Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

Sorry... forgot.

Let's try this one first. Category is geography and Canadian history, and it goes from coast to coast (hint).

He spent most of the time passed out in Jamaica.

She spent a lot of time catching the views from the cow catcher.

Who are they, and what are they doing?

Hmm.. only Canadian I can think of who was in Jamaica was Lord Elgin... but I don't think he spent much time passed out.

And as for the other... Dina in the 'I've been workin' on the railroad song?

I'm just guessing, and I know they're not right. :rolleyes:

Sir John A. Macdonald and Queen Victoria??

Something to do with the struggle and strife to get the railroad across Canada and during his last election he proclaimed (like any good British subject :o )... a British subject I was born, a British subject I will die"...

I'm grasping at railroad ties here :D but QV was alive until 1900 so perhaps she had something to do with it!

Edited by Landsharkz

Agnes!!! It was his beloved wife and he on the cowcatcher, wasn't it? The pig incident near Yale? Good grief Danodude where do you come up with these questions?! It was the second university history text that uncovered the incident :D

He and his wife were taking a dangerous and romantic ride on the cowcatcher. The train was hurtling down the Fraser Canyon near Yale when the cowcatcher struck a pig and threw it up within inches of Macdonald and his beloved wife Agnes. What specifically they were doing at the time I wasn't around to see and this 'ol history book doesn't get any more specific.

Edited by Landsharkz

Agnes on the cowcatcher! DING DING DING!

But honestly, I knew nothing about the pig incident, or even that John spent any time on the cow catcher. Most of the time he was sleeping (in Jamaica) due to intoxication. They were traveling across the country together to celebrate the recently completed cross-Canada railroad. Agnes was full of life and wanted to actually SEE the country, and the best view was from the very front. She had the crew rig up a chair on the cow catcher for the ride through the mountains.

Hopefully the question was okay, because it is sort-of-geography but I don't think Canadian history was one of topics. I just wanted to ask a question that everybody had a shot at, no matter where they live in the country.

Over to Landsharkz!

Wow! I sure had fun researching that one... loved it!!

Sorry to anyone whose coin design got 'derailed' here while I did my research <_<

We have virtuals in Victoria which are related to statues or plaques about explorers and other historical figures or events, so your question was fine Dano! Wacky, but fine :anitongue: .

Ok, I'll think of something.

Well #1 would be Vancouver Island

#2 Haida Gwaii

#5 Texada?

Vancouver

Haida Gwaii

Banks

Pitt

Princess Royal

#1 Correct - thank goodness :blink:

#2 I'm looking for the English names

Pitt is a correct island for 1-5 but the wrong position on the list

Princess Royal is a correct Island for 1-5 but the wrong position on the list

QJ, Texada didn't make the cut, sorry. In fact it's not even in the top 10!

Hmm. I don't believe you asked for them in order but here goes.

1. Vancouver

2. Graham

3. Princess Royal

4. Banks(uninhabited)

5. Pitt

P.S. One of your coins brought me luck in a poker tournament.

You're right I didn't ask for them in order, but that's what I was thinking... didn't you read my mind?! :o

#1 Correct island in the correct position

#2 Correct island in the correct position

#3 Correct island but wrong position

#4 I think Banks is #6, so wrong for #4 and also it's not the one on this list that's uninhabited

#5 correct island in the correct position

Glad to hear our coin brought you good luck in the poker tournie.... maybe you should drag it out again and give it a rub for good luck now too! :blink:

You're sure getting close!

Ahh the one I thought is two!

1. Vancouver

2. Graham

3. Moresby

4. Princess Royal

5. Pitt (uninhabited)

The coin was a mover so it was only in my hand for that tourney. I havent won since.

WAY TO GO BOBBARLEY! ABSOLUTELY PERFECT IN EVERY WAY!!! YOU GO NEXT!

1. Vancouver (uninhabited) <_<

2. Graham

3. Moresby

4. Princess Royal

5. Pitt

QJ, you are almost within spitball distance of these island inhabitants <_<:D ...I did expect that from someone though :ph34r:

Edit: I had an idea, but I was way off. I removed the answer to protect my reputation as one who is always right :D

JP, I wish I had a chance to read this today before you edited it!

WAY TO GO BOBBARLEY! ABSOLUTELY PERFECT IN EVERY WAY!!! YOU GO NEXT!

1. Vancouver (uninhabited) <_<

2. Graham

3. Moresby

4. Princess Royal

5. Pitt

QJ, you are almost within spitball distance of these island inhabitants <_<:D ...I did expect that from someone though :ph34r:

Edit: I had an idea, but I was way off. I removed the answer to protect my reputation as one who is always right :D

JP, I wish I had a chance to read this today before you edited it!

I think Baffin Is was in there somwhere. :D

Echo Bay, ON - Worlds Largest Loonie (next to me... no cash value.. but ironically my cottage is right next to this thing, and the artist who made the loonie.. my exploits no doubt inspired him to name it!)

Sudbury - Worlds largest Canadian Nickle (no cash value)

Campbelford, On - Worlds largest Canadian Toonie (no cash value)

Dryden, ON - Worlds Largest Moose Statue

St. Thomas, Ontario - Worlds Largest Elephant Statue (Jumbo!)

Sudbury, ON - Nickel

Leamington, ON - Tomato

????, BC - Fly Rod

Burwash, Yukon - Gold Pan

???, AB - Mushrooms

I'm only positive about the two in Ontario, the Gold Pan might be in Burwash, BC...Yukon made more sense to me.

The gold pan town is wrong too.

Echo Bay, ON - Worlds Largest Loonie (next to me... no cash value.. but ironically my cottage is right next to this thing, and the artist who made the loonie.. my exploits no doubt inspired him to name it!)

Dryden, ON - Worlds Largest Moose Statue

St. Thomas, Ontario - Worlds Largest Elephant Statue (Jumbo!)

The moose in Dryden doesnt even come close! But the one in Canada will lose out too if they build the one planned in Sweden!

Guidelines are -Any Canadain town/city with worlds largest thing that is normally small. I.E. CN tower doesnt count. Go for it Knitter

Edited by bobbarley

Leamington, ON - Tomato

Echo Bay, ON - Worlds Largest Loonie (no cash value)

ok..and..(uhg, can't remember the name.. Something Manitoba with the largest Mosquito...)

OHOH!! Worlds Largest East-Side Mario's is in Waterloo, Ontario!! That counts! (comon, I got such a good question!!!)

w00t! Got it!

Leamington, ON - Tomato

Echo Bay, ON - Worlds Largest Loonie (no cash value)

AND

Worlds largest Dinosaur - Drumheller Alberta!

edit : adding picture <_<

192324846_96cd30a96d.jpg

Edited by Juicepig

ALRIGHTY!

2-Parter

1. What Canadian City is famous for the drink the Sourtoe Cocktail?

2. How do you make one (requires no mixology degree)?

Hint for #1- I think I may have mentioned that my family has some roots in this city in this thread - Although I doubt anyone cares! :lostsignal:

Could have also went with the world's largest easter egg (Pysanka) in Veggreville Alberta.

ALRIGHTY!

2-Parter

Hint for #1- I think I may have mentioned that my family has some roots in this city in this thread - Although I doubt anyone cares! :lostsignal:

Dawson City, put a frost bitten toe in a shot of whiskey and bottom's up!

OK, I'm going to list my 6 (even though that shot is over - some of us gotta work, y'know :lostsignal: ).

Lobster - Shediac NB

Dinosaur - Drumheller ALTA

Bee - Falher ALTA

Easter egg - Vegreville ALTA

Pirogy - Glendon ALTA

Cuckoo clock - Kimberley BC

And there's the nickle, the loonie, the toonie, the tomato, the elephant, the guitar....

You get the picture.

Could have also went with the world's largest easter egg (Pysanka) in Veggreville Alberta.

ALRIGHTY!

2-Parter

Hint for #1- I think I may have mentioned that my family has some roots in this city in this thread - Although I doubt anyone cares! B)

Close enough!

Yes, Dawson City Yukon - And to make a Sourtoe Cocktail you take a pickled human toe, and add it to the drink of choice (doesn't have to be whiskey, although it usually was)

Your up rocky

2-Parter

Hint for #1- I think I may have mentioned that my family has some roots in this city in this thread - Although I doubt anyone cares! B)

Close enough!

Yes, Dawson City Yukon - And to make a Sourtoe Cocktail you take a pickled human toe, and add it to the drink of choice (doesn't have to be whiskey, although it usually was)

Your up rocky

I intend to make the pilgrimage for the sourtoe cocktail one day! I hear there running low on donors, but I don't plan on loosing a toe to frost bite any time soon!

OK, here's my question: Which Canadian province shares a border with the most US states, and what states are they?

Ontario? Minnesota, Michigan, New York, and the less obvious Pennsylvania and Ohio!

HA! You're right! When I asked this question, I didn't consider shared boundaries across a lake. OK, OK, for the sake of letting others play (sorry JP), and for me to get the answer to the question I should have posed more clearly (if this is OK, CA?), which province is in direct land contact with the most US states?

Edited by shearzone

HA! You're right! When I asked this question, I didn't consider shared boundaries across a lake. OK, OK, for the sake of letting others play (sorry JP), and for me to get the answer to the question I should have posed more clearly (if this is OK, CA?), which province is in direct land contact with the most US states?

Quebec: ME, NH, VT, NY.

BC: AK, WA, ID, MT.

dave

dave

LOL so much for one right answer. :laughing:

dave

LOL so much for one right answer. :laughing:

So, we got 3 "right" answers now.. Which one were you thinking? :laughing:

dave

BC was the answer I was looking for. I heard this question asked in another game of trivia, and I bought it. I'll have to tell those guys they are wrong. Sorry for the fiasco :laughing:. Over to you Dave

Edited by shearzone

I can't resist adding the very large flying saucer in Moonbeam, Ontario... though I don't know if the real thing is smaller than that! :(

That sourtoe cocktail has been going on in the Yukon for years now. I tried one when I was there, in 1992. Pretty gross.