Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

Earliest form of a functional compass ? How about 'a shadow' ? The sun casts a shadow along a measurable path - creating one point in time and then another point in time, of the observers choice. The difference in the location of the 'points' then provides a 'direction' to follow - hence the the SHADOW is a 'functional' (read moving, not fixed') compass.

Or, is this response just too geographicly, chronologicly simple ?

Edited by Bullfrog Eh-Team

A piece of lodestone (magnetic rock).

Danoshimano is the closest. I was looking for the olmec hematite, which in fact did use a loadstone, and dates back to 1000 B.C. Take it away, Dano!

Guess I thought 'shadows' might have been used to indicate directions before 1000 yr BC ! Oh Well, I'll try harder next time.

Know what? I had never heard of the use of shaddows for direction. So, if y'all think he should get it, I'm easy. I'll let you folks decide. :)

What was the earliest known form of a functionnal compass? (as in something mobile, not the North Star).

A magnetized needle, placed on a small piece of wood, and floating in a shallow bowl. The needle will point to the magnetic north pole, of course. Placing it on the floating piece of wood allows it to swing in azimuth [the horizontal plane]

Howzat?

Phil/ve1bvd

What was the earliest known form of a functionnal compass? (as in something mobile, not the North Star).

A magnetized needle, placed on a small piece of wood, and floating in a shallow bowl. The needle will point to the magnetic north pole, of course. Placing it on the floating piece of wood allows it to swing in azimuth [the horizontal plane]

Howzat?

Phil/ve1bvd

That came much later after the olmec hematite. What you're describing is the pre-cursor to the actual compass.

It looks like a variable geometry exhaust duct from a jet engine with an afterburner. (Chris' answer).

Heh heh heh. Good one.

The correct answer is "Library of Parliament" (close enough, Quigley). It was finished in 1876, and spared from destruction in 1916 when the rest of the Centre Block of the Parliament building was destroyed by fire. I believe it was early evening, and the people who were in the library discovered the fire and closed some big steel doors therefore saving the library.

lop-out.jpg

lop-in.jpg

I'm trying to see the corelation of this with navigation or whatever, and I'm only getting a brain fart.

Perhaps becuase it has more to do with canadian geography.. now stop stinking up the place! :(\

What do these three buildings have in common?

All have parking lots, and roofs

Edited by Juicepig
They all relate to airplanes?

The first might be a air tunnel for testing plane aerodynamics (NASA has one similar to that, if it really is one).

The third is an airport.

And as for the second... no idea.

Nope :huh:

To be more specific im looking for whats within each building (1 item).

#1 isnt in canada, but very canadian (probably the hardest to identify but if you get #2,3 it should be easy)

#2 is visable from danoshimano's building

#3 is next to where I am

Bonus hint:

Gur nafjre vf nyzbfg pregnvayl jvguva 10z bs lbhe pbbeqvangrf.

I'm trying to see the corelation of this with navigation or whatever, and I'm only getting a brain fart.

I think there's a webcam at the Parliament Buildings so this is an actual geocache location B)

Plus, I used Google Earth to navigate my way to it. And, as an added bonus, it is related to the "Canadian Hiking Experience" (specifically canoeing). :huh:

By the way, who is going to correct Wikipedia? I nominate Tomtec.

We second the nomination!

Sorry, I've been banned from editing Wikipedia after the last fiasco. It seems that Microsoft just does not understand the concept of humor. Then again, each of those edits was based on hard facts collected and distributed by my favourite MCSE, so maybe they just can't handle the truth.

So, back to the topic at hand...

NEXT POST WINS!!!

TOMTEC