Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

GrosseFamille is correct. Yup it is that simple. Hoping you know the general layout of the land where you are, you would be aware of significant linear features such as roads, rivers etc. You would aim in the direction of said feature (with assistance of the compass that you always carry with you) and walk. Unlike aiming for a singular feature where your accuracy with a compass is important and an ability to use map and compass are required, this method is simple and effective.

I suspect many of us do this while caching. "I know I parked on con3 and we are east of there so if I bushwack west I should find the road and then the car!"

I'm giving it to GrosseFamille now!

2 is the primary and 12 is the alternative for FRS and 8 for PMR.

According to geocaching FAQ:

Do you have an FRS/PMR channel to find out if other Geocachers are in the area?

Yes. The community has decided on channel 2 as the primary for both FRS and PMR, and 12 as the alternate FRS (Family Radio Service) channel and 8 for the alternate PMR (Europe). FRS and PMR radios are longer distance walkie talkies, like the Motorola Talkabout.

We had been discussing this locally when this was pointed out.

onto you VO2WW.

whoou hou hou I know this one...

1 - losing it

2 - forgetting it at home

3 - forgetting to switch it on

4 - no batteries

5 - dropping it off the side of a mountain

6 - having it chewed by Smudge

7 - Letting your brother in law handle it

Edited by AV Dezign

Okay, lets have a question from you................

Factors that can degrade the GPS signal and thus affect accuracy include the following:

Ionosphere and troposphere delays — The satellite signal slows as it passes through the atmosphere. The GPS system uses a built-in model that calculates an average amount of delay to partially correct for this type of error.

Signal multipath — This occurs when the GPS signal is reflected off objects such as tall buildings or large rock surfaces before it reaches the receiver. This increases the travel time of the signal, thereby causing errors.

Receiver clock errors — A receiver's built-in clock is not as accurate as the atomic clocks onboard the GPS satellites. Therefore, it may have very slight timing errors.

Orbital errors — Also known as ephemeris errors, these are inaccuracies of the satellite's reported location.

Number of satellites visible — The more satellites a GPS receiver can "see," the better the accuracy. Buildings, terrain, electronic interference, or sometimes even dense foliage can block signal reception, causing position errors or possibly no position reading at all. GPS units typically will not work indoors, underwater or underground.

Satellite geometry/shading — This refers to the relative position of the satellites at any given time. Ideal satellite geometry exists when the satellites are located at wide angles relative to each other. Poor geometry results when the satellites are located in a line or in a tight grouping.

Intentional degradation of the satellite signal — Selective Availability (SA) is an intentional degradation of the signal once imposed by the U.S. Department of Defense. SA was intended to prevent military adversaries from using the highly accurate GPS signals. The government turned off SA in May 2000, which significantly improved the accuracy of civilian GPS receivers.

I'll give it to you. Its more like 321.86 meters but 300 is about as close as my Yellow Etrex would get me. :laughing:

Yeah but that 21.86 meters difference is because you did not have an X series. :D

My birthday is coming up.. Maybe I will get a surprise of a nice 60Cx.. :unsure: Then no more searching 21 meters away from the cache...

I'll give it to you. Its more like 321.86 meters but 300 is about as close as my Yellow Etrex would get me. :laughing:

Yeah but that 21.86 meters difference is because you did not have an X series. :D

My birthday is coming up.. Maybe I will get a surprise of a nice 60Cx.. :unsure: Then no more searching 21 meters away from the cache...

Q: Why is the sky blue?

The contents of the Atmosphere scatters the light in all different directions. Higher frequencies (blues) are absorbed by the atmosphere much easier then lower frequencies (such as reds) giving the appearance of a blue sky, even though it is really just a white sky with lower frequency light being absorbed.

Hmmm...pedantry time again...if the speed of light is 299,792,458 through a vacuum, and slower through a medium, as V02WW discussed above, then it would travel less than 299.792,458m in one microsecond. :D

Okay, okay, my turn for a question. :D

Q: Why is the sky blue?

The other wavelengths of light are reflected off of dust particles in the atmosphere. Blue is a longer wavelength and can travel through the atmosphere with less reflection than the other colours. (this was an exam question in university - Remote Sensing I think)

-Donna G

** Hmmm juicepig beat me to it - university was a loooong time ago!

Edited by TheGertridgeExplorers

The contents of the Atmosphere scatters the light in all different directions. Higher frequencies (blues) are absorbed by the atmosphere much easier then lower frequencies (such as reds) giving the appearance of a blue sky, even though it is really just a white sky with lower frequency light being absorbed.

The other wavelengths of light are reflected off of dust particles in the atmosphere. Blue is a longer wavelength and can travel through the atmosphere with less reflection than the other colours. (this was an exam question in university - Remote Sensing I think)

Ah, you're both wrong! It's partially my fault... There are a number of high power spotlights scattered all over the world that are aimed up into the atmosphere to create a gigantic "ceiling-bounce" effect. As most of these lights are HID powered, it creates a Blue tint... See, many years ago the sun was destroyed by an Anonymous Superpower Unit :D for not sharing it's energy supply. Flashoholics all over the world banded together to recreate the effect of the sun with their powerful beams. Unfortunately, during the GHAGAFAP V event, Fizbot managed to capture evidence of us "playing" with the system, so now the secret was out. :D

IMG_7649.JPG

So yeah... that's why the sky is blue! :D Zing!

TOMTEC

P.S. Due to popular demand, we often add red or orange filters during the power down stage, which people have come to know as a "sunset"

Edited by TOMTEC

...............You both are really close. What I need is a definition of "contents" of the atmosphere which cause the Tyndall Effect or Rayleigh Scattering.

Molecules of gases make up the atmosphere. They are over a thousand times smaller than the wavelength of light. The degree to which the shortest wavelengths of light are scattered by very small particles is some 10 times greater than it is for the longest ones which is why the color of scattered sunlight is heavily in favor of the bluer end of the spectrum.

Fusion?

Stars are genrally undergoing fusion reactions, while planets aren't. The sun is a star as it is undergoing fusion, Jupiter is a planet, as it it doesn't have the mass to start a fusion reaction, hence it remains dormant (a planet)

Planets can be orbiting stars, but aren't necessarily (in the case of rogue planets), and stars sometimes orbit other stars.

What distingushes Planets from Stars is that Planets don't stay put.

The word 'planet' comes from a Greek word meaning wanderer.

This is the best way to tell by looking in the sky with the naked eye.

Six of them are visible with the naked eye. Yes their make up is

different than stars, and yes stars twinkle. Planets when at maximun

brightness are the first and last to be visible in the sky. The position

of a planet can change from night to night.

Take it away danoshimano

Edited by VO2WW