Canadian Geopub Quiz

Couparangus

If memory serves me correct, isn't that EGNOS?

NP your memory is working well EGNOS it is. I would also have accepted "European Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service" :P . And it does appear to be working well. I was consistently getting an EGNOS signal and a 2 metre accuracy last time I was in Europe. Not that that helps much as many of the hides were pre EGNOS.

Over to you

If memory serves me correct, isn't that EGNOS?

NP your memory is working well EGNOS it is. I would also have accepted "European Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service" :P . And it does appear to be working well. I was consistently getting an EGNOS signal and a 2 metre accuracy last time I was in Europe. Not that that helps much as many of the hides were pre EGNOS.

Over to you

Thank you, Hard Oiler!

Q: In the 1700's they didn't have GPS units, so they used another device. The device had a lot to do with angles and those shiny things in the night sky.

What was this device called?

Thank you, Hard Oiler!

Q: In the 1700's they didn't have GPS units, so they used another device. The device had a lot to do with angles and those shiny things in the night sky.

What was this device called?

Sextant

That is correct, the Sextant was normally used to measure the angle above the horizon of celestial bodies and replaced the Astrolabe.

Your turn :)

Okay, I snuck back to the computer. (Didn't want it to go another two days.)

In March 1996, President Clinton issued a Presidential Decision Directive that included goals for the GPS. One stated goal was to "encourage acceptance and integration of GPS into peaceful civil, commercial and scientific applications worldwide; and to encourage private sector investment in and use of U.S. GPS technologies and services."

To achieve this goal, Clinton committed the U.S. to discontinuing intentional degradation of the GPS signal (SA - Selective Availability) by what year?

In March 1996, President Clinton issued a Presidential Decision Directive that included goals for the GPS. One stated goal was to "encourage acceptance and integration of GPS into peaceful civil, commercial and scientific applications worldwide; and to encourage private sector investment in and use of U.S. GPS technologies and services."

To achieve this goal, Clinton committed the U.S. to discontinuing intentional degradation of the GPS signal (SA - Selective Availability) by what year?

I think that was 2000, wasn't it?

2001?

That is correct. (reference)

Over to res2100!

Next Question:

When I started geocaching on November 6, 2002, who had the most finds in Ontario?

BBoG

1701eh is correct, it was Barnie's Band of Gold. And just to make it fair to the rest of Canada, I also think he had the most finds in Canada at the time too, but I can't be 100% certain.

And here I was dreading it might be somebody out Ottawa way...

Next Question:

I think most of us are familiar with the first cache in Canada, but who was the first finder of that cache? :)

Sounds like this could be a trick question. :) Since I had to look it up, I won't answer.

Next Question:

I think most of us are familiar with the first cache in Canada, but who was the first finder of that cache? :anibad:

I had to look it up too and it really is a trick question (even tougher would be who was the first finder of any cache in Canada and I seem to remember that someone did once figure that out too)

And here I was dreading it might be somebody out Ottawa way...

Next Question:

I think most of us are familiar with the first cache in Canada, but who was the first finder of that cache? :laughing:

As found in:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=113613&hl=gc41

'It was a long time before someone visited my cache. On October 5, 2000 GCBBA was visited by rowsell and her fiance. They had just bought a GPS that day and came to the cache after work. They had actually tried it the day before without a GPS. She had heard about geocaching on Much Music and thought it was something they could do together.'

Well done Fireflyfan!

Your turn...

Which reality show had contestants use a GPS to find their way through the desert? Bonus points if you know the make.

They were using what looked like a Garmin GPSmap 60C last night on Treasure Hunters. Looked like parts of what they drove through in their buses was a desert.

But I also recall them using it during one episode of Amazing Race too.

The Amazing Race

Garmin would be my guess

Correct - it was the Amazing Race in August of 2004. I think it was a yellow Gekko.

Your turn 1701eh

Where was the first international WAAS wide area reference station (WRS) installed?

Hint: It was in Canada, but I'm looking for the name of the population center.

Where was the first international WAAS wide area reference station (WRS) installed?

Hint: It was in Canada, but I'm looking for the name of the population center.

Gotta be Gander, Nfld.

Everything happens first in Gander.

Everything.

Well done TrimblesTrek!

Your Turn...