Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

Here's a picture of my wife in Kamloops.

kamloops.jpg

Figuring out the nearest cache would involve looking it up on the internets, which is apparently against the rules. So I'll leave that for someone else.

dave

Well dabhid07, I guess I've held the quiz up long enough, I was hoping someone from the Kamloops area would have been able to answer the question. You got half the question right, so the ball is in your court.

Ask away.....

Rory

On my topo maps it means open fields (no trees). At least that's what I always thought it meant, because when I was on the white, there were no trees.

For topo maps, it would be right, but orienteering maps are different. The colors don't mean the same things as on regular topo maps (also, orienteering maps are usually oriented according to magnetic North instead of true North).

A hint : colors on orienteering maps represent the type of vegetation present (and white is not for fields).

He he, I had to laugh at many of the answers so far... from what I remember, White is used for areas of forest without much undergrowth. The idea being that it should be easy to navigate through and should not impede your progress.

TOMTEC

We have a winner!

White represents "open forest", which is forest where you can run pretty fast off-trail (like most pine forests).

My theory is that white was chosen for the terrain that covered the largest area on the first orienteering maps.

Green is used for thicker forest and undergrowth. The darker the green, the worst it is. Going in the dark green is usually a bad idea when orienteering... I remember taking a "shortcut" and getting stuck in trees so tight my feet were not touching anything :laughing:... it was almost like swimming between trees. Putting a cache in the dark green, while evil, would make it very safe from muggles :laughing:

Your turn TOMTEC!

White represents "open forest", which is forest where you can run pretty fast off-trail (like most pine forests).

He he, running, that's why I was never good at orienteering! Here we go...

All of the co-ordinates listed on Geocaching.com use WGS84 as their reference frame. If you setup your GPS receiver to use NAD83 as it's reference frame, how far away from the cache (in meters) will you be once it zeros out? (Assuming the Hider used WGS84 and you both have perfect accuracy)

TOMTEC

All of the co-ordinates listed on Geocaching.com use WGS84 as their reference frame. If you setup your GPS receiver to use NAD83 as it's reference frame, how far away from the cache (in meters) will you be once it zeros out? (Assuming the Hider used WGS84 and you both have perfect accuracy)

TOMTEC

Originally it was only a centimeter or two, but now can be as much as 1 meter.

Tequila

TOMTEC

3 meters :anibad: ?

1.5-2m?

That'll do... When it was first introduced, NAD83 and WGS84 were basically the same, but WGS84 as had a few "revisions" over the years as the calculations have gotten more accurate... the most current being in 2004. This has resulted in the reference centre of mass shifting by approximately 2 meters from where it was determined to be for NAD83... You could always try use this as your DNF excuse for caches hidden before 2004!

You're up Pig!

TOMTEC

What year was the Northwest Passage first successfully traversed by sea? Closest or correct answer wins as of 10pm September 12 :laughing:

I assume that is 10pm EDT? As for the question, I have no idea...I'll guess 1956, but maybe a spy submarine did it first :huh: ?

Doh! yeah. Eastern Standard time (GMT-5). 1956 is incorrect

Edited by Juicepig

[

Doh! yeah. Eastern Standard time (GMT-5). 1956 is incorrect

I guess shearzone still wins as his was the only answer before the time limit.

(I would have guessed about 1850...really not sure. I remember that it took them several years to make it through, with the boat getting stuck in ice for months in the winter, then slowly moving forward in the summer. Might have been faster to walk from the Atlantic to the Pacific and build a new boat there!)

10EST!!!

The answer is 1906

From Wikipedia:

The Northwest Passage was not conquered by sea until 1906, when the Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen, who had sailed just in time to escape creditors seeking to stop the expedition, completed a three-year voyage in the converted 47-ton herring boat Gjøa. At the end of this trip, he walked into the city of Eagle, Alaska, and sent a telegram announcing his success. His route was not commercially practical; in addition to the time taken, some of the waterways were extremely shallow.

Go ahead Shearzone!

10EST!!!

The answer is 1906

From Wikipedia:

The Northwest Passage was not conquered by sea until 1906, when the Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen, who had sailed just in time to escape creditors seeking to stop the expedition, completed a three-year voyage in the converted 47-ton herring boat Gjøa. At the end of this trip, he walked into the city of Eagle, Alaska, and sent a telegram announcing his success. His route was not commercially practical; in addition to the time taken, some of the waterways were extremely shallow.

Go ahead Shearzone!

Actually, 10PM EST doesn't occur around here until late October. Technically, this is EDT at the moment.... :o

Ok, here is one sticking with the whole GPS theme..

What are the two frequencies that a GPS satellite broadcasts?

Civil GPS receivers use the L1 frequency with 1575.42 MHz (wavelength 19.05 cm). The L1 frequency carries the navigation data as well as the SPS code (standard positioning code). The L2 frequency (1227.60 MHz, wavelength 24.45 cm) only carries the P code and is only used by receivers which are designed for PPS (precision positioning code). Mostly this can be found in military receivers.

Tequila

Ok, here is one sticking with the whole GPS theme..

What are the two frequencies that a GPS satellite broadcasts?

Civil GPS receivers use the L1 frequency with 1575.42 MHz (wavelength 19.05 cm). The L1 frequency carries the navigation data as well as the SPS code (standard positioning code). The L2 frequency (1227.60 MHz, wavelength 24.45 cm) only carries the P code and is only used by receivers which are designed for PPS (precision positioning code). Mostly this can be found in military receivers.

Tequila

Ding ding ding! You are correct.. You're up.

Georgraphy Question:

Name the eastern most, the western most, the northern most and the southern most state in the United States. To win, you must get all four correct.

We've had that question before: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=2357260

OK. How about this?

In the case of a missing civilian in Ontario, who is responsible (in charge) for the search for the missing person?