Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

What is the northernmost civilian settlement in North America?

I don't have time to come up with a question right now, so I'll just provide a big hint for others: YGZ

I was going to say "Alert" but perhaps that is not a civilian settlement.

He he, try the other end of the island...

TOMTEC

Grise Fiord is correct Yorkshire!

"Grise Fiord is the northernmost civilian settlement in North America, but was eclipsed by Alert as the world's northernmost community when Environment Canada and the Canadian Forces began to station permanent personnel there".

Alert is the most northerly settlement, but not civilian. That was the trick part. "The northernmost settlement in Canada (and in the world) is Canadian Forces Station (CFS) Alert (just north of Alert, Nunavut) on the northern tip of Ellesmere Island – latitude 82.5°N – just 834 kilometres (518 mi) from the North Pole".

Just love those Canadian geography facts, eh?!

Over to you Yorkshire!

Wow, Thanks. OK, I always like asking this because people often disagree with the premise of the question ...

"Why is it that the latest sunrise, and earliest sunset, do not occur on shortest day of the year. Conversely, earliest sunrise and latest sunset do not occur on the longest day of the year?"

Looking for one word answer to this phenomenon

Wow, Thanks. OK, I always like asking this because people often disagree with the premise of the question ...

"Why is it that the latest sunrise, and earliest sunset, do not occur on shortest day of the year. Conversely, earliest sunrise and latest sunset do not occur on the longest day of the year?"

Looking for one word answer to this phenomenon

Daylight savings time. The shortest day of the year is 23 hours long when we 'spring ahead', the longest day of the year is 25 hours long when we 'fall back'. These days are nowhere near the solicetices in the year.

An analemma is that figure-eight shaped scale on a globe. (Most globes.) It shows the sun's declination for each day of the year, and can be used to calculate the time of each day.

But I still want to know the answer to the original question: why is it so? Something gives the analemma its structure. What is it?

Hmmm..... well if he ain't involved in:

- Geocaching

- Navigation

- Weather

- Wildlife

- A funny thing happened on my way to the cache

- Geomatics/graphy/physics etc

- The Canadian hiking experience

- Cycling, Canoeing, Kayaking or any other means of arriving at a cache.

- Camping

You'd better ask another question.

Cheers!

C-A

He is a four time olympian, gold and silver medalist, also has seven world championship medals - Canadian Bobsledder Pierre Lueders. Unfortunately, nobody bobsleds to geocaches, so lets try sombody more appropiate.

Name this Canadian who's sport could be used while geocaching.

CanadianDude2.jpg

As an added incentive - The winner will receive a free pair of wallet sized, laminated Canadian Geocacher Permits :unsure:

Name this Canadian who's sport could be used while geocaching.

CanadianDude2.jpg

You're really reaching with these questions... Anyways, that's Adam van Koeverden and he went to McMaster University... I don't really foresee anyone actually attempting to reach a cache in a K1 boat though, they are far too fragile, not to mention expensive!

TOMTEC

Alrighty then...

It's been said that Canada has more lakes than all the rest of the world combined. (Over 2 Million!)

Part 1: What is the LARGEST lake in Canada?

Part 2: What is the DEEPEST lake in Canada?

Winner is first person to answer both parts correctly.

TOMTEC

1. Superior 2. Superior.

Last I checked, Lake Superior is not located entirely inside Canada, as it also shares most of its border with the USA. (Gee, that should also rule out most of the other Great Lakes) It's also not the deepest, at only 406m. Though even if we counted just the Canadian portion of Lake Superior, the Canadian portion of Lake Huron is still larger!

Had this one a few times over the years. If you are asking about entirely within Canada then its:

Largest is Great Bear Lake in NWT

Deepest is Great Slave Lake in NWT

JD

That's better... Great Bear Lake is the largest at 31,328 square km, and Great Slave Lake is the deepest at 614m. Now if we were to include the lakes that were not located entirely IN Canada, the order from largest down would now be Lake Huron, Great Bear Lake, Lake Superior, Great Slave Lake, Lake Winnipeg, Lake Erie, Lake Ontario...

Over to you JD

TOMTEC