Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

I will safely assume it is not going to be Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump, so how about Springfield? There seems to be a Springfield in every state, so why not Canada?

TOMTEC

Actually, Head-Smashed-In-Buffalo Jump is closer than Springfield...hehe.

Victoria - no

Home - I never thought of that. I suppose you're right, but that's not the answer I was looking for.

OK...there are 203 lakes in Canada that are named Long Lake. This makes it to the top of the list for the most common feature name. My question is; what is the most common place name in Canada?

Home :laughing:

The most common place name in Canada is Mount Pleasant (15) followed by Centreville and Lakeview.

Guiderchachi

Edited by guiderchachi

OK...there are 203 lakes in Canada that are named Long Lake. This makes it to the top of the list for the most common feature name. My question is; what is the most common place name in Canada?

Home :laughing:

The most common place name in Canada is Mount Pleasant (15) followed by Centreville and Lakeview.

Guiderchachi

That is correct...take it away!!!!

Guiderchachi

Hmm, we've had a couple suspect quiz answers lately, so I'll take a moment to remind everyone of the thread's guidelines:

No cheating now, that includes Googling for the answers!

Though feel free to google after you've posted your guess to see just how bad it was!

TOMTEC

Ok next question.

If you google "Canadian Geography" what is the first webpage listed? :laughing:

Obviously that would be Google's search results page containing the many thousand results that match the "Canadian Geography" search criteria. Depending on weather you preformed the search with or without the quotes, the resulting url would likely look as follows:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=Canadian+Geography (without quotes)

http://www.google.ca/search?q=%22Canadian+Geography%22 (with quotes)

And each would provide you with different results.

Of course, you'll find a string of additional data following the base url that provides Google with all sorts of great information on you, your browser and your surfing habits.

Though if you were referring to the webpage you would visit by clicking on the first unsponsored link in the results list, hell if I know...

Hey, it's not even your turn to ask a question yet! nana.gif

Now where's guiderchachi?

TOMTEC

I'm here, now. Sorry it took so long but I had trouble with the PC. I will admit I peeked on that last one, but I didn't know I wasn't supposed to. Any way here is my question:

With Earthcaches seeming to be all the rage these days, I have a related question. How many UNESCO World Heitage Sites are in Atlantic Canada, and what (or where) are they?

As it is almost midnight in Newfoundland on a Friday night, I will check back in the morning to see who was right. Good luck and have a good one!

Guiderchachi

With Earthcaches seeming to be all the rage these days, I have a related question. How many UNESCO World Heitage Sites are in Atlantic Canada, and what (or where) are they?

Off the top of my head I can only come up with 2:

• The old Town of Lunenburg in Nova Scotia
  • The remains of the viking settlement in Newfoundland

But there has got to be a few more...

TOMTEC

TOMTEC

You got two of them, Where's the other one?

Guiderchachi

TOMTEC

You got two of them, Where's the other one?

Guiderchachi

I had to look this up, so I've now taken myself out of the running. We have actually listed three of them, the two that TOMTEC listed and Gros Morne. Mistaken Point has been submitted as a candidate to become a UNESCO site, and still awaiting approval. Guiderachi is right, we are still looking for one more.

I had to look this up, so I've now taken myself out of the running. We have actually listed three of them, the two that TOMTEC listed and Gros Morne. Mistaken Point has been submitted as a candidate to become a UNESCO site, and still awaiting approval. Guiderachi is right, we are still looking for one more.

Actually, between the two that TOMTEC got and the one you had, you are both right. The 2 in Newfoundland are L'Anse Aux Meadows and Gros Morne and in Nova Scotia, it's Old Lunenburg. So it's up for grabs who gets to ask the next question. Fight it out amonst yourselves.

Guiderchachi

The fourth that I was thinking of is on the Gaspe Peninsula, so technically in the province of Quebec. Whether that is in Atlantic Canada or not, I suppose is up to guiderchachi for the purpose of this question. If guiderchachi is satisfied with the answers already here, I'll let the next question go to Tomtec since he got two of them whereas I got one.

The fourth that I was thinking of is on the Gaspe Peninsula, so technically in the province of Quebec. Whether that is in Atlantic Canada or not, I suppose is up to guiderchachi for the purpose of this question. If guiderchachi is satisfied with the answers already here, I'll let the next question go to Tomtec since he got two of them whereas I got one.

OK. Fair enough. And for the record, Quebec is not part of Atlantic Canada. All Right, Tomtec, the floor is yours. What is our next question?

The seat in front of my computer?

(notice how my answers are always right but yet always wrong)

Do you normally STAND ON the seat in front of your computer?

I guess it makes it an extreme sport then... Tune in to the next X-Games where we will be featuring Extreme Graphics Designers going one-on-one in matches of Photoshop Tennis!

TOMTEC

Yes, you'd be on the deck of a ship. I thought that one was too easy. :laughing:

There's Tomtec, yet there's no question? :blink:

Ask away (or pass to Danoshimano).

Speaking of shimanos, I successfully cycled up the big hill at the north end of Mono Cliffs on the weekend without stopping. Yeah, yeah, I know, but this was a first for this fat-boy. Look out Lance Armstrong!!

monocliffstrack_dm.jpg

Yes, you'd be on the deck of a ship. I thought that one was too easy. :lol:

There's Tomtec, yet there's no question? :lol:

Ask away (or pass to Danoshimano).

Speaking of shimanos, I successfully cycled up the big hill at the north end of Mono Cliffs on the weekend without stopping. Yeah, yeah, I know, but this was a first for this fat-boy. Look out Lance Armstrong!!

I knew it from one term (bluepeter) but I guess that's enough! Way to go on the hill. Not sure if that was one I rode up or not when I did Mono Cliffhanger (the final)? It was really rocky so I rode up it, but walked down.

Hey, that's not fair, I had a question!! Here is my question -

2happy2gether is very busy and won't have any time to respond to answers in the Canadian Geopub Quiz forum on Groundspeak, what is 2happy2gether doing this week that is taking up all the time? :laughing:

Congratulations 2happy2gether!!!

Okay, I'll guess 22 communities. If I'm right I'll tell you how I figured it out without Googling or going to any website. :anibad:

You look it up in a book? Close enough! 26

Nunavut has a population of approximately 29 000 of whom more than 80% speak Inuktitut as their first language. All of the population lives in one of 26 communities. The largest community is the capital, Iqaluit.

Go CA

2happy2gether is very busy and won't have any time to respond to answers in the Canadian Geopub Quiz forum on Groundspeak, what is 2happy2gether doing this week that is taking up all the time? :anibad:

He is getting married, and apparently NOT geocaching on his honeymoon..weirdo

Well fancy that! I was only 18% wrong and I got it right. B)

I just fired up Garmin's Mapsource and counted all the airfields that weren't abandoned. ;)

Next question:

Statistically, if one were to use a motorcycle to go Geocaching, instead of a car, how many more times likely would you be killed in an accident?

2 times? 7 times? 11 times? more?

Edited by Couparangus

2happy2gether is very busy and won't have any time to respond to answers in the Canadian Geopub Quiz forum on Groundspeak, what is 2happy2gether doing this week that is taking up all the time? :blink:

He is getting married, and apparently NOT geocaching on his honeymoon..weirdo

Honeygeocachingmoon in Dorset. It's a done deal now.

Honeygeocachingmoon in Dorset. It's a done deal now.

maybe you will name the baby "micro" or "film canister" when it comes along :blink:

Statistically, if one were to use a motorcycle to go Geocaching, instead of a car, how many more times likely would you be killed in an accident?

2 times? 7 times? 11 times? more?

Guessing 4 times, with an 18% margin or error