Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

OK, had to amend this question several times to avoid arguments with some math and physics diehards.

SO my simplified question is:

We all have time restrictions placed on our caching adventures...be it work, family, whatever. I think santa is the ultimate geocacher. His reindeer and sleigh will definately get him within6m of any cache (stocking or tree) but once on the premises, he does have to search the immediate area to find the exact place he is to leave his trinkets.

I was wondering, how many hours santa has available to visit all the good girls and boys around the world.

If you want to throw in your opinion about how far he must travel or how fast he must travel, feel free.

OK, had to amend this question several times to avoid arguments with some math and physics diehards.

That little bit above got me thinking about this some more. It occured to me that if he travelled at the speed of light, he would have as long as he wants because time would stand still (as described by the famouns quote "a moving clock runs slower").

No one said anything about FASTER than light :cry: ...that would be impossible :huh: .

Not according to the laws of physics. It is simply crossing the light barrier that is a no-no. :wacko:

I think the answer has to do with the rotation of the earth. So, if Santa starts at the prime meridian at a certain time (pick a starting time as it wasn't given), and he needs to finish at a certain time (not given), how much time does he have? If he travels east he has less than 24 hours, if he travels west he has more.

Faster Than Light travel is all nice and dandy, but what about stopping, inertia would turn that huge load of gifts in the back into a potato smasher (maybe even worst.) for Santa. :huh:

No one said anything about FASTER than light :huh: ...that would be impossible :cry: .

I dissagree, something somewhere has to give, there are simply to many homes to visit is such a short time, we are talking fractions of a seconds per households, so therefore he does travel faster than light, or has access to some other mean of dysfunctioning time. :wacko:

appears that interest has fizzled on this one so must give it to shearzone. The answer we had was 34 hours as you started at midnight whereas we started at 8:00 pm figuring the good little ones would be asleep by then.

anyhow, your turn shearzone!

I don't think interest fizzled. It was unclear what you meant by "go men go". To me it sounded like you were passing the question on but not saying who got it. Anyway, here's my question:

Over the history of the earth, the supercontinent cycle has run its course several times. In other words, the continents have assembled and disassembled many times. Supercontinents have been shown to be a contributing factor to global cooling by changing major atmospheric and oceanic circulation patterns. Examples of past supercontinent are Rodinia and Gondwanaland. Name the last supercontinent. Bonus points if you can name how long it existed and when it broke up.

pangea

you got it! The next supercontinent will likely occur when the Pacific Ocean closes and the western Americas collide with eastern Asia. Needless to say, it will be a while before that happens. Your question HFR.

Ya! but just think how convenient it will be to get chinese food! I CAN'T WAIT!

Its a weather symbol alright. This shows the temperature 45 (in Fahrenheit), the point at which water in the air will condense, 29 F, aka dewpoint, and the fact the sky is overcast. I think the leg is wind direction and speed, but I don't know how to interpret this. There may be more in here too but 045 would be too low for a barometric pressure reading which is usually around 100kpa.

Was I the closest??

Its a weather symbol alright. This shows the temperature 45 (in Fahrenheit), the point at which water in the air will condense, 29 F, aka dewpoint, and the fact the sky is overcast. I think the leg is wind direction and speed, but I don't know how to interpret this. There may be more in here too but 045 would be too low for a barometric pressure reading which is usually around 100kpa.

Was I the closest??

I believe you are...

The pressure reading is actually in millibars, so 045 would equate to 1004.5 mb or 100.45 kPa (convenient eh?) The leg shows that the wind is coming from the SSE, but I'm not sure on the speed. Be sure you pack your umbrella for the rain though... :(

TOMTEC

I'm guessing it is to proceed at an aximuth of 045 degrees from north and to expect a slope between 29 and 45 degrees.

Hmm, it could also be a fancy road sign...

Maximum Speed 45Mph

Minimum Speed 29Mph

Divided Highway Ends

Keep left and watch for the roundabout in 045 yards.

TOMTEC

I'll give this one away to tomtec. Wind speed is 15-20 mph.

Ok, I guess... I never said what it was, I only explained how to read it! :)

Here's an easy one... There are a number of caches hidden in Thornton Bales Conservation Area, (near Newmarket, Ontario) know locally as The 99 Steps. The exact number of steps is in perpetual change (due to erosion, vandalism and ongoing maintenance) so, how many steps were there as of last weekend?

2196301a-e738-45a3-8b9f-539df4e9da55.jpg

TOMTEC

Edited by TOMTEC

Thanks TOMTEC. Pondering a question for the thread now.....

Hey NP! Over yonder, are ye done the ponder?

The suspense is killing us :) .

Although Winter may not seem like it is upon us, we are entering an interesting time of the year for geocachers. We are unique in that we will deliberately leave a hiking trail in search of our Tupperware. While this is not a problem in the summer time - Winter poses an often forgotten risk: Snow covers water, and almost all of us know at least one cacher that discovered this the hard way.

In Canada, water below what temperature is defined as cold water (that could induce hypothermia)?