Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

If it were not for a friend of mine obsessed with particle physics I wouldn't even know about this stuff. This guy has his built his very own particle accellerator which is truly frightening to watch. Some of his other experiments I'm sworn to secrecy on are equally astonishing.

Interesting stuff, but let's keep it on-geo-topic! :yikes:

but let's keep it on-geo-topic!

I really didn't know physics was off topic, the quark question mislead me. I did manage to refrain from posting any links or even using Google at all. :yikes:

Now I see it is turning into a contest thread!

I will guess 389 jelly beans, I mean caches.

Any idea of how many days this contest is going to run?

The number of days you keep the contest running could have a significant impact on the final answer.

New caches of all types placed in the last 30 days (from the date of my jelly bean jar post):

Quebec = 358

Ontario = 314

Alberta = 172

BC = 151

Nova Scotia = 122

New Brunswick = 83

PEI = 52

Manitoba = 45

Newfoundland = 38

Saskatchewan = 30

Nunavut = 1

NWT & Yukon = 0

A total of 1,366 caches! Holy snappin' hell cats! That's a lot!

Mark&Beth had the first close answer, coming within 99. Geek-e was also fairly close (within 198).

And the winner is GrosseFamille who came within 86 caches with their answer of 1,280. Interestingly, GrosseFamille is also from La Belle province where the most caches were placed.

I am thinking of a virtual cache in front of the Science Centre in Toronto (Every Cache Moves). There is a big spike in the plaza that is driven down into the centre of the earth, and the spike has torn the sidewalk as the plate moves. I think the rip is about 1m and I think the Science Centre has been there about 30 years.

While we wait for the next question, I'll ask one to keep this place busy.

Q: if it is in fact true that the spike is driven into the centre of the earth, how long would the spike be? I'll accept the answer in units of metres or kilometres.

hint: it would be a hell of a long spike

New caches of all types placed in the last 30 days (from the date of my jelly bean jar post):

Quebec = 358

Ontario = 314

Alberta = 172

BC = 151

Nova Scotia = 122

New Brunswick = 83

PEI = 52

Manitoba = 45

Newfoundland = 38

Saskatchewan = 30

Nunavut = 1

NWT & Yukon = 0

A total of 1,366 caches! Holy snappin' hell cats! That's a lot!

Mark&Beth had the first close answer, coming within 99. Geek-e was also fairly close (within 198).

And the winner is GrosseFamille who came within 86 caches with their answer of 1,280. Interestingly, GrosseFamille is also from La Belle province where the most caches were placed.

Hey! Nice..

I keep a close count on the caches placed in Québec.. picked a number, 256, and multiplied by 5 - not all the provinces are as proliphic as Qc and Ont.

I am thinking of a virtual cache in front of the Science Centre in Toronto (Every Cache Moves). There is a big spike in the plaza that is driven down into the centre of the earth, and the spike has torn the sidewalk as the plate moves. I think the rip is about 1m and I think the Science Centre has been there about 30 years.

While we wait for the next question, I'll ask one to keep this place busy.

Q: if it is in fact true that the spike is driven into the centre of the earth, how long would the spike be? I'll accept the answer in units of metres or kilometres.

hint: it would be a hell of a long spike

I skip my turn.. don't have any Qs!

But I'll try to answers.. 5000Km?

Since the earth is an elipse and not a perfect sphear, being fatter at the equator, it all depends on where on earth you drive the spike into it.

You're absolutely right, but the difference is of the order of 20 km or so. So, here is the question, reworded: What is the AVERAGE radius of the Earth, in other words, the number that is used in intorductory calculus and physics classes?

OK - This was a bonus question on my survey final exam and I have always remembered it.

Leave point A and travel at a heading of 180 degrees for 357m

Turn and travel at 90 degrees for 143m

Turn to 0 degrees and travel 357m

look down and you will be at your start point

Explain how this is possible.

OK - This was a bonus question on my survey final exam and I have always remembered it.

Leave point A and travel at a heading of 180 degrees for 357m

Turn and travel at 90 degrees for 143m

Turn to 0 degrees and travel 357m

look down and you will be at your start point

Explain how this is possible.

Your GPS is really broken

Yep, Connaught Tunnel in Rogers Pass, take it away

Coo' :P . Where is the oldest known (dated) rock in the world from and what is its approximate age? You can state the location as an approximate distance and direction from the nearest populated centre if you like. Bonus marks if you can name the formation, the rock type and geologic province the rock occurs in.

Edited by shearzone

Umm... If I recall correctly its part of the Canadian Shield, about 3.5bill years and igneous intrusive. Probably in Ontario but dammed if I know the closest town. Also I think theres some rocks of about the same age in central Australia.

If im right my question is:

Where is the oldest know sedimentary rock and how old is it. :laughing:

Umm... If I recall correctly its part of the Canadian Shield, about 3.5bill years and igneous intrusive. Probably in Ontario but dammed if I know the closest town. Also I think theres some rocks of about the same age in central Australia.

If im right my question is:

Where is the oldest know sedimentary rock and how old is it. :laughing:

you're right about it's in the Canadian Shield part, but it's NOT in Ontario. The sedimentary rocks from Australia have detrital zircons that were dated to 4.2 billion years old. That means, the igneous or metamorphic rocks in which those zircons were crystallized were eroded to shed sediment (including zircons) for those sedimentary rocks were that old, but the deposition and concretion of those sedimentary rocks MUST have occured later, therefore the rock must be younger than 4.2 billion years. Without fossil data (ex. biostratigraphy), there is no known process to date the age of deposition of a sedimentary rock. No one has successfully identified the source rock of these sediments. At that age, there is a very good chance that the source rock has been lost to erosion.

Edited by shearzone

you're right about it's in the Canadian Shield part, but it's NOT in Ontario.<snip>

Hhmm.... Quebec?

not Quebec, think more to the North

OK, how about the Northwest Territories :)

I fiqure if I throw enough darts, maybe one will hit the target :)

OK, OK, it's the Acasta gneiss (say 'nice') of the Slave geologic province in the NWT, about 350 km north of Yellowknife. The rock was dated at almost 4.0 billion years old.

I'll ask an easier question. How old do geologist estimate the Earth is?

According to my pre-history book, which my daughter has taken an interest in, I do believe it starts at 4,600,000,000 years ago.

In other words, 4.6 billion years old (aka 4.6 Ga, Ga = giga annum). The world was a very different place back then. There was no atmosphere to protect the surface from cosmic rays and burn up in-coming meteors, no water and much of the crust was still molten. Conditions of the early Earth were harsh to say the least. Your question Couparangus.

There was no atmosphere to protect the surface from cosmic rays and burn up in-coming meteors, no water and much of the crust was still molten. Conditions of the early Earth were harsh to say the least. Your question Couparangus.

So back then 5_Star caches were the norm? :laughing:

:laughing: ... :laughing: back then, there weren't many drive-by micros yet

There was no atmosphere to protect the surface from cosmic rays and burn up in-coming meteors, no water and much of the crust was still molten. Conditions of the early Earth were harsh to say the least. Your question Couparangus.

So back then 5_Star caches were the norm? :laughing:

:laughing: ... :laughing: back then, there weren't many drive-by micros yet

Back then the solar system was a cosmic shooting gallery, and we are talking VERY heavy artillery!