Stand Alone Compass

I'm using a basic Silva compass. Small & rugged.

Any brand will probably do. Just make sure it's liquid filled is of rugged design, and the degree numbers are readable.

As a newbie to Geo caching I was wondering if you could draw out a scenario explaining how one would change over to a manual compass to finish finding the cache? I have a 60CX and a Silva compass but havn't used either to geocache yet.

Any brand will probably do. Just make sure it's liquid filled is of rugged design, and the degree numbers are readable.

As a newbie to Geo caching I was wondering if you could draw out a scenario explaining how one would change over to a manual compass to finish finding the cache? I have a 60CX and a Silva compass but havn't used either to geocache yet.

I was sort of wandering the same thing. I have the 60cx and have found caches but you have to keep walking to get the bearing. Do you simply change the bearing on the manual compass as you get closer? Just wandering how others use their manual compass or simply use it as a backup just in case

I was sort of wandering the same thing. I have the 60cx and have found caches but you have to keep walking to get the bearing. Do you simply change the bearing on the manual compass as you get closer? Just wandering how others use their manual compass or simply use it as a backup just in case

When you are standing still the navigation page has the information you need to use the magnetic compass. The arrow probably will not be pointing in the direction of the cache, but it will be pointing to the bearing you need to use with your compass to get to the waypoint (cache). You also can set up the data fields to give you the bearing and distance to the cache. Set the bearing on your magnetic compass and shoot the arrow to the cache. All this assuming you know how to set and follow a bearing on a magnetic compass.