Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

It's the Tri-Service Crest.

The crossed swords represent the Land element, Albatross represents the Air element and the anchor represents the Sea element. The "three services" of the Canadian Forces. The crown represents the current monarch, in this case, it's the Queen's crown, and the maple leaves represent the other symbol of Canada, the Maple Tree (not the beaver). Each element has its own service dress and, in the case of the Navy (sea), they also have their own rank structure. The old RCN (Royal Canadian Navy), RCAF (Royal Canadian Air Force) and Army joined forces in 1967 to become the Canadian Armed Forces. The CAF was later changed to CF due the the "Armed" portion of the title being seen as too aggressive (or so the myth goes).

If it goes by another name then perhaps someone with much more time in can enlighten us to that name. Those names do not include the cornflake or the golden pineapple...

It's the Tri-Service Crest.

The crossed swords represent the Land element, Albatross represents the Air element and the anchor represents the Sea element. The "three services" of the Canadian Forces. The crown represents the current monarch, in this case, it's the Queen's crown, and the maple leaves represent the other symbol of Canada, the Maple Tree (not the beaver). Each element has its own service dress and, in the case of the Navy (sea), they also have their own rank structure. The old RCN (Royal Canadian Navy), RCAF (Royal Canadian Air Force) and Army joined forces in 1967 to become the Canadian Armed Forces. The CAF was later changed to CF due the the "Armed" portion of the title being seen as too aggressive (or so the myth goes).

If it goes by another name then perhaps someone with much more time in can enlighten us to that name. Those names do not include the cornflake or the golden pineapple...

Everything I was looking for and more :shocked: . Take it away 2happy2gether!

I think I was headed to CFB Borden to see my daughter's ceremonies. But the name of the town escapes me.

When you drive through again, don't forget to stop and log the waymark!

TOMTEC

Interestingly enough - the fact it is the "world's largest" doesn't appear on the waymark page *COUGH*

Interestingly enough - the fact it is the "world's largest" doesn't appear on the waymark page *COUGH*

I have yet to locate a reliable source that will confirm that it is, in fact, the "world's largest" If you have some hard facts, send them my way and I'll add them to the listing. There are so many communities with their own claims of "world's largest" object these days, it's hard to find the real thing!

TOMTEC

I would never have remembered Schomberg.

It's Friday, it's supposed to be a top-notch weekend weatherwise for caching, so I don't want to tie anyone down to their computers. An easy question:

What's the name of the lowest (deepest? as in, altitude) geocache in existence?

What's the name of the lowest (deepest? as in, altitude) geocache in existence?

Could it be Rainbow Hydrothermal Vents (GCG822)? After almost 5 years it still remains unfound... once I win the lottery and have time to kill, I may just have to make the trip down to visit.

TOMTEC

Is it bigger than a breadbox?

Well, that depends, how big is your breadbox?

The cache is listed as a "Small" container, and is rated a 5/5 but considering the climb and amount of time you would need to invest, it will probably stay unfound for a long time.

TOMTEC

Is it bigger than a breadbox?

Well, that depends, how big is your breadbox?

The cache is listed as a "Small" container, and is rated a 5/5 but considering the climb and amount of time you would need to invest, it will probably stay unfound for a long time.

TOMTEC

Sounds like it may fall outside of GC's guideines for maintenance then and should be removed from the listings!! :blink::(

Greywynd

Sounds like it may fall outside of GC's guideines for maintenance then and should be removed from the listings!! :P:D

Greywynd

Actually, the original cache owner passed away a few years ago in a climbing accident, so it's been adopted by another cacher... Besides, someone would have to actually summit and try searching for the cache to discover if any maintenance is required in the first place...

Ok, if nobody knows the name, how about the general location?

TOMTEC

the caches name is Chomolangma GCP7JV

Highest cache in the world

Once you get to Tibet, acclimatize for 4-5 weeks, be able to handle crampons, ice tools and jumar - wait for good weather conditions. Best is in april/may or september.

Altitude is 7.570m. Be sure to have some dextamethason with you for emergency. Only experienced climber should realy try.

To find it i mapped from my location then went to Tibet...I knew it had to be there somewhere...~crosses fingers n hopes it's right though i don't know any trivia questions..~

okay...so here goes...hope it qualifies...

Letterboxing was the precursor to geocaching. Where did it originate? (i'm looking for more than just the name of the Country)

Dartmoor, England, 1854, by a chap named William Crossing, who, along his treks on the moors would leave boxes along the trail with letters in them. As other trekkers would find these boxes, they in turn would leave their "mail" in them and take what "mail" was in it and send it off in the post to reach its destination.

What does Chomolangma mean in Tibetanese?

Is this a trick question? Chomolangma is a Tibetan word... So I'd have to assume Chomolangma means Chomolangma in Tibetan! :huh:

Semantics!!! Do you know what it means in English?

It's the Tibetan name for Mount Everest and translates to something along the lines of "Mother of the Universe".

TOMTEC

yup that's right...your turn to ask a question Stroover...~s~

Okie dokie,

Who is the New Brunswick geocacher who has a travel bug tatoo'ed on his shoulder, and when you meet/find him, you can log him in as a find?

Not sure how many here are familiar with New Brunswick geocachers....though I may be wrong. Guess he's pretty serious about his caching huh? lol

Greywynd

yup that's right...your turn to ask a question Stroover...~s~

Okie dokie,

Who is the New Brunswick geocacher who has a travel bug tatoo'ed on his shoulder, and when you meet/find him, you can log him in as a find?

His name wouldn't be Stroover by any chance, might it? :huh: