Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

I used to live in London and I remember my sister taking a trip to a bog there. And wasn't Guy from London? So, I say the location is London.

You are, in fact, correct!!!! woo hoo!!

Now, can you name the person or ORGANIZATION that donated money to the preservation of the SIFTON bog, therefore having the bog renamed the Sifton Botanical Bog? Remember that this benefactor is an unlikely one because of the nature of their business; that business being urban development....oh how's that for a hint?

I'm a Londoner too...so I'm a little heartbroken that people don't know more about my home town...hehe...

I'll give it one more day, and if nobody can give me the answer then I will pass it off to TOMTEC and danoshimano to duke it out for the glory.

I used to live in London and I remember my sister taking a trip to a bog there. And wasn't Guy from London? So, I say the location is London.

I'm a Londoner too...so I'm a little heartbroken that people don't know more about my home town...hehe...

Oh Oh. Looks like all the Londoners are moving up to Central Ontario. We used to live in London as well so were also quite acquainted with the Bog.

JD

Too slow! In the spirit of keeping things moving I'll ask the next question. :P

Q: Assuming the batteries in your GPS are dead...If you were on a wooded ridge that ran east/west but didn't know which direction you were pointed (perhaps due to it being overcast), what is one way to determine this?

use a compass

Too slow! In the spirit of keeping things moving I'll ask the next question. :laughing:

Q: Assuming the batteries in your GPS are dead...If you were on a wooded ridge that ran east/west but didn't know which direction you were pointed (perhaps due to it being overcast), what is one way to determine this?

I would then take out my backup GPS, If its battery's died then I would take out my backups backup GPS, if its battery's then died, I would take out my compass, If I dropped and broke it I would then try to build one myself, If it turns out I didn't have a key component, I would then, depending on location, look for growth of moss on the side of trees (mossy side tends to be north) or look up at the clouds and see if I can make out its predominate direction which I would apply to my extensive knowledge of local prevailing winds. :laughing:

Ok, I'm feeling the pressure of asking the next question...therefore I'm going to wuss out and ask one relative to my last.

Sifton Bog is considered an "Environmentally Signifigant Area (ESA)." London, ON has 6 of these ESA's, what are the other 5?

You had to mention the word bog...I am trying to forget my somewhat unpleasant encounter with a bog on the weekend:

Bog Encounter...the bog won!

8dd0a1f6-5d8d-4c4d-bb53-77951dd85556.jpg

Edited by res2100

OK, lemme have a go at this ...

1. Mercator (commonly used in 1:50,000 maps)
  2. Lambert (used in large scale maps)

Wow, I am impressed with myself. I did work with these for an aerial reconnaissance project waaaay back in the '80s and I still remember those names!

Okay, That was obviously too easy.

He he, they only recently added that area code. I've got some friends stationed at YFB, so it's fairly familiar.

Which brings me to my next questions... many cachers carry a cell phone while on the trail to call for help in an emergency. Some people don't realize that not everyone uses 9-1-1 as their central emergency number. Jamacia, for example, uses 1-1-9. Much of Europe uses 1-1-2. You can reach the Police (RCMP) in the Yukon by dialing 867-667-5555. (Not overly convenient...) If you were caching in Iqaluit (formerly Frobisher Bay) and needed to reach the RCMP, what number would you try and dial before the polar bear tears you to shreds?

Hint: 867-979-XXXX

TOMTEC