Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

Magnifi-mint cache it was! I also studied those rocks. penny is my guess after the last comment.

which I think was to ment to read canadian tire penny.

We're not sure what the "Canada Tire" part of Fizbot's response is about... We were simply looking for a denomination, and the first person with what we feel is the correct answer is hidnseek. It was a penny, also struck during the opening ceremonies of the Ottawa branch of the Royal Mint (what is now the Royal Canadian Mint) in 1908.

So take it away hidnseek :P ... fizbot, sorry if you feel that we have mis-interpreted what might be a correct answer, but we're not sure what you meant :huh: ...

Edited by Landsharkz

Canada Tire penny?

What is a Canada Tire penny? Define please :)

I think the lowest Canadian Tire ever went is 2cents, I don't think they ever had a penny, and the first one was printed in the 50s.

Sorry, should add more happy faces when I'm being silly. Meant Canadian Tire money.

1 cent denominations were not available until 1962 though.

Interesting history at http://www2.canadiantire.ca/CTenglish/ctmoney.html

We were simply looking for a denomination, and the first person with what we feel is the correct answer is hidnseek. It was a penny, also struck during the opening ceremonies of the Ottawa branch of the Royal Mint (what is now the Royal Canadian Mint) in 1908.

Canada has never used pennies (except during colonial times), and the RCM has never minted pennies. You are thinking of a cent, which is totally different and unrelated denomination to the pence.

We were simply looking for a denomination, and the first person with what we feel is the correct answer is hidnseek. It was a penny, also struck during the opening ceremonies of the Ottawa branch of the Royal Mint (what is now the Royal Canadian Mint) in 1908.

Canada has never used pennies (except during colonial times), and the RCM has never minted pennies. You are thinking of a cent, which is totally different and unrelated denomination to the pence.

Darn...I just took two rolls of Canadian pennies to the bank. All I got was $1, but they must've been worth a mint.

Canada experiences three to four earthquakes a day. On Nov. 18, 1929, a magnitude 7.2 quake rattled the floor of the Atlantic Ocean about 250 kilometres south of Newfoundland, July 10, 1958 one near the Alaska/B.C. border magnitude 7.9. Just how safe are we caching under these circumstances?

How many deaths have occurred due to earthquakes in Canada?

Edited by hidnseek

Canada experiences three to four earthquakes a day. On Nov. 18, 1929, a magnitude 7.2 quake rattled the floor of the Atlantic Ocean about 250 kilometres south of Newfoundland, July 10, 1958 one near the Alaska/B.C. border magnitude 7.9.

How many deaths have occurred due to earthquakes in Canada?

I will hazard a guess of......none.

<ducking>

I'd like to revise my answer to........

none confirmed.

:lol::rolleyes:

I'd have to agree... it's not the earthquake that kills you, it the side effects! Falling buildings, fires, flooding... they can kill, but just the ground shaking?

Besides, I've pestered him about this a couple times, but Earthquake' has yet to admit to killing anyone... :blink:

TOMTEC

I'd like to revise my answer to........

none confirmed.

:rolleyes::o

I'd have to agree... it's not the earthquake that kills you, it the side effects! Falling buildings, fires, flooding... they can kill, but just the ground shaking?

Besides, I've pestered him about this a couple times, but Earthquake' has yet to admit to killing anyone... :blink:

TOMTEC

:lol: No personal attacks now :)

less then 15 more then 0

it is 1.

Montreal has not had an earthquake fatality for the last 274 years, although it should be mentioned that the death in Montreal in 1732 is the only recorded death directly resulting from an earthquake in Canada's history. There were 27 dead in Newfoundland after the Grand Banks earthquake of 1929, but that was due to a tsunami, not the earthquake itself.

Some of you may know "the Degree Confluence Project" where degree confluence is the exact spot where an integer degree of latitude and an integer degree of longitude meet (ex: N45°00.000, W073°00.000)

All of the 64,442 possible confluences have been assigned to one of three categories - Land(21,543), Water(38,409), or Ice Cap(4,490). Confluences that are on 'Land' are those that their data shows as being located on a continent or an island. The presence of ice doesn't change that. A confluence on a lake doesn't change it's status if the lake freezes over in the winter. A confluence located on a glacier is considered to be on land. Confluences not on 'Land' are on 'Water', except for areas with permanent ice, which are categorized as 'Ice Cap', such as confluences near the North Pole.

The questions..

How many unique confluences have been successfully visited? (±500)

And in how many countries? (±25)

Some of you may know "the Degree Confluence Project" where degree confluence is the exact spot where an integer degree of latitude and an integer degree of longitude meet (ex: N45°00.000, W073°00.000)

All of the 64,442 possible confluences have been assigned to one of three categories - Land(21,543), Water(38,409), or Ice Cap(4,490). Confluences that are on 'Land' are those that their data shows as being located on a continent or an island. The presence of ice doesn't change that. A confluence on a lake doesn't change it's status if the lake freezes over in the winter. A confluence located on a glacier is considered to be on land. Confluences not on 'Land' are on 'Water', except for areas with permanent ice, which are categorized as 'Ice Cap', such as confluences near the North Pole.

The questions..

How many unique confluences have been successfully visited? (±500)

And in how many countries? (±25)

it is 1.

Montreal has not had an earthquake fatality for the last 274 years, although it should be mentioned that the death in Montreal in 1732 is the only recorded death directly resulting from an earthquake in Canada's history. There were 27 dead in Newfoundland after the Grand Banks earthquake of 1929, but that was due to a tsunami, not the earthquake itself.

Yeah, but the earthquake caused the tsunami. Techincally earthquakes don't kill anybody, the fallen building, the fires from broken gas lines, and tsunami's caused by the earthquakes do the killing. A bit hairsplitting in my opinion.

JD

it is 1.

Yeah, but the earthquake caused the tsunami. Techincally earthquakes don't kill anybody, the fallen building, the fires from broken gas lines, and tsunami's caused by the earthquakes do the killing. A bit hairsplitting in my opinion.

JD

stmin.jpg

St. Minutia using a sword to split a hair