Magellan Explorist *help*

For the past week, I've finally obtained a better grip on how to run my new eXplorist 600. My first hurdle was the fact you can only hold 200 full description caches on there. So I changed all my 1300+ caches I have downloaded to .LOC files, and used the distance filter on GSAK to make files of 500 or less. Then, I sent the 1300+ GPX files to my Pocket PC to go the paperless route. (IMO - eBooks are a pain in the ***! I found that GPXSonar or GPXView are way better)

Here's my current question: After I find a cache that is on my 600, is there a way I can delete that single cache, and not the entire file containing 500 caches? Just so you know, I don't know what Firmware I'm running on the unit, and Magellan's webpage obviously won't let me download the latest Firmware due to the fact they haven't fixed that link!

Thanks for any and all help!

Edited by dNutz

For the past week, I've finally obtained a better grip on how to run my new eXplorist 600. My first hurdle was the fact you can only hold 200 full description caches on there. So I changed all my 1300+ caches I have downloaded to .LOC files, and used the distance filter on GSAK to make files of 500 or less. Then, I sent the 1300+ GPX files to my Pocket PC to go the paperless route. (IMO - eBooks are a pain in the ***! I found that GPXSonar or GPXView are way better)

Here's my current question: After I find a cache that is on my 600, is there a way I can delete that single cache, and not the entire file containing 500 caches? Just so you know, I don't know what Firmware I'm running on the unit, and Magellan's webpage obviously won't let me download the latest Firmware due to the fact they haven't fixed that link!

Thanks for any and all help!

I have not found a way yet myself.

Wow, sounds like you are making things more difficult for yourself than necessary. Since you are a premium member, don't even bother with the LOC files.

Create pocket queries using whatever criteria you want. You can receive 500 caches per pocket query GPX file that gets delivered zipped in your e-mail. The GPX files are way more data-rich than the LOCs.

Open those GPX files in GSAK, and then you can export the caches 200 at a time to a Geocaching POI file or 500 at a time to a regular POI file.

If you are using the Geocaching POIs, you can mark a cache as found. The cache is not deleted from the POI file, it is simply flagged as found and moved to the list of found caches.

If you are using the regular POIs, you delete it like a regular POI. Press Menu, then go to Points of Interest > My Points of Interest > Position. Then in the list of POIs, highlight the POI you want to delete. Press Menu, then choose Delete POI.

If you are actually in the process of going to the POI, like you are going to a cache, press GOTO again, and choose Delete POI from the menu that comes up.

Wow, sounds like you are making things more difficult for yourself than necessary. Since you are a premium member, don't even bother with the LOC files.

Ummm.....at no point in my first post did I say I downloaded 1300+ caches individually. Of course I downloaded all of them with Pocket Queries. At that point, I took them into GSAK, filtered them, and converted them to .LOC files. What is the need to load all the details of a cache (that a GPX file has) onto my GPS when I have the entire GPX file loaded on my Pocket PC?!?!?!

Look at it this way: I took and converted the exact same set of downloaded caches into 1 GPX file and 1 LOC file. The GPX file was 5.86MB while the LOC file was 312KB. It's a no brainer as of WHY I loaded the LOC file on my GPS and the GPX file on my Pocket PC. All you need is the name of the cache and the coordinates on your GPS.

If you are using the Geocaching POIs, you can mark a cache as found. The cache is not deleted from the POI file, it is simply flagged as found and moved to the list of found caches.

I understand how to delete a regular POIs as you mentioned, but with Geocaching POIs, I don't quite understand what you're talking about. Are you speaking about flagging found caches in GSAK, because I haven't seen a way to flag a Geocaching POIs on my GPS.

I have a 500--it's pretty much the same as your 600.

To get around the 200 limit, I quit using the Geocache folder and put all my cache waypoint in as POIs. I do it in sets of 500, because that is the limit of a Pocket Query. The only thing you lose in this process is the hints. Not a problem for me because I use Cachemate for that. And you can delete a cache after it has been found.

Give it a try.

I missed something - why do you convert them to .LOC files? GSAK has the ability to output Explorist Geocache files directly.

I use GSAK as my main management tool, and Cachemate as my portable extension of the tool.

From GSAK, I use macros to both update Cachemate and my Explorist. A single macro splits the list of unfound caches into groupings that make sense to me and writes them directly to my Explorist. Since the macro overwrites the old Explorist cache files with new ones, I never have to bother deleting found caches - the overwrite takes care of that.

I understand how to delete a regular POIs as you mentioned, but with Geocaching POIs, I don't quite understand what you're talking about. Are you speaking about flagging found caches in GSAK, because I haven't seen a way to flag a Geocaching POIs on my GPS.

No, not in GSAK. Use a Geocaching POI as a goto on your receiver. Press GOTO button again. A menu will appear giving you the choice of marking the cache as found. This is assuming you are using the most recent firmware, which came out late last year.

To get more technical, what happens is the receiver creates another text file. Say you have a Geocaching POI file called june01.gs. You mark a cache as found in that file. The GPSr creates a file called june01.fnd and puts something in there showing you found cache XYZ at 3:46PM on June 1 2006. Unfortunately, no one has figured out how to read the data in that .fnd file yet. You only see the .fnd file when the GPSr is connected to the PC.

No, not in GSAK. Use a Geocaching POI as a goto on your receiver. Press GOTO button again. A menu will appear giving you the choice of marking the cache as found. This is assuming you are using the most recent firmware, which came out late last year.

To get more technical, what happens is the receiver creates another text file. Say you have a Geocaching POI file called june01.gs. You mark a cache as found in that file. The GPSr creates a file called june01.fnd and puts something in there showing you found cache XYZ at 3:46PM on June 1 2006. Unfortunately, no one has figured out how to read the data in that .fnd file yet. You only see the .fnd file when the GPSr is connected to the PC.

after you found the cache you can click on menu go to geocache Pts click on it

then click on position, with one of the unfound caches highlighted click on menu again it should show

find cache by ID (or name, one or the other)

show found cache

click on found cache and it will show a list of found caches

This only works with the newer revision 5.2.03

Edited by vagabond