Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

Sorry for taking so long....

Here's a navigation question (from my days navigating from a sailboat):

Five ceturies ago a chart was designed to deal with the issues of using 2 dimenionals (paper) to navigate in a 3 dimentional world (circular globe).

This method of representing navigational charts is still used today.

What is the name of that method of charting?

Exhaustive research :) has concluded that 1 year earlier a famous European Capt James Cook arrived with 2 ships in 1778. He explored Nootka Sound, one of the five major sounds indenting the west coast on Vancouver Island.

If this is also wrong at least we're all getting a good history lesson!

There's a virtual cache downtown called What's Cooking and another for Bodega Y Quadra too I think.

Exhaustive research :) has concluded that 1 year earlier a famous European Capt James Cook arrived with 2 ships in 1778. He explored Nootka Sound, one of the five major sounds indenting the west coast on Vancouver Island.

If this is also wrong at least we're all getting a good history lesson!

There's a virtual cache downtown called What's Cooking and another for Bodega Y Quadra too I think.

Since I was Bodega Y Quadra in a past life I can verify these facts. And as a sidenote, my friends just called me Bob.

In Nootka Sound theres an island called Bligh which has a cove called Resolute where rests a plaque stating the history of that which took place there.

(Its a very nice spot but not where Cook rowed to, to visit the natives and go for a walk.)

Some people are really close to guessing the islands name or cove (oops its cove not bay).

To make it more interesting I'll also ask where was the first European contact with Natives in BC? :)

Edited by QuigleyJones

Going to settle on Cook. Hmmm! There is evidence that Drake reached Vancouver Island 150 years earlier. But exactly where is unkown. Guess I'm going to have to research this from the Cook perspective since I was working on nailing down where Drake might have reached BC. :)

JD

Edited by JDandDD

Where did the first Europeans row a shore on the (canadian) west coast?

Is it Friendly Cove?

Thats right :)

Friendly Cove is on Nootka Island and Cook arrived in 1778.

However in 1774 the Spanish arrived in BC and though they stayed on there ships they did meet natives.

The crazy thing is that this happend off Langara Island which is at the north west corner of Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands) and about 900km more north than Nootka Sound.

Going to settle on Cook. Hmmm! There is evidence that Drake reached Vancouver Island 150 years earlier. But exactly where is unkown. Guess I'm going to have to research this from the Cook perspective since I was working on nailing down where Drake might have reached BC. :lol:

My guess is more along the lines of some of the Prussian slaves that the Cheng Ho and the Ming Dynasty Chinese fleet brought over to power their boats in the 1400's.. but i guess noone can really verify that. B)

Edited by Juicepig

In addition to those already mentioned by Myrtlemoose, there is also Compass North. This is the direction one travels using a compass that has been corrected for both Variation [the angle between True North and magnetic North at a given location] and Deviation, the error caused by magnetically permeable soft iron in the vicinity of the compass. This second error, which can never be totally compensated for, is reduced by the placement of small magnets near the compass, as well as concentrations of soft iron, usually placed opposite the known concentrations on board to compensate for them. They are appear as a closed vertical brass tube [the Flinders Bar] and two spheres, usually placed on either side of the compass, called Lord Kelvin's Spheres [sometimes irreverently and vulgarly called Lord Kelvin's balls]. :D

This third North is usually found on board ship, and although marine navigators usually use a gyro compass [which indicates the direction of True North], there is a legal requirement for all ocean-going vessels to carry a Magnetic Compass, properly compensated, and with a 'deviation card' showing the residual deviations which could not be completely counteracted.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation; my teaching experience got the better of me!

Phil/ve1bvd

Edited by ve1bvd

Compass North is not actually the 3rd one we were thinking of but it is a very valid variation of North. We were thinking of Grid North which are vertical map lines that will deviate from true north unless you are on the central meridian of a transverse mercator projection zone. Your answer is valid and good, so take it away ve1bvd.

Shearzone, you got it! The latitude of each meridian crossing is then plotted on a Mercator chart to give a series of rhumb lines that approximate the great circle.

Phil/ve1bvd

:angry:

Next question. What community is nearest to the geographic centre of Canada?

Rankin Inlet, Nunavut

Edited by 2happy2gether

Hmmm, my not be a tough one, but lets try this.

This kinda combines a mix of a few categories.

Bill Cullen, a famous Radio and Television Personality from Hollywood has a unique connection to the 1000 Islands Region.

What is it?

I will provide a clue if this stumps anyone.

Binrat

Hmmm, my not be a tough one, but lets try this.

This kinda combines a mix of a few categories.

Bill Cullen, a famous Radio and Television Personality from Hollywood has a unique connection to the 1000 Islands Region.

What is it?

I will provide a clue if this stumps anyone.

Binrat

When he was the host of the Price is Right, in 1964, he gave away one of the 1000 Islands as a prize. Oh to be so lucky!

Hmmm, well spent a lot of time in the area a few years ago and kept hearing the story from different people though I hadn't believed it at first! That was a great question, though. Now for my question (which I fear will pale in comparison)

What is unique about Zavikon Island?

There is a couple of possible answers to this one (though one really isn't geographical in nature)