Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

While I am sure one could write pages about the differences between stars and planets the most easy way to determine which is a star and which is a planet by looking with the naked eye is movement in the night sky. Six planets are visible with the naked eye. Yes their make up is different than stars, and yes stars twinkle, planets only twinkle when they are close to the horzion. Planets when at maximun brightness are the first and last to be visible in the night sky. The position of a planet can change from night to night.

I am accepting 'movement' as the answer.

Take it away danoshimano

Sure, Juicepig was technicallly correct, but the question was from the point of view of a person standing on the ground looking up at the night sky. Perhaps even an ancient Greek!

But have no fear, I will stick with the topic at hand! (And no cheating on this one! You can't look at anything other than the picture here to get your answer.)

Name this:

quiz.jpg

What? do people hate me or something? Sheesh.. :cry:

Maybe... :P

You should go put in your request for www.ihatejuicepig.com before it's too late! :cry:

TOMTEC

Someone grabbed it... My commute home is too long!

Just to show how smart I am, I just want to point out that of the 162 known planets, Only 5 travel across the sky .. LOOK HOW FRICKIN SMART I AM.

I'm going to say half-moon, or last quarter moon

Edited by Juicepig

I'm going to say half-moon, or last quarter moon

1 point for correctly identifying it as the "last quarter" (as opposed to the "first quarter" which looks the same except facing the other way). MINUS 1 point for calling it a "half" moon. That makes zero.

Guess I'll just have to come up with another question.

Just kidding... Juicepig can tell which way the moon phases are going. Yer smart! And yer up!

Its okay to post a question and then be absent. Just email me the answer and I'll keep tabs. If Lordfishman doesn't break cover in 24 hours I'll ask a question that can only be answered by someone whom has done my GCYMAG cache. <_<

Okay, I won't be that mean...

Time's up!

Q: How many Geocachers does it take to change a lightbulb?

(I have no idea, but the first person who can think up anything funny can go next!)

Edited by Couparangus

Its okay to post a question and then be absent. Just email me the answer and I'll keep tabs. If Lordfishman doesn't break cover in 24 hours I'll ask a question that can only be answered by someone whom has done my GCYMAG cache. :anicute:

Okay, I won't be that mean...

Time's up!

Q: How many Geocachers does it take to change a lightbulb?

(I have no idea, but the first person who can think up anything funny can go next!)

4:

1 to change it

1 to waymark it

1 to find it

1 to CITO out the old bulb

:anicute:

4:

1 to change it

1 to waymark it

1 to find it

1 to CITO out the old bulb

Haha! I'll accept this as a winner. :anicute:

I guess we could expand it further...

1 to create the pocket query

1 to organize the outing (or 6 people if bikes are used)

3 to change the flat tire on NP's bike :anicute:

1 to make the find

3 to make a human ladder hoisting Spike aloft to change the bulb

(add 1 person if cacher is a psychologist and needs to convince the bulb that is *wants* to change first)

1 to CITO out dead bulb

10 to concur over pints of beer how we could've found it sooner if someone did something differently :ph34r:

1 to create a Geocoin to commemorate the expedition

Edited by Couparangus

3 to make a human ladder hoisting Spike aloft to change the bulb

Why not just shoot spike out of a canon? That would save some manpower.

Not after thanksgiving.... I think he'd get stuck in the canon after that Turky binge of his...

He he, it's a good thing he never reads the forums!

TOMTEC

Moving compared to what reference point? <_<

If the center of the Earth, then I agree with the tectonic plate response.

If the center of the universe, then you have to consider how fast our planet, our solar system, our galaxy and our galactic cluster are moving... and that's pretty darn fast <_<

The techtonic plate response is what I'm looking for, so that's half the question answered so far.

The techtonic plate response is what I'm looking for, so that's half the question answered so far.

I am thinking of a virtual cache in front of the Science Centre in Toronto (Every Cache Moves). There is a big spike in the plaza that is driven down into the centre of the earth, and the spike has torn the sidewalk as the plate moves. I think the rip is about 1m and I think the Science Centre has been there about 30 years.

Therefore, my guesstimate is 3-4cm per year.

Edited by danoshimano

I am thinking of a virtual cache in front of the Science Centre in Toronto (Every Cache Moves). There is a big spike in the plaza that is driven down into the centre of the earth, and the spike has torn the sidewalk as the plate moves. I think the rip is about 1m and I think the Science Centre has been there about 30 years.

(too fast)

(too fast)

Wait... the rip is actually closer to 2m, and I'll stick with the 30 years of movement. That makes my new guesstimate 1.5-2cm per year.

(too fast)

Wait... the rip is actually closer to 2m, and I'll stick with the 30 years of movement. That makes my new guesstimate 1.5-2cm per year.

Close enough, the actual speed is ~1.15 cm/year for the North American plate.

Compare this to the rather speedy Pacific plate which is zipping along at ~8.10 cm/year and you'll start to see why the ring of fire is located there.

Over to you Danoshimano

I was going to answer

Up 2 letters

Down 4 letters (doubled)

Top 3 letters

Bottom 6 letters (doubled)

_______ Roof 4 letters

_____ Basement 8 letters (Doubled)

Then I saw shearzones answer

Up

Down

Bottom

_______ Strange 6 letters

_____ Charmed 7 letters

and realized that

Up

Down

Bottom

_______ This line is longer

_____ This line is shorter.

so my answer is

Strange

Charm

Good one Kenny!!! :P:):D

Then I saw shearzones answer

Up

Down

Bottom

_______ Strange 6 letters

_____ Charmed 7 letters

and realized that

Up

Down

Bottom

_______ This line is longer

_____ This line is shorter.

so my answer is

Strange

Charm

Well, I've gotta give it to you then! (With a big nod to Shearzone who recognized it for what it was and came oh so very close. But it is "charm" not "charmed".) I also put the exact amount of underscores for the letters in the word.

These are the "flavours" of quarks, which together with the electron and a couple other pieces are the fundamental building blocks of life, the universe, and everything. (As near as we can tell.) The names are completely meaningless.

As for the connection to geocaching... well, when I was having trouble thinking of a question I went back to the first post and clearly saw "Physics" as one of the categories. And if our species hadn't figured out that physics stuff, we wouldn't be running around with GPS receivers.

Take it away Wavector!

Physics?

Next summer we should all get some long awaited answers!

Answers to what you ask?

Answers to the fundamental questions, answers to life, the universe, everything.

This is a two part question.

Tipler has some very well developed theories regarding certain particles, the top quark among them. In particular he posits a specific mass for the God particle that is much higher than that accepted by most of the scientific community.

What is the God particle?

What is going to happen next summer?

i have to admit that i did not know this. So the urg to google took over and i googled it. I do this when ever i do not know something. I do not post after googleing for these question, however I had to thank wavector for asking this question. I learned something new about something i enjoy PHYSICS(Third favourite topic right after computers and of course geocaching). So thank you again wavector. :)

Tipler. Is he the embarrasment to the physics community with the theory that we will all be reincarnated at the end of the Universe?

The God particle = The Higg's Boson.

Next summer: a particle accelerator is going to come online that has the energy capacity to create the god particle. Not in the U.S. though, because public pressure shut that one down (big mistake). It is in Europe somewhere.

It is fairly easy to confirm that Tipler is a well respected and well known physicist with an impressive body of work. In addition to being a well known scientist he has placed himself at the forefront of controversy in modern physics with his book "The Physics of Immortality".

Tipler is Professor of Mathematics at Tulane University and he has predicted that we will be able to see a Higg's boson as soon as we fire up the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) next summer (2007), this prediction puts him at odds with many other physicists and much of the scientific community.

The crux of the matter is the actual measured mass/energy of the Higgs boson, otherwise known as the God particle. The Higgs Boson is a theoretical particle that is part of the Standard Model yet one has never been seen, all previous attempts to observe this particle have failed and current theories offer no explanation for our lack of success. The CERN accelerator team was convinced they might have seen evidence of this particle near the turn of the century just prior to the shutdown of that accelerator but Tipler categorically denies that they could have seen anything and he is expecting complete vindication of his position next summer when the LHC comes online.

The reason that we cannot see the God particle is explained by Tipler and his theories. Tipler contends that the mass of the Higg's boson is 220 +-20 GeV, this is much higher than the figure generally accepted by the physics community and that energy level is well out of reach of all particle accelerators that have been built so far. The Large Hadron Collider is designed to reveal particles in that mass/energy range. Tipler has made other controversial predictions. Just a decade ago Tipler predicted that we would discover the "top quark" and he also predicted the mass of that particle as 185 +-20 GeV. This prediction was met with scorn by many in the mainstrean scientific community but Tipler was totally vindicated when FermiLabs did indeed observe the top quark and it was discovered to have exactly the mass/energy he predicted.

Tipler joins Velikovsky as another maligned, misunderstood scientist who has managed to earn the ire and the respect of many. Tipler's book "The Physics of Immortality" stands alongside tomes like "Worlds in Collision", it is the same type of radical theory and these theories discomfit those who would like certainty and offend those with strong preconceptions. Tipler has become the target of barbs by commentators who have no background in science or physic. One of the reasons that many religious commentators don't like Tipler is his complete disregard for their "sacred cows".

The Higgs boson is called the God particle for very specific reasons. The particle must follow special rules if it is to fulfill the role described for it in the Standard Model. The particle cannot be constrained by the speed of light or any other limit. It must operate simultaneously across the cosmos. The confirmation of the existence of the Higgs boson implies the existence of a "Higgs field" that permeates and conjoins the entire cosmos, sort of like the "force". :unsure:

There has been no credible refutation of any of Tipler's theories, none, anywhere. In fact the stunning vindication of Tipler with the appearance of the top quark in the energy range he predicted deeply embarrassed his detractors in the physics community.

I am going to refrain from casting stones, I have read the "Physics of Immortality" and concur that is bound to be deeply disturbing to many religious fundamentalists as it doesn't address God so much as the "God particle". The universe may be open or closed and the scientific world is watching to see what the Large Hadron Collider reveals. Paul Harvey called Frank Tipler a "nitwit" and the confirmation of Tipler's prediction of the mass of the top quark was a stunning upset for many in the mainstream physics community, I am not sure it bothered Paul Harvey though. :):unsure:

Take it away dano

Edited by wavector

Frank Tipler has made important contributions in science, and I would never dream of lumping him in with Velikovsky, who is NOT a scientist (he's a psychiatrist), and whose "Worlds In Collision" has no scientific merit.

At least Tipler's Omega Point theory is based on sound physics, but as Kip Thorne points out, his if-then leaps of logic between steps of what must occur in order to reach the Omega Point are far too speculative to be meaningful. Stephen Hawking's comments are perhaps more telling. When asked to comment on Tipler's theory, he replied "My opinion would be libelous."

Just because Tipler has many accomplishments to his credit, it doesn't lend credence to his great leaps of imagination in his Omega Point theory.

Hey, a debate breaking out in the pub!

I will ask a question later, and I promise it will not be about physics.