3) Ferrets - Business - JDandDD

4) Humming Birds - Charm - JDandDD

5) Trout - Hover - VO2WW

6) Bears - Sleuth - Luc & Sweety

7) Crows - Murder - Yorkshire

8) Squirreles - Dray - Geofellas

9) Kittens - Kindle - northernpenguin

10) Bees - Grist Geofellas

JDandDD is the winner with three correct.

Ok, after a little research, here's a question about a weather phenomenon that affects geocachers every year at this time, windchill.

In 2001, Canada and the United States agreed to use a new, improved windchill formula. Here is the two part question:

Who created the original windchill formula and what is considered the major problem that caused the original formula inaccurate?

JDandDD

As I understood it in my USAF days, Wind Chill used to be based on time it took for water to freeze outside tops of weather stations. It was changed to measure effect on exposed skin at ground level in more recent years. No idea who invented it except to guess Weather Service guys?????

In 2001, Canada and the United States agreed to use a new, improved windchill formula. Here is the two part question:

Who created the original windchill formula and what is considered the major problem that caused the original formula inaccurate?

I have no idea to whom we should credit the "new" wind chill measurement.

I'm guessing the original one didn't factor in humidity or perhaps the cooling affect on actual bare skin.

I did some research and found this

The original wind chill formula was derived from experiments conducted in 1939 by Antarctic explorers, Paul Siple and Charles Passel.

They appartenly figured out how long it took for water to freeze in a small plastic cylinder when it was placed outside in the wind. However there are differences between a human body and a plastic jug filled with water, most notably the fact that people produce body heat.

As well, the wind speed used in the formula is measured ten metres above the ground, usually at airport weather stations. At this height, the winds are faster than those at 1.5 metres, the height of an average person. As a result, the method produced a colder wind chill than people actually experienced.

http://www.restena.lu/meteo_lcd/papers/win...wwindchill.html

Here is something I came across last week when I was reading about strange christmas gifts of the past. I could not beleive they made this particular toy.

Which current comic strip character (still going strong today) starred in a childrens comic book explaining splitting the atom. This comic had a forward written by a member of the manhattan project. and came out a few years after WWII.

It came free with the childrens toy I read about (it would definately not pass safety standards today), for a bonus what was the name of that toy.

By coincidence I know this one but I'll let someone else answer since I was making up a question just before this. Wanted to say that I actually saw one of these as a kid (nope didn't own, my friend did) and have to say I think we are all lucky to still be here, especially knowing my friend. Forgot all about it so thanks for the memory.

JD

Here is something I came across last week when I was reading about strange christmas gifts of the past. I could not beleive they made this particular toy.

Which current comic strip character (still going strong today) starred in a childrens comic book explaining splitting the atom. This comic had a forward written by a member of the manhattan project. and came out a few years after WWII.

It came free with the childrens toy I read about (it would definately not pass safety standards today), for a bonus what was the name of that toy.

Brandishing the darts. I'm not sure just how many cartoon characters have been around that long. So I'm going to start with...

SUPERMAN!

(Did I even hit the dartboard? The wall the dartboard is on? The correct pub?)

I trust everyone had a great holiday, like I did, and is looking forward to a rewarding new year, just as I am!

I'd like to first thank everyone for making this discussion so successful and look forward to learning even more from our learned Geocompatriots!

I think I need to re-post the general guidelines for the Canadian Geopub Quiz, just to keep things on track. Particularly with respect to protocol & topics.

A person must answer a question correctly before they may post a question of their own. If in doubt, the person whom asked the question will determine which person did indeed answer it correctly. If there's still confusion at this point, let me know and I'll solve the problem for ya'. :anitongue:

Let's keep it relevent to our common interests (Geocaching) and therefore within these loose categories:

- Geocaching

- Navigation

- Weather

- Wildlife

- A funny thing happened on my way to the cache

- Geomatics/graphy/physics etc

- The Canadian hiking experience

- Cycling, Canoeing, Kayaking or any other means of arriving at a cache.

- Camping

(I snuck a couple of new ones in there, hee hee)

No cheating now, and no Googling or Wikipedia for the answers!

Cheers!

C-A

114500817710vvNI.jpg

A new one went up not so long ago and the activation was pretty recent, some relocation occured with the old ones, and now they are two visible in your area.

What new bird has recently gone up that has the WAAS payload?

waasgull, as in "youu wascally waasgull!"

Edited by Juicepig

A new one went up not so long ago and the activation was pretty recent, some relocation occured with the old ones, and now they are two visible in your area.

What new bird has recently gone up that has the WAAS payload?

I don't know the details, but I rememeber it being the topic of conversation at the time they dissapeared to be relocated, since at that time our accuracy here in Quebec went down by a magnitude for a few months while they sorted the whole thing out.

As for the new question, I will leave it to the next one who wants it. Just say "Yo" if you want it... :unsure:

I think it's sad that this thread has been sitting quiet for a bit so I will throw out a question...to be honest I don't even know the answer (yet)

How much of the trans canada trail is now complete? (in km or m please)?

as an aside, for the past few years we have been buying a metre of trail as "welcome baby gifts" for those new parents who are close to us.

I think it's sad that this thread has been sitting quiet for a bit so I will throw out a question...to be honest I don't even know the answer (yet)

as an aside, for the past few years we have been buying a metre of trail as "welcome baby gifts" for those new parents who are close to us.

OK, I'll go...... 2000km?

One dart, coming right up: 9973 km

but um, a lot of it is complete and the total distance (last I looked) was to be 17 244km

you asked a question without knowing the answer :huh: ? How would we know who's right <_<?

Not specific to this question, but has anyone else playing this game noticed that there have been many 'guess the number of jellybeans in the jar'-type questions recenlty? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind that type of question once in a while, but I liked this game better when an answer can be given without blindly throwing darts and hoping to be the closest. If this is what the game has evolved into, it's become old to me. (end rant)

Giving it to 2happy2gether as he is closest to the most popular answer I have.

It is hard to find an "official" answer for this question so I had contacted the transcanada trail people to get the latest "official" figure, which is not always the same as the latest posted figure.

As far as throwing darts is concerned, who knows what odd bits of trivia etc people "out there" collect. Those of us bopping in and out don't always realize the big picture. Apologies.

anyhow, on to you 2happy2gether!!

Since winter is now upon us - in Simcoe County anyways - and most of us will no doubt be out caching in the cold, I thought that a cold weather question would be a good, educational approach to this topic.

This is a two parter:

First part: what are 5 of the major symptoms of hypothermia?

Second part: what causes most hypothermic deaths?

And as a bonus, for anyone who has winter/arctic survival training, what extra measures should you be taking when physically exerting yourself in the cold?

Ok, I guess that was 3 parts.

Good luck.

ok, let me see

part one

# shivering;

# numbness;

# impaired vision;

# slow, weak and/or irregular pulse;

# slower, shallower breathing;

part two

I would say exposure.

part three ( prevention)

layer your clothing

avoid getting wet, especially your head (includes sweating)

this should at least get us started

huskerrich