How Long Until I Can Submit A Cache?

RedMatrix

I am interested in placing my first cache. However, I am wondering if the timing is right. Can anyone point me to a good resource of information regarding placing caches. I have already read the where-not-to place one. But my question is more about embarking.

TFT help.

Glad you're ready to contribute to the sport. First and most important, be familiar with the guidelines for placing a cache. This will make the review process much smoother for you. Second, here is a short tutorial on placing a cache, which should be helpful. Other than that I'm not aware of any source of information.

Here are some tips though.

1. Use a durable, water resistant container. This will reduce the need for maintenance. Check out this thread for ideas.

2. Use an appropriate container for your intended area. An ammo box is great, but it might easily be

discovered in a popular, urban park and result in the bomb squad being called in. On the other hand

a micro deep in the woods is bound to annoy many of your fellow geocachers and could increase

damage made by searchers.

2. Chose someplace interesting for your cache. It could be a nice view, unique geological feature, historic site, or just a pleasant walk. The spot doesn't have to wow people, but think of why you are bringing people to that spot. If its just for the cache, consider a different place.

3. Mark your container clearly as a geocache and put contact info on the outside and a letter explaining what it is on the inside.

4. Stock your cache with decent stuff. You don't have to bust your budget. There are many decent items that can be found for under dollar or two. Don't just empty out your junk drawer. If the item belongs in the garbage, put it in the garbage, not the cache.

5. Try to place it where searchers won't be observed, or set the neighbors dogs a barkin' and where non-geocachers are unlikely to stumble on it by accident. It will last a lot longer if you do this.

6. Conceal it well and as naturally looking as possible. A big pile of sticks or bark will hide the cache, but might attract curiosity seekers.

7. Maintain your cache. Be ready to respond promptly to reported problems. Check on the area after half dozen or so finds to assess the impact on the area. If there is visible impact, consider moving it.

8. If you lose interest, please remove the cache.

I am interested in placing my first cache. However, I am wondering if the timing is right. Can anyone point me to a good resource of information regarding placing caches. I have already read the where-not-to place one. But my question is more about embarking.

If you feel ready to hide a cache go for it! I didn't personally feel ready until I had over 50 hides, at that point I had seen many good caches, a few bad caches so I had a general idea of how to hide a cache that would both be interesting and challenging.

Geocacher University also has some good articles about cache placement.

If you "get it" then there is no reason to wait before hiding a cache. What does "get it" mean? To me, you've chosen a location you want to share with people, you've selected the container that best fits the available hiding spots (whether a bison capsule or an ammo box), you know how to mark coordinates, and you understand the listing guidelines.

Some people never do "get it."

Great. Thanks for the info y'all.

I have two ammo boxes and am thinking of where to place them. I will scout an area with no known caches this weekend!

~Dave

Don't forget to paint over the military markings and mark the ammo boxes as geocaches. I can send you a stencil if you like. Looks like these:

edf83031-10c3-4391-a24b-3d5a3883dbc0.jpg