File/map Management On 60csx W/ Microsc Card

[TITLE CORRECTION: that's MicroSD Card, of course.]

Just took the plunge and replaced my Garmin 60CS with a 60CSx. It came last night and so I ought to tinker first, but I though I'd ask also.

I have a few questions about data on the microSD cards that I'm hoping someone might answer:

[i own City Select North America ver 7 and I've ordered a 1 gig microSD card.]

(1) The manual says one can copy files to a microSD card with a card reader. Does the GPS needs to be attached to the computer also, or can you just copy the files to the card.

(2) If you can just copy the files to the card, how are copyrights protected? Does the card know which GPS the card goes to? And, would htis mean that if I had two "x" models, the card would work in only one of them?

(3) I have some "spare" non-micro (ie standard sized) SD cards. I'd not like to have to buy another microSD card. So, can I put map data on a regular SD card and find a computer - one that does not have MapSource or any maps on it - and put that data on the computer and then transfer that data to my micoSD card? The point is, I'd like a backup of the maps when I travel as I don't want to have to take my laptop with me. And, I don't want to buy another microSD card. Also, if I were on a BIG road trip, I could put the maps I'm using on the microSD card and the maps I will be using on a regular SD card and then find a computer and put the maps set I need on the microSD card.

(4) If I copy maps to my micoSD card, can I back up the card to a computer (one not running MapSourse) and then restore thes files to the same (or another) microSD card?

I guess the whole point is that I don't un

derstand how copyright works when the map data can be on an external microSD card.

Any help here would be much appreciated.

mgabel_pi

Edited by mgabel
(1) The manual says one can copy files to a microSD card with a card reader. Does the GPS needs to be attached to the computer also, or can you just copy the files to the card.
Just copy. You must do that first with mapsource. Mapsource knows which GPS-units are authorized for your maps and generates the necessary file (either directly in the unit, or on the micro-SD-card (via cardreader or SD-adapter), you specify that in mapsource).

(2) If you can just copy the files to the card, how are copyrights protected? Does the card know which GPS the card goes to? And, would htis mean that if I had two "x" models, the card would work in only one of them?
The mapsource generated file, which contains the combination of maps you specified (e.g. topomaps and CitySelect), contains also the necessary keys for your unit. If you put the card in another unit, it will not display the maps there.

If you have 2 models, and mapsource has a key for each unit, the file will work in both. If not, then not.

(3) I have some "spare" non-micro (ie standard sized) SD cards. I'd not like to have to buy another microSD card. So, can I put map data on a regular SD card and find a computer - one that does not have MapSource or any maps on it - and put that data on the computer and then transfer that data to my micoSD card? The point is, I'd like a backup of the maps when I travel as I don't want to have to take my laptop with me. And, I don't want to buy another microSD card.
Yes, once the file is generated by mapsource, you can handle it like any other windows (or Linux) file. Copy it from the micro-SD card to a harddisk or to a CD (you name it), and copy it back to the micro-SD card. Because the file is key-protected, it is of no use for other GPS-owners.

Easiest solution for me is to burn the necessary files on a CD and carry a micro-SD/SD-Adapter with me, because many computers have a slot for normal SD cards. Then the file can be copied from CD to the micro-SD card via the adapter.

(Edit:) To be complete: as Olar mentioned below in post 4, with beta-firmware 2.71 you can set the GPS-unit to "USB storage mode", so you can copy files directly from/to the micro SD card. Though it's slower than with an adapter, it's safer and easier while travelling. (/Edit)

(4) If I copy maps to my micoSD card, can I back up the card to a computer (one not running MapSourse) and then restore thes files to the same (or another) microSD card?
Yes, as mentioned above. Edited by NewZealand

I'll add a couple of points.

The map file created by Mapsource is filed on the microSD card in a folder named "Garmin". Presumably that is what your GPSr will be looking for.

The latest beta firmware version allows you to access the card to read & write to it while still in the unit. No need to take the card out any longer which will greatly reduce the chance of accidental damage during handling.

Cheers, Olar

What about maps generated from other programs or home made maps? I have National Geographic Maps TOPO! for Arizona ... Can I generate maps from National Geographic Maps TOPO! program for my 60csx?

What format must the maps be in (I'm not sure if I am using the right terminology).

What about maps generated from other programs or home made maps? I have National Geographic Maps TOPO! for Arizona ... Can I generate maps from National Geographic Maps TOPO! program for my 60csx?

National Geographic maps cannot be loaded into your GPS. There is software to build your own maps but it's much more involved than using something as simple as Mapsource.

Here's an example:

http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm

GeoBC

One more quicky, please.

Does anyone know what the max size (as per Mapsource) of the files you can put on a 1 gig card. The 64 meg card apparently can hold 59.5 MB. [surely this has been posted, but I could not find it.] I did find the post where it said that the max number of files is 2025.

Just put 974.7 megs on a 1 GB card. Worked fine (but took like 2 or 3 hours)

I'm guessing that you had your gps connected to the computer and transferred the maps to the gps unit. Next time try using a card reader. MapSource will save the file(s) to the card directly when it's in a card reader. Much faster.

Just put 974.7 megs on a 1 GB card. Worked fine (but took like 2 or 3 hours)

I'm guessing that you had your gps connected to the computer and transferred the maps to the gps unit. Next time try using a card reader. MapSource will save the file(s) to the card directly when it's in a card reader. Much faster.

Yes, I did. I'll try that other way. But, I really want to know the max megs that go on a 1 gig card.

Thx. mgabel