:P:P

Alert's FM radio station is no more!

CHAR-FM had its license revoked last week at the request of the base commander.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decision.../db2007-422.htm

The base is seasonally significant because Alert always reported when Santa Clause took off from the North Pole to start his rounds on Christmas Eve. I don't know if the loss of the radio station will affect this announcement!

That's correct and extremely sad at the same time.

On to you.....

Hmm. Time for a geocaching question, I think, and one to get people thinking about our troops overseas during the holiday season.

When was the first geocache in Kandahar Airfield (KAF) published? (month and year will be good enough)

For bonus, when was the first geocache in Afghanistan published?

26 March 2006 Heart of Kandahar by 3 War Vet.

Looks as if the EOD team got a little upset with it and used ALOT of foul language in their log.

Binrat

March '06 is correct! Though the date of March 26th is the FTF date; it was published on the 21st and hidden on the 11th.

The first cache in Afghanistan was published in July of '04 and located outside of Kabul. You gotta love warning messages like 'Areas off the path may be mined'!!!!

You're up next, Binrat!

What 6 American Provinces (or whatever they call them) can you travel north to from Canadian Soil?

I think they call them Occupied Territories. :) Having a quick boo at my nearby globe, I'm going to guess at Alaska, Washington, Minnesota, Michigan, New York and Maine.

What 6 American Provinces (or whatever they call them) can you travel north to from Canadian Soil?

I think they call them Occupied Territories. :) Having a quick boo at my nearby globe, I'm going to guess at Alaska, Washington, Minnesota, Michigan, New York and Maine.

Uhm, I mean 7 B)

B)

Or take it away, that is a perfectly valid answer :)

Edited by Juicepig

This sounds interesting, I thought it was only two you could do.

A little clarification would be nice in the final answer, like from what town to town.

Binrat

Alaska from British Columbia (several points).

Washington from Vancouver Island.

Minnesota near Sandbar Island.

Michigan from Windsor to Detroit.

New York near Grand Island.

Maine from New Brunswick (several points).

7th???

Granted, some of these crossing might get your feet wet or your shirt torn on barbed wire. But the question didn't specify using recognised crossing points. :(

Anyhoo, on to the next question.

1. What ghost town lies at about the midpoint of Quebec's Highway 389?
  2. What was its major industry before its death?
  3. What the heck was I doing there?

I'll try...

1) The city of Asbestos (it could also be Murdochville)

2) An asbestos mine (and in Murdochville, it's also a mine, but of another rescource)

3) Finding some geocaches

EDIT: After verification I see I was wrong. (But I had part of the answer)

Edited by lewis82

I'll try...

1) The city of Asbestos (it could also be Murdochville)

2) An asbestos mine (and in Murdochville, it's also a mine, but of another rescource)

3) Finding some geocaches

EDIT: After verification I see I was wrong. (But I had part of the answer)

Yup. Neither are ghost towns or on Highway 389. My trip was during the summer of 1998 which predates geocaching. I'm just fishing for creative answers for part 3). :unsure:

What ghost town lies at about the midpoint of Quebec's Highway 389?

Gagnon

What was its major industry before its death?

Iron Ore mining

What the heck was I doing there?

Driving on a paved divided highway at the start/end of 88km of two lane blacktop

Just for the record, let's parse the question. Setting aside JP's abysmal ignorance of American nomenclature, 'travel north to from Canadian soil', means any direction between 270 and 090, moving clockwise around the compass.

Based on that assumption, I would say that there are four states which lie in a northerly direction from Canada: Maine, accessible from New Brunswick, Michigan, but only if you go from Windsor to Detroit, Washington, the northern tip of the Olympic Peninsula from southern Vancouver Island [it's already been stated that you might get your feet wet on this one, and Alaska, from either BC or the Yukon.

All other access to the US from Canada is in a SOUTHERLY direction.

Your call, JP...

Phil/ve1bvd

What ghost town lies at about the midpoint of Quebec's Highway 389?

Gagnon

What was its major industry before its death?

Iron Ore mining

What the heck was I doing there?

Driving on a paved divided highway at the start/end of 88km of two lane blacktop

Hot dog! We have a wiener!! :P Not suprising since it's in your neighbourhood, relatively speaking. I camped closer to your town in Lac Grande Hermine Park - Wabush. Caught some Northern Lights (to the south :) ) while there. Here's an excerpt from my diary about Gagnon (aka Gagnonville):

Along the way I passed through what used to be the town of Gagnonville. It is quite bizarre to behold. While travelling along one of the paved sections of the highway, sidewalks suddenly appear with side-roads leading nowhere. Evidently a ghost town but without the ghosts. There isn't a building to be seen. I later learned it died about a decade ago when the local mine went bust and they dynamited everything. Further up the road at Mont Wright is another story. A huge iron ore mine devastates the landscape. The tailings can be seen many miles away. Getting low on gas I head into Fermont and find a nasty suprise. Up to then I hadn't paid more than $0.50/litre for gas. Here is was $0.699!

Oh, and I was planning on doing the big circuit via Newfoundland in my new Subaru Impreza. Then I found out how expensive and time consuming the ferry from Goose Bay was. I returned the way I came. Fun trip!

Your question, VO2WW...

Edited by moop

Based on that assumption, I would say that there are four states which lie in a northerly direction from Canada: Maine, accessible from New Brunswick, Michigan, but only if you go from Windsor to Detroit, Washington, the northern tip of the Olympic Peninsula from southern Vancouver Island [it's already been stated that you might get your feet wet on this one, and Alaska, from either BC or the Yukon.

All other access to the US from Canada is in a SOUTHERLY direction.

Your call, JP...

nope, 7 ;)

Here are the ones you missed with accompanying maps (slow day at work)

New York: http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=42.9...p;z=11&om=1

New Hampshire: http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=45.2...p;z=14&om=1

Minnesota: http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=48.4...p;z=12&om=1