Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

SWEET!! I know this one!

Erebus and Terror. Franklin was a lieutenant in one of my Great (great great..) Uncles (John Ross) expeditions to the actic and antarctic. When he finally got his own command of the two ships (the same used by John Ross) he ended up sinking the them! Frickin guy! :laughing:

Starvation, cold, polar bears, choking of chunks of leather as they ate their shoes.. They died a hole bunch of ways, but mostly starvation and malnutrition, and hypothermia.

I will think of a new question and throw it out there

Juicepig, you have very correctly named both his ships and stated some of the contributing factors to their demise, but you need to wait for us westcoasters to get out of bed to find out if you answered it all correctly!

Much later a grave was discovered and some of the bodies were exhumed by a relatively recent scientific expedition; there was an autopsy carried out and an unexpected cause of death was determined...

This cause of death played a very large role in the demise of the crew as they attempted to escape the grip of the arctic. It is not what you mentioned above... it is this cause of death we are looking for... it may well have been the underlying cause for the whole crew's death. What was the cause of death?

I figured it was already answered.. But even then, i doubt the WHOLE crew died of the same thing. Canniblism has been suggested, but they couldnt have all died of canniblism...

Hey west coast!! stop sleeping in!! :blink:

...but I know they died of starvation and scurvy.

Lead Poisoning it is... A fascinating story. It is believed that lead poisoning directly caused a large number of deaths, but also contributed to poor decision making throughout the stressful time while stuck up there. Decisions like deciding to bring the ship's piano along as they attempted to push the lifeboats and sleds full of gear out of the high arctic.

The lead was used to seal all the canned food they relied upon so heavily while up there.

Edited by Landsharkz

well, I'll admit to relying on long ago lessons so they are probably out of date now but I will throw in some lead poisoning to go with the scurvy.

Such delightful ways of dying we have come up with thus far.

That's correct Danodude :unsure: , but H.F. Reign was the first to come up with the lead poisoning. HFR..do you want to ask the next mind-bending question?

hope this is not too "cross forum" (or whatever techno term there is) for you but on the subject of lead poisoning...what are the most likely criminal charges to be laid on a hunter (in ontario at least) for "accidentally" shooting and killing a geocacher out in the woods during deer season?

Guessing Manslaughter?

"Hunting carelessly is an offence. Hunters who discharge firearms without due care and attention or consideration for persons and property, are liable to a fine of up to $25,000 or imprisonment - or both. Depending on the circumstances, a person may also be subject to charges under the Criminal Code." From an Ontario Hunting Assoc. site...

District of Keewatin?

Oops!! Didnt know I was answering. YES, District of Keewatin, which is also the name for the land based county of Nunavut, and a very large (area, not population) county in north west Ontario. Your go rock man

:laughing:

OK, let's stick with geography. Name the only two provinces that extend north of the 60th parallel AND name the only state in the contiguous US that extends north of the 49th parallel.

My guess would be NWT, Nunavut

the states that are above the 49th parallel are Washingtion for sure and possibly Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota and also maybe Maine.

My guess would be NWT, Nunavut, and for the states, MAINE and MAINE alone :P

Edited by Juicepig

the states that are above the 49th parallel are Washingtion for sure and possibly Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota and also maybe Maine.

My guess would be NWT, Nunavut, and for the states, MAINE and MAINE alone :P

I am asking for Canadian provinces, not territories. Only one state in the lower 48 goes north of the 49. QJ has named it, but it isn't WA state.

My guess would be NWT, Nunavut, and for the states, MAINE and MAINE alone :D

I am asking for Canadian provinces, not territories. Only one state in the lower 48 goes north of the 49. QJ has named it, but it isn't WA state.

To me they are provinces :D Its Quebec & Newfoundland & Labrador then.

However a little know fact is that when the 49th was surveyed they didn't do too good of a job so in areas the US is north of 49 and Canada south. The BC/Washington border is actually at about 49° 0′ 10″. :P

To me they are provinces :P Its Quebec & Newfoundland & Labrador then.

However a little know fact is that when the 49th was surveyed they didn't do too good of a job so in areas the US is north of 49 and Canada south. The BC/Washington border is actually at about 49° 0′ 10″. :D

Ha! This may be true, but not what I had in mind. That may be a relict of an older datum or just poor surveying.

Newfoundland & Labrador, Quebec & Minnesota (Northwest angle in Lake of the Woods) Maine just looks like it is north of 49 because of the map projection.

-Donna G

These are the answers I'm looking for. Your turn Donna.

Newfoundland & Labrador, Quebec & Minnesota (Northwest angle in Lake of the Woods) Maine just looks like it is north of 49 because of the map projection.

-Donna G

These are the answers I'm looking for. Your turn Donna.

Sorry for the lateness. I like guessing questions. If you query the word "cache" in NRCANs Geographic Name Query how many names will be returned? (allowing for all wildcard combinations) :laughing: