Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

this is out of order but in case anyone cares..today I got the official word on the amount of the transcanada trail that was complete (to end the post due to a bit of peer pressure I used the info on the official web site ..thanks for running interference danoshimano...so passed it on to 2happy2gether) it is

"There are approximately 10,000 kilometres built, with another 8,000 to go. Although this may sound that there isn’t much done, over 80% of the Canadian population is within a 30 minute drive of some section of completed trail. Much of the trail that remains to be done is in the remoter areas of the country."

nuff said..continue on

Shivering - yes

Numbness - in the extremeties due to...?

Impaired vision, slower/shallower breathing - yes (slowed reactions)

Slow/weak or irregular pulse - yes, and ties in with part 2

Exposure isn't the primary cause of death, but it is the primary cause of hypothermia.

Prevention - all are valid points.

Numbness in the extremeties can actually occur fairly early in the process, before an irregular pulse occurs. The body first tries to keep the organs warm and so restricts flow to the extremities (where the blood is rapidly cooled) to keep warm blood flowing to the major organs.

The primary cause of death: cardiac arrythmias followed by heart stoppage.

JD

Well, I guess I overdid my first kick at the cat here. I will leave it up to JD and husker to duke it out over who takes the next question.

Here are the answers that I was looking for:

Part 1:

Lack of co-ordination

Mental confusion

Slowed reactions - husker

Shivering - husker

Sleepiness

Part 2:

Goes to JD for nailing it right on the head: heart failure.

Bonus:

Husker was the only one to offer up any suggestions on beating hypothermia. Here's a pretty good article though for those interested.

Thanks for being nice. I'll try something a little easier next time.

Cheers,

OK, this game has been inactive for a few days, so I'll take the next one. Here's a Canadian geography question:

It is common knowledge that rivers channelize water and move it downhill, eventually attaining the ultimate basin, the ocean. A group of rivers that drain an area and flow into the same body of water define a 'water shed'. One particular water shed is known as the 'Atlantic water shed' in the western Canada, and the 'Arctic water shed' in the central and eastern Canada. What major body of water does this confusing water shed drain into?

One particular water shed is known as the 'Atlantic water shed' in the western Canada, and the 'Arctic water shed' in the central and eastern Canada. What major body of water does this confusing water shed drain into?

That's two water sheds named. Which one is the confusing one you are asking about?

No, two names are given to the SAME water shed. I'll rephrase the question in case there is any confusion:

There is a water shed in Canada that is known as the 'Atlantic water shed' to western Canadians and as the 'Arctic water shed' to central and eastern Canadians, when in fact, it is the very same water shed. The question is, which body of water does this water shed drain into?

No, two names are given to the SAME water shed. I'll rephrase the question in case there is any confusion:

There is a water shed in Canada that is known as the 'Atlantic water shed' to western Canadians and as the 'Arctic water shed' to central and eastern Canadians, when in fact, it is the very same water shed. The question is, which body of water does this water shed drain into?

Ahhh... I did not know!

I guess the Western Canadian name is the correct one, since the water drains to the Atlantic Ocean.

Geography question:

What type of rock does the Niagara Escarpment consist of - this includes the name of the rock and the age that the rock was formed?

Simple enough?

Nope :)

To me, thats like asking "Where and how old is the Intermontane Superterrane?" :)

Edited to say: Isn't asking the composition and age of a rock more of a geology question? :lol:

Edited by QuigleyJones

Geography question:

:lol: Sounds like a geology question to me!

What type of rock does the Niagara Escarment consist of - this includes the name of the rock and the age that the rock was formed?

Simple enough?

I've never learnt about the escarpment, but given the rocks in the surrounding area, I'm going to guess that the rocks of the escarpment are probably sedimentary rocks, consisting perhaps of limestone that was deposited during Silurian or Devonian.

Simple enough?

Nope :lol:

To me, thats like asking "Where and how old is the Intermontane Superterrane?" :)

the Intermontane Superterrane is speculated to be Jurassic to Cretaceous in age. If my guess at the real question is correct, that makes the rocks of the Niagara Escarpment older than rocks in the Intermontane Belt.

edit after QJ's edit [Edited to say: Isn't asking the composition and age of a rock more of a geology question?]: I see what you were saying now QJ. I couldn't resist answering that since I knew the answer.

Edited by shearzone

I've never learnt about the escarpment, but given the rocks in the surrounding area, I'm going to guess that the rocks of the escarpment are probably sedimentary rocks, consisting perhaps of limestone that was deposited during Silurian or Devonian.

If that were true then (assuming correlation between the falls and escarpments name) There would be a Niagara Canyon.

So my guess is granite with an age in the Precambrian era (too broad?)

I'm going to guess that the rocks of the escarpment are probably sedimentary rocks, consisting perhaps of limestone that was deposited during Silurian or Devonian.

Silurian era is correct, now what type of rock?

well, if it isn't limestone, I'm going to with another common sedimentary rock type, sandstone

Ok, here's the next question. Now that we are in to real winter this question is about a hazard that could affect any geocacher in Canada, frostbite. Two parter:

First, what are the 3 degrees of frostbite called.

Second part, there are several don'ts for treatment and one is to not apply dry heat or hot water. Why should you not do these?

JD

For your second part JD:

Because frostbite causes your skin to go numb, applying too much heat while warming up may also cause burns.

Yep, I'll accept that. WIth numb fingers you can't feel the heat. One shouldn't rub the area or anything else that might cause the further cell damage. The frostbit area should also not be warmed if the person is going to right back in the cold.

Ok, that's part two. Anybody got part 1?

JD

I sort of thought they were minor, moderate and severe but maybe superficial is correct. Severe is correct as is Moderate. I was in emergency once when a chap came in and was treated for moderate to severe frostbite losing several toes. My nephew also lost a few bits some years ago.

Just like burns, Frostbite is catorgized into superficial, partial and full thickness. As frostbite causes lose of sensation in the frozen part applying heat, either dry or hot may cause burns before the affected part is completely rewarmed. However the treatment in hospital or in the field where there is NO chance of refreezing is to thaw the affected part in very warm water. (102-105 F I think)

Frozen skin will often sluff off like when that guy on Survivor Austrailia burnt his hands!

Edited by bobbarley

Just like burns, Frostbite is catorgized into superficial, partial and full thickness. As frostbite causes lose of sensation in the frozen part applying heat, either dry or hot may cause burns before the affected part is completely rewarmed. However the treatment in hospital or in the field where there is NO chance of refreezing is to thaw the affected part in very warm water. (102-105 F I think)

Frozen skin will often sluff off like when that guy on Survivor Austrailia burnt his hands!

Not quite what I was looking for in degrees (frostnip, superficial and deep were what I was looking for) but this answer is so complete its got it all. So, bobbarley, your question next.

JD

I performed a search for the answer to the next question and did not find it. So here goes.

As I am from Saskatchewan I will throw a relevant question out. Most of Canada says our province is "hard to say but easy to draw". This is only true half way. The eastern border would be hard to draw as it actually zig zags every so often. Why?

Another guess.. Lat changes every 1°?

Thats is part of the reason.
Oh! I have part of the reason.. hmm.. what could be the other part? The change looks like is more at every 0° 22'.. but, let me guess some other wild guess:

They had to stop at every 24 miles to let the horses rest when they were surveying the line?

But.. I like this answer:

Government only had an Etch-a-sketch when drawing the border and couldn't do a diagonal?

:drama::P:blink:

The jogs represent corrections applied to allow for convergence?

As lines of longitude go further north the distance between them shrinks continually. Using a township/meridian system of survey meant that surveyors had to continually "correct" for the decreasing distances. These corrections were applied on a fairly regular basis, at least here in Alberta, so I will assume that happened is SK as well.