Help Please With City Select Vs Navigator

Goodmorning all

I have a GPSMap 60c and I need to know from those of you have "been there done that", which is the one to get....City Select or Navigator. Does my GPS have the voice alert thing? Also, my bro-inlaw has the same GPS so can we share the software?

Thanks in advance

Bob

Goodmorning all

I have a GPSMap 60c and I need to know from those of you have "been there done that", which is the one to get....City Select or Navigator. Does my GPS have the voice alert thing? Also, my bro-inlaw has the same GPS so can we share the software?

Thanks in advance

Bob

Due to your limited map memory (assuming you really have a 60C and not a 60CX), you will be better off with CS version 7 than CN v7. Navigator has large map segments, limiting your ability to select map segments along a route, for example. If you live near a state border, you may not have room for maps from both sides of the border with CN v7. That said, City Select has been discontinued and has been replaced by City Navigator. City Select is still available from many vendors. We have been told CN v8 will have the small map segments. Other than the segment size, there is little difference.

You do not have voice guidance, only tone alerts.

While you can get two unlock codes for the maps and theoretically could share them, I believe that it is a violation of the Garmin's Terms of Use Agreement to share them with another person.

Edited by Klatch

skycop,

I have the same gps as you and have similiar questions about which software to buy select or navigator.

i have seen that they naviagtor will be the only one of the 2 available.

my question is if i buy select today, will garmin supply me with the new navigator software when it is available ( when ever that is ). i have read posts about if you buy select and don,t unlock it when garmin releases the new navigator they will give it to you no charge. but if they don,t then i have made a purchase of ther software that i should not have.

has garmin officially made any release dates .

i just no if i buy the old city select, i will be sorry that i should have waited for the new navigator.

it seems that if you buy the city slect for lets say around $90.00 +/-. you kind of wonder why garmim would provice you with a newe version that will cost a heck of a lot more.

tony

Can't say it any better than Neo Geo:

I think the key is when you UNLOCK the maps to the GPSr - not necessarily when purchased. You could buy version 7 today - wait and unlock it after the official release date, and then get the free upgrade.

CLICK HERE

AFAIK, Garmin hasn't officially released CN 8 as of this morning, but you can check here.

Edited by Sputnik 57

Can't say it any better than Neo Geo:

I think the key is when you UNLOCK the maps to the GPSr - not necessarily when purchased. You could buy version 7 today - wait and unlock it after the official release date, and then get the free upgrade.

CLICK HERE

AFAIK, Garmin hasn't officially released CN 8 as of this morning, but you can check here.

Does anyone know for sure than CS v7 will be a free upgrade to CN v8? Or that CS v6 will be allowed on the upgrade path for CN v8 for a lesser amount than buy it new?

My choice was neither City Select nor City Navigator. I used Metroguide USA v3 for several years, until I purchased MetroGuide North America v7 just recently. You can find v7 for about $80 street if you look around. There were and are no unlock codes and all map segments can be freely downloaded to any/all Garmin GPS units you choose (given they support mapping). The software is not copy-protected nor does it require serial numbers or activation to install on your PC.

The downside is the recent Metroguide versions do not (officially) support routing on the unit, only on the PC. However, all the data is available on the Metroguide DVD but Garmin's MapSource wrapper-software strips the routing info on the way down to your GPS. The workaround to that is a simple wrapper program "img2gps" found here. Using that wrapper to download your Metroguide maps allows routing to be performed within your GPS unit.

Edited by zapped

One downside, I have discovered that metroguide V4, find by address function, does not work reliably on a 60CSX. Latest and greatest software versions 2.7/2.5. You can get it to work, sometimes, but it is cumbersome. The maps, (although out of date for Phoenix AZ), and autorouting works fine.

I am going to buy city navigator V8 when it comes out.

One downside, I have discovered that metroguide V4, find by address function, does not work reliably on a 60CSX. Latest and greatest software versions 2.7/2.5. You can get it to work, sometimes, but it is cumbersome. The maps, (although out of date for Phoenix AZ), and autorouting works fine.

I am going to buy city navigator V8 when it comes out.

If you want to know how Metroguide v7 is doing nowadays, just give me an example address that doesn't work for you currently & I can try it on my eTrex Legend Cx with the appropriate Metroguide v7 section downloaded. Maybe make up an alternate address that's broken if the information is personal.