Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

Methinks this forum topic is running out of interest...

I think it could be that the 'guess the number' game is getting old. Could also be that some are away on vacation. I'll bite on taking the next question.

Canada is bookended by three major mountain belts. Name them.

Edited by shearzone

I don't know the answer, but I have an idea. For "guess the number questions let's make it so there are at least two questions that have the same answer thus making it easier. For example, and this is a sample question only.

Q: This number is how many satellites your GPS receiver must "hear" to establish lat, lon & elevation and also how many wheels on a car.

Well, yeah, but a poor example. You need four satellites for the properties you state; however, there are at least six wheels on a car--one on each corner, one in the trunk [spare] and the one you hold to drive. :ph34r:

I suppose you could also add the flywheel, but perhaps that's a bit technical???

Edit to add: Having said that, I'm sure we haven't exhausted all trivia questions, have we?

Here's one for the East coasters: There are three canals in Nova Scotia. Name them.

Phil/ve1bvd

Edited by ve1bvd

I know 2 of three.....darned if I can think of the third one......

name the ones you know, and I'll give hints on the third one

Rockies and the Laurentions are the two I can think of. I'm thinking there is actually two on the west coast, not just the Rockies, but darned if I can recall.

greywynd

Rockies and the Laurentions are the two I can think of. I'm thinking there is actually two on the west coast, not just the Rockies, but darned if I can recall.

greywynd

Actually, there are alot more than two mountain ranges in western Canada. The Canadian Cordillera (the answer I was looking for) is composed of the Rocky Mountains, Wernecke Mountains, Mackenzie Mountains, Ogilvie Mountains, Franklin Mountains, Pelly Mountains, Selwyn Mountains, Cassiar Mountains, Omineca Mountains, Columbia Mountains, Skeena Mountains, Coastal Mountains and Saint Elias Mountains. The Laurentian Mountains are actually part of a much older mountain range of the Grenville geological province; a billion year old range composed of some of the youngest rocks of the Canadian Shield. They are flanked to the southeast by a younger mountain range named the ____________ Mountains, which are about half the age of the Laurentian Mountains. The third range I have in mind occurs in arctic Canada...any guesses?

Edited by shearzone

Actually, there are alot more than two mountain ranges in western Canada. The Canadian Cordillera (the answer I was looking for) is composed of the Rocky Mountains, Wernecke Mountains, Mackenzie Mountains, Ogilvie Mountains, Franklin Mountains, Pelly Mountains, Selwyn Mountains, Cassiar Mountains, Omineca Mountains, Columbia Mountains, Skeena Mountains, Coastal Mountains and Saint Elias Mountains. The Laurentian Mountains are actually part of a much older mountain range of the Grenville geological province; a billion year old range composed of some of the youngest rocks of the Canadian Shield. They are flanked to the southeast by a younger mountain range named the ____________ Mountains, which are about half the age of the Laurentian Mountains. The third range I have in mind occurs in arctic Canada...any guesses?

Guessing the 'blank' is the appalachians, but thought they were mostly south of the border. Don't know the artic mountains though. :laughing:

Greywynd

Guessing the 'blank' is the appalachians, but thought they were mostly south of the border. Don't know the artic mountains though. :rolleyes:

Greywynd

The Appalachian Mountains actually line the entire south shore of the St Lawrence River and extend all the way to Newfoundland. Maybe the northern mountain range is not as common knowledge as I thought. The answer is the Innuitian Mountains. The Innuitian Mountains line the northwest coast of the northwestern Canadian Arctic Archipelago. I'll pass the next question over to Greywynd for taking the best shot at this question.

Edited by shearzone

OK, anything but natural science!!! :laughing::unsure:

It seems that there aren't too many easterners in the pub. The three canals in Nova Scotia are 1) the Shubenacadie canal, sometimes called the Shubie canal; the Canso Canal, which cuts through the Canso Causeway, and permits navigation between the strait of Canso and the Gulf of St. Lawrence, and the St. Peters Canal, which permits navigation between St. Peters Bay and the Bras d'Or Lakes.

Having stumped the stars, let's switch to GPSrs. Your handheld has one of two types of antenna. What are they?

Phil/ve1bvd

I'll guess Spain. I'm thinking Christopher Columbus here.

Mmmm... sea orienteering? Can it really be orienteering when you are heading into uncharted weather? :rolleyes:

Not bad, but I was talking about orienteering in he woods, using a map and a compass. Usually done on foot, though ski-orienteering is a popular variant in some country (including the one that is the answer).

sweden?

Getting very close.

Scandinavia is where orienteering is most popular still. Large orienteering competitions attract many fans and are shown live on TV!

Now, I thought a few orienteers would try to answer and would jump straight for that part of the world... I guess they're all too busy running around in the woods and so it becomes an easy guessing game :rolleyes:

Finland? (cool, am i the only one playing now? this will be easy!)

Looks like it... still not the correct answer, but not too many possibilities left.

Norway?

Indeed, the first public orienteering competition was held in Norway in 1897.

more info at IOF

2happy2gether steals the win! Congratulations :blink: Your turn!

(Sorry about the delay, I had no computer access all day)

THIS IS NOT A CACHE SPOILER

In the village of Dorset, Ontario there is a Virtual Cache (Dorset Lookout) that overlooks the village and two lakes. How far above those lakes is the viewing platform; in metres?

142 metres. (just visited the cache a couple weeks ago!!)

I tried to buy a t-shirt at the concession there, but they didn't have any that said "I banged my head on the Dorset Tower".