Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

They were built as fortifications for the military, but I don't think they were ever actually used for their intended purpose. (My brother, a Navy PO, claims they were used as "fornication" sites - but I never said he could spell! <_< ) I'd have to google to find out how many are left, so this ends my answers.

They're neat to see - I've been to the Prince of Wales one in Halifax.

They were built as fortifications for the military, but I don't think they were ever actually used for their intended purpose. (My brother, a Navy PO, claims they were used as "fornication" sites - but I never said he could spell! <_< ) I'd have to google to find out how many are left, so this ends my answers.

They're neat to see - I've been to the Prince of Wales one in Halifax.

That's right on both accounts knitter.

They were built around the same time as Fort Henry, mid 1840's, in response to growing hostilities with the US. Their purpose was to defend the Kingston Harbour and Shipyards.

Now, if nobody can tell me how many are still standing, as far as I'm concerned the next question is yours. I will check in now and then to see if anybody knows.

There is most definitely one in Quebec City. (I've been in it.)

For those who don't know, the tower has one very thick side, and one side is thin. The thick side of the tower faces the side the enemy would be approaching from. The thin side faces in the direction of retreat. If the tower gets over run, the defense can drop back, then blow it apart so it can't be used against them.

Check it out HERE, including a picture of the one in Quebec City. (Which would make it 12 still standing.)

Edit: Just read some of my own link. It says there are 11 still standing in Canada, THREE of which are in Quebec. Something doesn't add up here. It also doesn't mention the thick/thin walls which I thought were a standard part of the design. Apparently that may have just been a stroke of genius on the Plains of Abraham.

Edited by danoshimano

I don't think all five in Halifax still stand - I'm pretty sure that two by the harbour are long gone. And I'm almost sure there's one standing in NB as well.

But, I'll take the baton and ask:

What is the dead man's penny?

It refers to the coins placed upon the closed eyes of a dead person when they were waked at home. It prevented the 'blank' stare of the deceased and made them a bit more presentable to friends and family.

Phil/ve1bvd

I thought the military buffs would know this one easily.

It's a slang term for a specific award, that no one wanted to receive :lol: .

The Victoria Cross, but I'd rather not take credit for this one. I've never heard it called the "Dead Man's Penny" before, but that hint gave it right away.

As a side note, and maybe to pass this onto someone deserving; the bronze used to cast all of the Victoria Crosses was/is made from what item?

Actually, it was the Memorial Plaque from WWI, given by the King to the next-of-kin of service members of the British Commonwealth who died during the war. It was apparently taken to be an insult, so the award didn't last long - the families considered their sons' lives to be worth more than a penny, which was what this plaque looked like. There are a few in Canada in museums, probably more in private hands.

Actually, it was the Memorial Plaque from WWI, given by the King to the next-of-kin of service members of the British Commonwealth who died during the war. It was apparently taken to be an insult, so the award didn't last long - the families considered their sons' lives to be worth more than a penny, which was what this plaque looked like. There are a few in Canada in museums, probably more in private hands.

It would seem to me that we are WAY off the thread of this forum: see page one:- from Couperangus

Here's how it works. I'll ask a question and the person whom answers correctly will ask the next question and when that's answered correctly will in turn post another question etc. To keep it within topic I suggest the questions fall into one or more of these loose categories:

- Geocaching

- Navigation

- Geomatics/graphy/physics etc

- The Canadian hiking experience

- Cycling, Canoeing, Kayaking or any other means of arriving at a cache.

- Camping

No cheating now, that includes Googling for the answers!

It would seem to me that we are WAY off the thread of this forum: see page one:- from Couperangus

Here's how it works. I'll ask a question and the person whom answers correctly will ask the next question and when that's answered correctly will in turn post another question etc. To keep it within topic I suggest the questions fall into one or more of these loose categories:

- Geocaching

- Navigation

- Geomatics/graphy/physics etc

- The Canadian hiking experience

- Cycling, Canoeing, Kayaking or any other means of arriving at a cache.

- Camping

No cheating now, that includes Googling for the answers!

We have found caches near war memorials (and cenotaphs), in the British Commonwealth, at the Royal Canadian Mint (that makes cents not pennies btw :rolleyes: ), at Museums ....

Whose turn is it now anyway, now that we've digressed and been reigned back in? :blink: back to knitter?

Once again, I did not get reply notifications to this topic! (Until today.)

Tomtec is correct, it is Dave Ulmer. (I actually thought it was an easy question.)

There is no controversy that I know of, except perhaps the one created by the person who owns Groundspeak who has (had?) some sort of personal issue with Dave Ulmer. But then, that guy seems to have a lot of personal issues. (Notice I didn't mention any names.) In fact, for a long time, Ulmer's name was not even mentioned in the history of geocaching on gc.com. (It's there now.)

Sorry Tomtec, you answered it, you have to take a turn!

He he, I thought it was an easy question too... so I tried to leave it for others to answer. Oh well, guess some people aren't up on their Geocaching history! Following that idea... :anicute:

What was Ontario's first successful geocaching "event" cache?

(Sorry rest of Canada, I don't have my data for the other provinces handy...)

And by successful I mean an event cache that was listed (as an event cache) and attended by cachers.

TOMTEC

The first Ghagafap? (Which would've been Gagafap, I guess).

While I'll admit that GAGAFAP was a successful event, (I'd know... I was there!) it wasn't the first... Actually I think it comes in 5th on the list! You're in the right year though...

TOMTEC

I'm guessing GAG1? It's only a guess.

Well, atleast we're heading in the right direction... Go and Get Em!! was the fourth successful event. Hmm, as a matter of fact, the future GAG hosts were actually in attendance at the first successful event!

Maybe this photo will jog some memories:

174039_200.JPG

TOMTEC

Wow, that was long ago, even I recognize all the PAPER that you were hauling!!!!

He he, back then, you could fit all the caches in Ontario into a small binder! Now it looks like an encyclopedia set.

Ok, last hint... it happened on January 26, 2002 in Hawkesbury, Ontario

TOMTEC

And here I though my first Black Bull Pubnite was it! <sigh>

Nope, that was number 6... Though I will admit, you also hold the honour of being the owner of Ontario's first Unsuccesful GeoEvent... :mad:Southern Ontario Geocachers (GC31E9) Though it was kind of used as a brainstorming forum, which led to the creation of Ontario's first PubNight at the Black Bull.

Ok, maybe this question is too tough, or there aren't enough old timers who can remember that far back. I'll give it to midnight then turn it over to whoever has a question up their sleeves.

TOMTEC

GC1838??

Yes, finally! GC1838 - Geocaching Roundup -- Montreal to Ottawa was the first successful Ontario event. Over to you!

TOMTEC

Wish we could have attended that one, less then a month after we started and one of the closest held to home, yet I did now know about events at the time having only started geocaching with 2 finds and a borrowed GPS. Know most of the cachers in that photo now, great group with some still active.

I guess it serves me right for finding the right answer to the last one! Rather than pass it on to someone else I'll go with a real easy question....

What is the proper name of the symbol or emblem on the front of the Canadian Forces Geocoin?

Edited by Landsharkz

Figures....I just happened to read online earlier about this coin.......so I have to skip 'cuz I have an unfair advantage now. Regardless, it's still a great coin, with the handles of people that I have a great deal of respect for. As time goes on, I hope to meet more of our servicemen and ladies, particularly the cachers. I get to write stuff like this on the internet because of the dedication of them all.

Greywynd

Figures....I just happened to read online earlier about this coin.......so I have to skip 'cuz I have an unfair advantage now. Regardless, it's still a great coin, with the handles of people that I have a great deal of respect for. As time goes on, I hope to meet more of our servicemen and ladies, particularly the cachers. I get to write stuff like this on the internet because of the dedication of them all.

Greywynd

Greywynd... the rules say no 'googling'. If you read about it anywhere else online, I'm pretty sure it's fair game.

I know one person on these coins is in Afghanistan now and others on the coins have recently returned. It's very interesting reading the cache logs in Khandahar!

Greywynd... the rules say no 'googling'. If you read about it anywhere else online, I'm pretty sure it's fair game.

I know one person on these coins is in Afghanistan now and others on the coins have recently returned. It's very interesting reading the cache logs in Khandahar!

Tis ok, I'll wait first and see if anyone else knows it. I didn't google it, but I won't say at this time where I saw it either. :blink::D Besides, I'm hoping to be outside most of the next few days ('cept for the wee hours) between preparing for a canoe run Saturday for caches, caching in general, or other outdoor activities. Forecast looks perfect from now until early next week!!!

Greywynd