Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

I do believe this would be a provincial body and be the OPP in most cases. If its on, or near, water I think that would shift to the coast guard.

Close enough. The complete answer is the police service who has jurisdiction over the area where the search is taking place. In most of Ontario, this would be the OPP Emergency Response Team. But in the case of regions or municipalities, it is the local police. Coast Guard do not have jurisdiction.. However, they, as well as Armed Forces, assist when called upon.

I do believe this would be a provincial body and be the OPP in most cases. If its on, or near, water I think that would shift to the coast guard.

Close enough. The complete answer is the police service who has jurisdiction over the area where the search is taking place. In most of Ontario, this would be the OPP Emergency Response Team. But in the case of regions or municipalities, it is the local police. Coast Guard do not have jurisdiction.. However, they, as well as Armed Forces, assist when called upon.

Those SARtechs we have are awesome dudes. You couldn't pay me enough to jump out of a helo into the black sea at night with 20 foot waves, but they do it and they do it well.

Strong. Proud. Brave. Read about our SAR Tech guys.

Chris

I'll give Luc and Sweety another 24 hours before I punish everyone with another natural sciences question. :anitongue:

Update:

Too slow Luc and Sweety.

Next Question:

(Q) What group of study/activity do these terms apply to?

xerophyte

tetraploid

squarrose

silique

parterre

pleaching

hyper-tufa

(I admit this is only loosely connected with Geocaching, but I have met a cacher who probably knows all these terms).

Edited by Couparangus

OK. Even if I was born in Montreal, I did not know that. But, I found this:

Mont-Royal, Outremont and Westmount.

Actually, they are all part of the same big mountain but they are 3 peaks.

You da man! A toi mon cher...

I was thinking of making a multi that would take you to the exact top of the three peaks, but appart from Mont-Royal which is online, I was unnable to locate the exact coordinates of the other two.

BTW Mount-Royal is the tallest and main one, Westmount peaks to the west of it as you may have deciphered and the other one, is called exactly that, "other mount", Outremont which peaks north northwest.

Edited by AV Dezign
OK. Even if I was born in Montreal, I did not know that. But, I found this:

Mont-Royal, Outremont and Westmount.

Actually, they are all part of the same big mountain but they are 3 peaks.

You da man! A toi mon cher...

I was thinking of making a multi that would take you to the exact top of the three peaks, but appart from Mont-Royal which is online, I was unnable to locate the exact coordinates of the other two.

BTW Mount-Royal is the tallest and main one, Westmount peaks to the west of it as you may have deciphered and the other one, is called exactly that, "other mount", Outremont which peaks north northwest.

Yay! Yé! :huh:

Ok.. here goes.. a two-parter!

bathymetric_areas.jpg

Of the 13 provinces and territories of Canada:

1) which one has the largest freshwater areas? and

2) which one has the largest combined land and freshwater areas?

Hint: It is not the same answer for both.

Whoever will answer correctly the last answer will be next!

Yep the West point is 141 degrees, the Yukon - Alaska border

Close enough on the North but Cape Columbia is a bit above

Cape Alrich but a lot consider it the North point.

Your turn....................

Hey wait a minute, not all the answers have been answered to their fullest, can you give it back with the correct answers with full coordinates please, this is info I would like to know.

North 83 06 - 69 57 Cape Columbia, Alrich is on the mainland part

but most often referenced, Alert is the most Northern community

South 41 41 - 82 40 Middle Island, ON

Point Pelee is the best known Community on mainland part

West 141 00 YK/AK border,

I think there is a small community on the border there but not real sure

East 47 031.24 - 52 37.10 Cape Spear, NL

Check out my cache, Extreme East,

Blackhead is the closest community

He he, the obvious solution for me is turn to the dog! (assuming you have absolutely no idea how to get out) With the simple command "Let's go home!" you'll be led back the way you came... Beat's the track-back feature on a GPS any day. Now, if you don't have a dog... I hope your nose is working!

TOMTEC

It's winter, so I turn around and follow my footprints in the snow.

It's spring, so I turn around and follow my footprints in the mud :mad:

Unless it's that mud we had at the COG Spring Fling 2 years ago... It would swallow your boots then erase any evidence that you were even there! Definately not your friend... He he

TOMTEC

you folks are having too much fun with this one :D

I like all your answers except ask the wife for her GPS...she can darn well use it herself thank you very much!

looking for a real life teachable method called borderline method...although yours thus far would make more sense.

The most lost I ever got was on horseback and every horse I have ever ridden would have hightailed it back to the barn given the option but this young male had rocks for brains and kept wandering about further and further...

Well, I was going to say I would hold the batteries in my armpit for 10 minutes, but maybe Couperangus' method would work better.

Meanwhile, being completely at a loss as to what this is about and being too curious to wait, I decided to find out the "easy" way... Google. (With no intention to post the answer, of course.)

But there ain't nothing on Google for "borderline method" "border-line method" or "border line method" (all searched with assorted modifiers) so now I am wondering if more than 3 people on the planet know about this?