Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

Although I'm sure this is not the answer you're looking for, you'll need one of these types of watches.

The stick will be handy for whacking away bears and the protractor for doing geometric exercises in the sand. :)

Come on, dudes! Use a little math! No gps, no sextant. Just a stick, a protractor, and a watch. Hint: you'll need plenty of sunshine.

All rightey, then! How can you find out your coordinates (longitude and latitude) with only a watch, a stick, and a protractor?

Find a nearby geocacher and tell him "I'll give you a watch, a stick, and a protractor if you tell me what the local coordinates are."

dave

:)

Is the stick made of aluminum? Does the watch have a programmable microprocessor?

I can see a way of doing this.. but it wouldnt be exact.. You might be able to guess within 3 or 4 degrees where you are, but it would be impossible to find a geocache that way..

Is the stick made of aluminum? Does the watch have a programmable microprocessor?

I can see a way of doing this.. but it wouldnt be exact.. You might be able to guess within 3 or 4 degrees where you are, but it would be impossible to find a geocache that way..

Did I say anything about geocaching? Noooo, I just want you to tell me how to find out, for example, where in the world you would be if you were shipwrecked on a deserted island, and for some reason you ended up with a stick, a protractor (maybe a kid on the boat had one for his math homework, you know, that thing that tells you the angle of things), and your trusty watch. How could you find out your coordinates so you would be able to put a dot on a map (the one that was on the boat, and got washed ashore with you) so you would know where on the planet you are.

Come on, you guys! You gotta start using your heads! Or, shall I just tell you myself how it's done and give any random person the credit? (man! y'all are starting to sound like some of my students!)

Latitude you would use the protractor to determine how the North star relates to the horizon. If it is 46 degrees above the horizon you are roughly at N44 degrees..But that would only be during the summer and Winter solstice...

Longitude... I dont know.. use your stick to fashion a sprear, then harpoon various animals. Then using your excellent knowledge of zoology, determine your location from the overlap of their territorial ranges?

HEY!! I AM USING MY HEAD! :blink:

Edited by Juicepig

You would stick the stick in the ground and use it like a sundial. Since you also have a watch, you'll be able to calibrate an actual sundial on the ground. Now, you have a calibrated sundial. Cool.

So, um... next you would measure the... something. Or other. With the protractor. Like angles, and things. Just angles, actually, not things. Angles of... the sun dial markings?

To get longitude the clock would have to be on Greenwich time and the stick would act as a sundial, the difference in time would translate into how far east/west of 0° you are.

For latitude you'd use the protractor similar to a sextant.

If that is the answer its kind of a stretch...

If would give you the general area of the earth you are at - But under what circumstances would you not know that already? Space evacuation? Why would you bring a protractor with you.... seems .... crazy... :blink:

Quigly Jones pretty much nailed it. Use the stick in the ground, and at high noon, measure the angle that the top of the pole and the tip of the shaddow makes to determine latitude (if 45 degrees with the shaddow pointing south, then you are at 45 degrees north), and for longitude Quigly nailed it. The only thing he left out is that one would have to know before hand what is the time difference of their watch and Greenwich time. Take it away, Quigly Jones!

NWT is the Territory for sure. Nunavut borders Denmark (Greenland) and Yukon borders the US.

The Province would most likely be PEI. It seems that NF is too close to France, and NS is too close to the US. The rest of the provinces are no brainers.

Thats right,

Was hoping people would forget about little old France. :(

What was the name of the lake that covered SW Ontario when the glaciers began to receed from the area 14,000 years ago?

NOTE: I don't think the locals at the time named it.

I know the answer, but I'll give others a crack at it first. When the ice dam that held the water broke, sea level rose incredibly fast!

Edited by shearzone

Lake Algonquin

I assumed it was Lake Algonquin too, which is why I posted this question. The answer will dazzle and amaze you. There was a much larger lake than Algonquin that extended down into MI and OH...hmmmmmm...making you think now.

If I'm not correct I know that there are some on here who will find the error of my ways and stand proud to point that out...LOL.

No, not the Champlain Sea.

I will provide an additional hint. The retreating glaciers left behind two "major" lakes; one was called Lake Chicago (Lake Superior), the other was called ?. Remember that Lake Algonquin became Georgian Bay, Lake Huron and N MI. The lake I am referring to became Lake Erie, Lake St.Clair and SW Ontario. It was much smaller than what we now call Lake Algonquin.

Edited by 2happy2gether

When I went to UWO in London I remember seeing a map about Lake Maumee which I think made Lake Erie. Long time ago though.

JD

JD, you are a genius. Lake Maumee it is. Take it away; the glory is yours.

PS: mrs happy and I went and saw Pirates of the Carribean last night so I can't be held responsible for talking like a pirate over the weekend...sorry.

I would also like to retract the earlier statement that I made about the size of the lake in question; it was based solely on assumptions and heresay. I was unable to find any photographs that may have been taken or maps that may have been produced 14,000 years ago and I jumped to a conclusion. Without further proof of said information I cannot provide this forum with the scientific facts that will be required of me when I am eventually held accountable in front of a tribunal. My bad!

Edited by 2happy2gether

-=ANNOUNCEMENT=-

2Happy2Gether aka Scott Theil will have a Military Tribunal Saturday at 19:00 - CFB Borden on Saturday June 2. He will have to explain his actions or risk having a tomato thrown at him.

End Shoephone transmission.

Cool, I'm out on a technicality. Check your spelling...hehe.

Ok, after a short time out here's the next quesiton.

Where is the greatest uninterrupted vertical drop in the world as defined by uniterrupted cliff face, and how long is this drop?

JD

I can think of a few candidates, but I'm going to guess Venezuela? As for the drop, I'll guess 200 m?

Edited by shearzone

Where is the greatest uninterrupted vertical drop in the world as defined by uninterrupted cliff face, and how long is this drop?

If it's the one I'm thinking about, it's located on Baffin Island and the mountain is named after a mighty BFL that was found in attendance at the COG Spring Fling event. (Ok, maybe the BFL was named after the mountain ...or maybe they were both named after the norse god, it doesn't really matter) Anyhow, I know the drop is greater than 1000m but can't remember an exact number. Let's see if someone else can use these hints to nail it?

TOMTEC

Where is the greatest uninterrupted vertical drop in the world as defined by uninterrupted cliff face, and how long is this drop?

If it's the one I'm thinking about, it's located on Baffin Island and the mountain is named after a mighty BFL that was found in attendance at the COG Spring Fling event. (Ok, maybe the BFL was named after the mountain ...or maybe they were both named after the norse god, it doesn't really matter) Anyhow, I know the drop is greater than 1000m but can't remember an exact number. Let's see if someone else can use these hints to nail it?

TOMTEC

Mount Thor obviously, but I always thought that it was in excess of 3000ft.

Mount Thor it is 2happy2gether. The mountain is listed at about 1700m high with about 1250m vertical fall (I've also seen 1100m). The mountain was used in the Bond film 'The Spy Who Loved Me" though he actually jumped off Mount Asgard in the same Auyuittuq National Park.

Take it away 2happy2gether!

JD

Hmmm... this sounds like historic sci-fi to me.

But I'll allow it! :ph34r:

Yes, but the Gorn Rocks are real, and they're geological...so I only kind of maybe bent the rules.

BTW: I'm not a Trekkie, I was just really looking hard for a relevant question.

Are those them huge pillar-like hexagonal (or maybe octogonal) rocks in Scotland? (or is it Ireland?)

Hmmm... this sounds like historic sci-fi to me.

But I'll allow it! :ph34r:

Yes, but the Gorn Rocks are real, and they're geological...so I only kind of maybe bent the rules.

BTW: I'm not a Trekkie, I was just really looking hard for a relevant question.

Are those them huge pillar-like hexagonal (or maybe octogonal) rocks in Scotland? (or is it Ireland?)

Maybe this isn't as common knowledge as I thought. Think of the rock that Kirk battled the green lizzard guy (Gorn) on.

I hope this doesn't make me a Trekkie, I couldn't handle that. It's bad enough that I think Star Wars is the best movie ever made.