Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

Re-checked atlas, should have used better glasses, made spelling error, should be Weyakwin Lake. Will move lake a little further south N 54° 35 W 106°

That answer is within 10km. Geezer55 is next.

However the best non-googled answer would be N54° 30' as that would be half way between 49° and 60°

The Longitude would be near 106° (105°55') but not exact as the Manitoba border is not quite on 102°

You can cross back and forth between B.C. and Alberta using the North Kootenay Pass. There also is a cache located there named properly enough, "The North Kootenay Pass" cache. When you get there you get a great view of the Flathead Valley in B.C.. We usually take our quads up there once a summer for a great ride. Now for the question . . . Who, after the Kootenay Indians, is credited for finding this pass and when?

Edited by geezer55

You can cross back and forth between B.C. and Alberta using the North Kootenay Pass. There also is a cache located there named properly enough, "The North Kootenay Pass" cache. When you get there you get a great view of the Flathead Valley in B.C.. We usually take our quads up there once a summer for a great ride. Now for the question . . . Who, after the Kootenay Indians, is credited for finding this pass and when?

That's easy - "Geezer55" gets some credit for finding the Kootenay Pass. When ? - Well, he found it (again) just last summer, on his quad And he was 'long after' the Kootenay Indians.

Just came across this thread while taking a breather from the mort25 farce. Let's try Sticky Moose and Wilberforce, Ontario.

You got it right MOOP; Sticky Moose is a very energetic, community minded individual and deserves serious credit for attracting the interest of local (WGS), provincial (COG), and national (CTV), geocaching enthusiasts. The Geopub Quiz Torch is now passed to you.

I would agree; the Mort25 farce raises interesting issues (but, not for this forum line).

Alrighty then! There is a phenomenon in the North Pacific that concerns Greenpeace and other environmental groups. Please provide:

1. One of its names.
  2. Its approximate coordinates.

I'm guessing it's got something to do with the area close to Hawaii where the ocean currents have trapped whole bunch of floating debris creating a highly toxic mess. I haven't got a clue what it's called, so I'll leave it to someone else.

TOMTEC

The Pacific Trash Vortex!

Good luck finding the coordinates without google though..

In this instance, approximate is +/- 10°.

N 32° W 157° !!!!!!!!!

Close enough! According to Google Earth, the Eastern Garbage Patch is at N 31° 20.839' W 146° 2.576'. Since it's not stationary, I imagine it occasionally strays into your coordinates. Greenpeace's article may be found here. Over to you, JP.

Close enough! According to Google Earth, the Eastern Garbage Patch is at N 31° 20.839' W 146° 2.576'. Since it's not stationary, I imagine it occasionally strays into your coordinates. Greenpeace's article may be found here. Over to you, JP.

You would think that something the size of texas would have atleast one picture of it on the internet... Far be it for me to question greenpeace :D

Hamster is on the wheel for the next question.. please hold...

Edited by Juicepig

It would stand to reason that seeing Mt. Logan is Canada's tallest mountain then it should also have the largest circumference.

Except that mountains wear down in height over the years, but their bases would remain relatively unchanged. So you could have ancient mountains like the La Cloche in Ontario that are large around the base but a reasonably fit person could walk up to the peak in running shoes.

It would stand to reason that seeing Mt. Logan is Canada's tallest mountain then it should also have the largest circumference.

Mt Logan is correct, but the reasoning is off (you still win though)

Mt Logan reportedly has the largest base circumference of any mountain on Earth, despite not being the highest. Due to active tectonic uplifting, Mount Logan is actually still rising in elevation. Before 1992, the exact height of Mount Logan was unknown and measurements ranged from 5,959 metres (19,551 ft) to 6,050 metres (19,849 ft). In May 1992, a GSC expedition climbed Mount Logan and fixed the current height of 5,959 metres (19,551 ft) using GPS.

Your turn old man

I don't know if this is a question that falls in the parameters but here goes. With the days getting colder and caching slowing down I thought of what question would warm us up. The first clue is, I was born in this country. I know, not fair because almost all of you don't know who I am. So two more clues. I think the country looks like a butterfly but others say it looks more like a bra. This country is located between North and South America. This country does have some caches located on it and around it. Thinking of sun and sand while the temperatures today hover around minus 15°C.

ok...haven't looked on this forever so excuse me if this is a repeat question

very simple but timely

what is a generally accepted thickness for ice to be before crossing it while geocaching on foot?

don't try this over moving water folks!

If I remember right, it's two inches. I'll have to dig up that web site that gave required thicknesses for everything from foot traffic to tractor-trailers.

last i heard was 0.4m

Last I heard, that still may not be thick enough to support Juicepig. crackup.gif

Even though you could easily drive a light truck across it.

TOMTEC

Not sure about Juicepig (What shoe size does he have?); but 0.4 m would easily support most trucks. If I remember correctly, in the early 1960s we used to put the township grader out on Wawa Lake to clear snow for an ice-track for our Sports car club if there was at least 1 ft. of 'clear' ice. And then several sports cars (VW's, Sprites, MG3, and my Econoline van) had a great time. I believe fully loaded logging trucks would use ice-roads North of Kenora, if there was 3 feet of ice. I know I've walked on what is referred to as 'Rubber Ice' that was 2 inches thick. 'A Very scary experience'.

I'd say the safely recommended ice thickness for the average adult (unsupported by snowshoes) is about 8 cm.