Define these 10 hiking terms:

crampon

- The result of a long hike right after eating a large meal

talus

- Geocachers often tal us der stories at pub nights

posthole

- Formerly a hole, now filled in with tupperware

belay

- Typical reaction after a 5/5. Belay down.

drumlin

- What the other cachers do with their fingers while the driver gets to the parking co-ordinates

cairn

- Noun; See "Virtual-Cache"

cascade

- What a geocacher does when they walk to close to the escarpment edge

gaper

- Muggle, upon seeing a cacher pull that chunk of PVC pipe out of a tree in Orillia

tarn

- Cacher's jacket, usually after caching near hawthorne trees

howk

- The sound the cacher made when the tarn happened

I have a feeling this may not be the answers you were looking for, but I couldn't resist!

I haven't been to the forums in while but now I'll have to stick around.

Crampons-spikes for feet

Talus-rock broken off a mountain also called scree

Belay-the act or equipment used to assist in descent or ascent of climbing

Drumlin-a teardrop shaped hill left after the retreat of a glacier. The fat end of the teardrop points to where the glacier came from

Cairn-pile of rocks used as a marker

Cascade-waterfall or a mountain range

Gaper-Some one who stands blocking the trail looking at things

Tarn-Mountain Lake

Howk-I know this now but I had to look it up.

So we need the following terms defined:

posthole -

Aw, come on! Anyone who has cached in Canada in winter without snowshoes (and often with) must know this! Alternately, it's a pretty good description of the evidence left behind when Fizbot crosses a creek or marsh en-route to a cache!

TOMTEC

well, with a hint like that it has got to be that empty space left in the snow after you heave your leg out of its thigh trapping hold. I don't know if it matters if the boot is in the hole or on your foot upon extraction.

Ha ha, Boot left in hole is bonus points in my book!

TOMTEC

well, with a hint like that it has got to be that empty space left in the snow after you heave your leg out of its thigh trapping hold. I don't know if it matters if the boot is in the hole or on your foot upon extraction.

Ha ha, Boot left in hole is bonus points in my book!

TOMTEC

howk - A really hard throw? :laughing:

well, all I can think of for this one with that explanation, is when you drag your sorry butt up a nasty hill and reach what you think is the top only to look up and see that you were fooled and the real top is still aways to go.

I don't know if howk would be the psychological feeling of wanting to just throw yourself over the edge or perhaps the noise you would make when you looked up to see more slope. OR perhaps it is the pile of stuff that comes out of your mouth upon the realization that your hard sought goal was not quite enough.

ah well

The point at which the equator (0° latitude) and the Prime Meridian (0° longitude) intersect has no real significane but it is in the Atlantic Ocean, about 380 miles (611 kilometers) south of Ghana and 670 miles (1078 km) west of Gabon.

That said I stated the question sloppy, meant to ask where they started individually.

Take it away Doc

The point at which the equator (0° latitude) and the Prime Meridian (0° longitude) intersect has no real significane but it is in the Atlantic Ocean, about 380 miles (611 kilometers) south of Ghana and 670 miles (1078 km) west of Gabon.

That said I stated the question sloppy, meant to ask where they started individually.

Take it away Doc

Name the most active volcanic region in Canada. (think beyond province)

Take it away Doc

What do you mean where they start individually? A circle has no start or no end, right?

Take it away Doc

Name the most active volcanic region in Canada. (think beyond province)

I know that Mount Garibaldi errupted about 10 000 years ago. In geological terms, that was yesterday. Not sure what you mean by BEYOND province.

Edited by shearzone

Thank you DocMagoo!

Our question...

In 1845, when Sir John Franklin attempted to find the Northwest Passage, his ships were crushed in the ice and his crew all died while attempting to walk out of the arctic.

Two questions...

What were the names of his ships?

What was the underlying cause of death for he and his crew?

The first person to answer all parts of this question wins the right to ask the next....

on with the show!

SWEET!! I know this one!

Erebus and Terror. Franklin was a lieutenant in one of my Great (great great..) Uncles (John Ross) expeditions to the actic and antarctic. When he finally got his own command of the two ships (the same used by John Ross) he ended up sinking the them! Frickin guy! :laughing:

Starvation, cold, polar bears, choking of chunks of leather as they ate their shoes.. They died a hole bunch of ways, but mostly starvation and malnutrition, and hypothermia.

I will think of a new question and throw it out there

Edited by Juicepig

I was trying to think up some trivia about my more direct "explorer" decendant, but decided he was too obscure, and not a particularly happy story, so here is one on Canadian historical geography:

mysteryprov.jpg

What is the name of the big territory in the middle that splits NWT in twain!! TWAIN I TELL YOU!!

SWEET!! I know this one!

Erebus and Terror. Franklin was a lieutenant in one of my Great (great great..) Uncles (John Ross) expeditions to the actic and antarctic. When he finally got his own command of the two ships (the same used by John Ross) he ended up sinking the them! Frickin guy! :blink:

Starvation, cold, polar bears, choking of chunks of leather as they ate their shoes.. They died a hole bunch of ways, but mostly starvation and malnutrition, and hypothermia.

I will think of a new question and throw it out there

Juicepig, you have very correctly named both his ships and stated some of the contributing factors to their demise, but you need to wait for us westcoasters to get out of bed to find out if you answered it all correctly!

Much later a grave was discovered and some of the bodies were exhumed by a relatively recent scientific expedition; there was an autopsy carried out and an unexpected cause of death was determined...

This cause of death played a very large role in the demise of the crew as they attempted to escape the grip of the arctic. It is not what you mentioned above... it is this cause of death we are looking for... it may well have been the underlying cause for the whole crew's death. What was the cause of death?

Edited by Landsharkz