Question About Terracaching.com ?

I just signed up to check out tc.com and there are 3 listings within 100 miles from my zip code, are there numbers really that low, also the three listings seemed all to be virtual is that all there is no ammo cans and such? One was take a pic of the bridge with your gps and one without, I must be missing something here.

Thanks,

Jake

Team Jsam

I like a lot of the ideas and implementation of terracaching.com, but the reality is that im my area there are so few caches as to make it a moot point...hopefully in the future there will be more and that site and this one can work together and separately to strengthen geocaching.

Jamie - NFA

Around here, the caches on TC.com used to be limited, and most of them were at the top of desert mountains at the end of an arduous hike. icon_smile_tongue.gif

Recently, a prolific Geocache hider started putting Terracaches on the top of other, closer peaks. I found my second Terracache last Saturday. thumbsup.gif

I signed up on TC.com because I didn't want to hike to the top of a peak and find out I had passed by a Terracache on the way to a Geocache.

There are certainly fewer caches listed on terracaching....but how many results would you have seen in your zip code in 2002 on geocaching.com?

I'm not really an avid terracacher, but I do hope the site continues to grow and finds its niche alongside geocaching.com.

I checked that site out awhile back and found pretty much the same thing, notihng in my area. It's just a different listing site for pretty much the same thing, but nowhere near as large. And I seem to remember that they have no listing guidelines either, but I could be wrong on that.

would it be totally wrong to post the same cache on both sites for all to enjoy if you have a good location.

Yes . . . however, since Terracachers are more serious hikers, I'm considering placing a Terracache near a Geocache I just placed because the area is so beautiful. :)

"Terracachers are more serious hikers." :laughing: When the same person finds a Geocache, they're *not* serious? People are people. Some are serious hikers and some aren't. Do you think Star Bellied Sneetches are more serious?

The serious hikers must have been having bad days when they hid the terracaches within 100 miles of my home coordinates. The cumulative roundtrip hiking distance on all of six of them combined is about 300 feet. Note that this excludes a vacation virtual where the owner didn't even hike to the site (here are the approximate coordinates, go try and find a spot in the woods where I partied many years ago).

A couple weekends ago, I archived four of my caches. My hiking distance to pick up the containers was 12 miles. But I guess I'm not a serious hiker.

Last I checked, the nearest terracache to me was about 20 miles away. In contrast, I can literally open my front door, throw my GPS* outside and hit the nearest geocache. Not even a close comparison. I do want to hide a terracache, just as an experiemnt to see how long it takes someone else to actually find it.

*This action is not recommended by most GPS manufacturers

Total number of finds logged on the terracaches within 100 miles of my house: 2, spread over 7 caches.

I'd rather hide caches that people *find.*

It will be hard to find the virtual terracache listed at N41° out in the boonies. The historic marker's actually in the City of Pittsburgh at N40°. That typo must have slipped by in the review process. My waymark of the same marker is accurate to within 25 feet.

Edited by The Leprechauns

Last I checked, the nearest terracache to me was about 20 miles away. In contrast, I can literally open my front door, throw my GPS* outside and hit the nearest geocache. Not even a close comparison. I do want to hide a terracache, just as an experiemnt to see how long it takes someone else to actually find it.

*This action is not recommended by most GPS manufacturers

:laughing:

I've considered hiding a Terracache in the park near my house. There is a great spot (in my opinion) that is only 400 feet from a micro in the woods (complete with soggy logsheet). However, that cache is now missing, and about a week or two away from being archived, so I'll likely hide it as a Geocache.

I've only found two Terracaches, both Locationless. I still get alerts of new ones, but I believe the closest actual Terracache to me is about 10 miles.

Total number of finds logged on the terracaches within 100 miles of my house: 2, spread over 7 caches.

I'd rather hide caches that people *find.*

It will be hard to find the virtual terracache listed at N41° out in the boonies. The historic marker's actually in the City of Pittsburgh at N40°. That must have slipped by in the review process. My waymark of the same marker is accurate to within 25 feet.

Oh, sure, blame it on the reviewers. Typical.

:laughing:

Maybe they would benefit from having The Pig as a reviewer. It would be a nice refreshing change from canned form letters.

mmmmmmm pork products. Hey I just thought of this I bet the O.C.B had some pork in it. MMmmmmmmm bacon.

Money talks, terracachers walk :laughing: . I must admit that I do have one out on the other site. Yes it is a lame micro. It has had one visitor in something like 9 months. My test proved my thoughts.

Terracache density depends on where you live. Terracaching is quite popular in Texas, for example.

It much like geocaching was when I started - there were only a handful of caches in the Dallas area, but now there are thousands only a few years later. It just takes time to catch on.

Around here, the caches on TC.com used to be limited, and most of them were at the top of desert mountains at the end of an arduous hike. icon_smile_tongue.gif

Recently, a prolific Geocache hider started putting Terracaches on the top of other, closer peaks. I found my second Terracache last Saturday. thumbsup.gif

I signed up on TC.com because I didn't want to hike to the top of a peak and find out I had passed by a Terracache on the way to a Geocache.

Thats preaty much why I did as well.

There are certainly fewer caches listed on terracaching....but how many results would you have seen in your zip code in 2002 on geocaching.com?

Hundreds. Well more than the 3 or 4 on TC.

If GC keeps pissing cacher's off by archiving caches because someone whined about skewed counts......they'll (cache owners) move the caches to TC and then there will be hundreds over there. Just give it time.

If GC keeps pissing cacher's off by archiving caches because someone whined about skewed counts......they'll (cache owners) move the caches to TC and then there will be hundreds over there. Just give it time.

Where they'll get pissed off when they find their caches auto archived, although nobody ever even attempted it.

I'm not really an avid terracacher, but I do hope the site continues to grow and finds its niche alongside geocaching.com.

I joined this site in 2002. There were more caches in my zip code on this site then then there are in my entire state on TC now :laughing:

Perhaps this is a good thing. All the folks that can't understand or abide by the gc.com guidelines can play their own version of the game elsewhere. They might be happier and those that do abide by the guidelines might be happier.

Where they'll get pissed off when they find their caches auto archived, although nobody ever even attempted it.

That's why the approval process is set up the way it is in TC so that doesn't happen.

That's why the approval process is set up the way it is in TC so that doesn't happen.

Really? So if people who never attempted the cache rated it low on their "impression" from reading the page, it won't be autoarchived? When did they change that?

Perhaps this is a good thing. All the folks that can't understand or abide by the gc.com guidelines can play their own version of the game elsewhere. They might be happier and those that do abide by the guidelines might be happier.

True..... I was always taught you didn't like the game take your marbles and leave.

It's ashame that things come to that though. :) The geocaching community (that stood for togetherness and loose play) has now resorted to numbers and strict "straitline" thinking (kinda like our Government) :laughing: When you got people like "Cryminal" (nope didn't misspell) that can't just play the game and leave everyone else alone to play it puts a damper on things. Oh well, enjoy! :huh:

Really? So if people who never attempted the cache rated it low on their "impression" from reading the page, it won't be autoarchived? When did they change that?

It would, but the approvers have the foresight to make sure it's something worth ranking before putting it out there.

Edited by texastracker

I suspect another reason Terracaching might have a lower participation level is that whole "sponsorship" thing -- you can't really do anything there until you can find two people to "sponsor" you as a member. I'm not sure what that's all about seeing as you just put up a post on the forum looking for sponsors and eventually you get them. When I first stumbled across Terracaching I got to that point and said, "Screw it." I'm inherently lazy when it comes to that kind of thing. However, today -- after reading this thread -- I went over and posted my request, etc. We'll see if anyone decides to let me on board!