Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

Lets try working down from 35. My next guess is 33, too high, or too low?

Spot on, actually.

Refer to Overboard Survival - Lessons Learned published by Transport Canada for more info. Frankly I was surprised the temperature was this high!

Keith, your turn to ask a question!

Hate to disagree but your reading of that page is wrong! What it says is if the person's core body temperature goes below 35C then hypothermia sets in. However, for water to do that it must be 27C or colder. At 27 you will survive 3 hours or a little longer but will ultimately succumb. Above 27 C you can survive indefinitely. Your question asked about water temperature not core body temperature.

JD

Edited by JDandDD

Hate to disagree but your reading of that page is wrong! What it says is if the person's core body temperature goes below 35C then hypothermia sets in. However, for water to do that it must be 27C or colder. At 27 you will survive 3 hours or a little longer but will ultimately succumb. Above 27 C you can survive indefinitely. Your question asked about water temperature not core body temperature.

JD

Halfway down the page:

Any water below 33° C (91° F) is defined as cold water and if you end up in this water your body’s core temperature will drop rather quickly.

JD

Halfway down the page:

Any water below 33° C (91° F) is defined as cold water and if you end up in this water your body’s core temperature will drop rather quickly.

Interesting, but that page stands alone I guess. Because from a hypothermic point of view, that will not lower your body temperature enough to hit the 35C point at which hypothermia occurs. It may cause discomfort and possibly disorientation if you are in it long enough but not death by hypothermia. That said I see your point.

JD

I no believe. I've been swimming for over 3 hours in water colder than 33C and didn't suffer from these symptoms:

# shivering;

# slurred or slow speech;

# poor coordination;

# confusion;

# numbness;

# weakness;

# impaired vision;

# impaired judgement;

# sleepy/drowsiness;

# irrational;

# stiffening of the muscles;

# slow, weak and/or irregular pulse;

# slower, shallower breathing; and

# unconsciousness.

I think you're more likely to suffer these from a day of Geocaching with some of the hard-core types! :rolleyes:

SpikeB would be a good person to ask about the hypothermia question.

1) Geese - Gaggle - uskerrich2000

2) Frogs

3) Ferrets

4) Humming Birds

5) Trout

6) Bears

7) Crows

8) Squirreles

9) Ferrets

10) Bees

This will obviously be fully answered by committee

10% is all I'm good for.

7) Murder of Crows

btw Really enjoy this topic. Some real comedians out there, and some really smart cachers.

10 is not a swarm, and geese is a gaggle, not a flock. Flock is a general term. deffinition.

Seems like it all depends on who you ask, I just looked it up in the Oxford and my answers are perfectly acceptable.

And according to the Oxford the term Cluster is specifically, of workers around the queen.

Edited by AV Dezign

With all the creatures we see while geocaching, what do you call groups of...

I think i should get it, as I am the only one to answer ALL of the question. And as the question asks what would "I" call groups of, I am technically correct :(

You have a point there!

I too would call them a "buncha crows" rather than the poetic invention "murder of crows." Etc.

1) Geese - Gaggle - uskerrich2000

2) Frogs

3) Ferrets

4) Humming Birds

5) Trout

6) Bears

7) Crows - Murder - Yorkshire

8) Squirreles

9) Kittens - Kindle - northernpenguin

10) Bees

3 down, 7 to go

5) Trout - school

8) Squirrels - nest

10) Bees - Hive

I looked it up after on this site (http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/about/faqs/animals/names.htm), I only got 33% (you can't argue with the US Geological Survey).

I really like the shiver of sharks - they give me the shiver too while diving!

Edited by rjfunk
I looked it up after on this site (http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/about/faqs/animals/names.htm), I only got 33% (you can't argue with the US Geological Survey).

I really like the shiver of sharks - they give me the shiver too while diving!

The USGS must be running out of geology to look at if they are now into naming hoards of animals! BTW, don't believe everything you read from the USGS. Seems like the watchful eye of the Bush administration will be looking over their shoulders now to ensure that findings by the USGS are consistent with 'American values'. Might this be the end of credibility for the USGS ? :o

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/bush_scientists

Edited by shearzone