Geowoodstock Does The Location Change?

I understand it has been held in the following locatons: FL, MA, TN, CO, CA, WI, OK, and Iraq.

Quite the logistical challenge.

GW1- Nashville TN (go figure)

GW2- I do not know

GW3- Jacksonville FL

GW4- Dallas TX

I'm not sure where you got some of the other states from but their have only been 4 offical Geowoodstocks. I know the debate will quickly shift now to where next year's event will be held. I've heard rumors of one southern state considering it, but we shall see. It is up to the person who runs GW and the last host site.

GW2- Louisville, KY

GW3- Jacksonville FL

GW4- Dallas TX

Filled it in for you, I wish I was a cacher when GW was so close to me in Nashville, or Louisville, either one was WAY closer than Texas.

Still not right. GW1 was Louisville and GW2 was Nashville. The next location will be selected by the prior hosts.

Edited by Keystone

Geowoodstock does move to different areas the site selection it made by the previous host of the mega event like Keystone said along with the right locations for the first four.

Any Geocaching organizations that would like to host this event for 2007 can start by emailing me at JoGPS@aol.com , the requirements will not be finalizes for about three weeks but will send one out when they are ready, after about 45 days we start the serious site selection from those that ask about hosting the largest event in the world.

Joe

GW2- Louisville, KY

GW3- Jacksonville FL

GW4- Dallas TX

Filled it in for you, I wish I was a cacher when GW was so close to me in Nashville, or Louisville, either one was WAY closer than Texas.

Still not right. GW1 was Louisville and GW2 was Nashville. The next location will be selected by the prior hosts.

Thanks, Keystone, for getting it right.

GW1: Louisville, KY in June 2003

--About 80 cachers in attendance, including top cache finders at that time: BruceS, Lil' Otter, Show Me The Cache, CCCooperAgency,Southpaw, JoGPS, RobertLipe.

The cache City Slickers: Geo-woodstock I (GCP7C8) is a replacement cache honoring the original event. The photos show the humble but happy beginnings of Geowoodstock.

the site selection is made by the previous host of the mega event

Let's the brown-nosing begin! :) Just be careful what you wish for...

Before individual cachers keep stating their favorites, I think JoGPS's comments concerning the need to work thru organizations should be emphasized in communicating with JoGPS and the previous host (now Texas) of which 9-Key serves as a representative. The criteria for hosting such an event is mind-boggling (space, cache variety and density, related events/lectures, merchandise, etc.).

Before individual cachers keep stating their favorites, I think JoGPS's comments concerning the need to work thru organizations should be emphasized in communicating with JoGPS and the previous host (now Texas) of which 9-Key serves as a representative. The criteria for hosting such an event is mind-boggling (space, cache variety and density, related events/lectures, merchandise, etc.).

And, I assume, financial cost? Can't imagine the $$$ behind such an event...

the site selection is made by the previous host of the mega event

Let's the brown-nosing begin! :) Just be careful what you wish for...

Well stated, Teach2Learn! Couldn't have said it better myself.

I understand it has been held in the following locatons: FL, MA, TN, CO, CA, WI, OK, and Iraq.

Quite the logistical challenge.

GW2- I do not know

GW3- Jacksonville FL

GW4- Dallas TX

I'm not sure where you got some of the other states from but their have only been 4 offical Geowoodstocks. I know the debate will quickly shift now to where next year's event will be held. I've heard rumors of one southern state considering it, but we shall see. It is up to the person who runs GW and the last host site.

Read some of the other threads on this forum about GW4. That was a poke at the fake find logging that was going on there. People were logging caches from all those areas (and Maryland, I heard) while sitting on their duffs in Texas.

Read some of the other threads on this forum about GW4. That was a poke at the fake find logging that was going on there. People were logging caches from all those areas (and Maryland, I heard) while sitting on their duffs in Texas.

This pertains to GW5, how? :) The topic is about the selection process for next year's event. Please stay on topic. Thanks

This pertains to GW5, how? :( The topic is about the selection process for next year's event. Please stay on topic. Thanks

I thought this thread was about whether GW's location changed or if it is always in Texas. Since the question has been answered definitively, the thread should either be locked or there should be no problems with it going off topic in any direction (not just the one you choose :) ).

This pertains to GW5, how? :) The topic is about the selection process for next year's event. Please stay on topic. Thanks

Ok then I have a GW related question, how is the date of the event determined? (it changes right?) I assume the organizing group picks the date, right??

Edited by welch

This pertains to GW5, how? :rolleyes: The topic is about the selection process for next year's event. Please stay on topic. Thanks

Ok then I have a GW related question, how is the date of the event determined? (it changes right?) I assume the organizing group picks the date, right??

The organization can change the date between two weekends right now either the 4th of July, or Memorial day weekend mainly for travel time of three days.

Three votes this year will come from Northeast Florida Geocachers Association, The Texas Geocaching Association , and myself .

Its cool to see folks with where they would like to see GW5, but it is the total package from an organization that we look at for treating the visiting geocachers the BEST.

Joe

I would like to see Michigan handle it next year.

Take a look at the MidWest GeoBash and see how they are handling it. It's about the same size as a GeoWoodstock, they have a great location, indoor/outdoor pavilion WITH A/C...

They're certainly organized enough to pull it off...

Yep, Michigan. :rolleyes:

I would like to see Michigan handle it next year.

Take a look at the MidWest GeoBash and see how they are handling it. It's about the same size as a GeoWoodstock, they have a great location, indoor/outdoor pavilion WITH A/C...

They're certainly organized enough to pull it off...

Yep, Michigan. :rolleyes:

Hey I just added A/C to my lanai - we can have out there! :unsure:

I am glad you all think Colorado would be a great place for GW5. it is a great place to live and to cache. We, C.A.C.H.E. will NOT be putting our hat in the ring for GW5. GW6 may be a different story. Currently the infrastructure in Colorado could not do justice to an event of this size. Having said that, We will be happy to have any and all of you come to our great state to cache and visit. Give us enough notice and we might be able to get you one of our truly great cachers as a guide. We have many that qualify.

Edited by CO Admin

We, C.A.C.H.E. will NOT be putting our hat in the ring for GW5. GW6 may be a different story. Currently the infrastructure in Colorado could not do justice to an event of this size.

Um, is Colorado looking to expand its boarders?

Which state(s) are you planning to invade? B)

We, C.A.C.H.E. will NOT be putting our hat in the ring for GW5. GW6 may be a different story. Currently the infrastructure in Colorado could not do justice to an event of this size.

Um, is Colorado looking to expand its boarders?

Which state(s) are you planning to invade? B)

They are going to take Texas back from Mexico.

This pertains to GW5, how? B) The topic is about the selection process for next year's event. Please stay on topic. Thanks

Who was talking about GW5? Someone asked a question, I answered it. Go stick you're nose somewhere else if you can't comprehend the topics being discussed here.

This pertains to GW5, how? B) The topic is about the selection process for next year's event. Please stay on topic. Thanks

Who was talking about GW5? Someone asked a question, I answered it. Go stick you're nose somewhere else if you can't comprehend the topics being discussed here.

You did not answers any questions only tried to derail the topic by talking about things that GW4 had nothing to do with, or control over, let alone GW5

Please go away, people like you are why these forums are most always never viewed by the general caching public, there is someone like you trying to start some crap, even in a nice thread

Joe

You did not answers any questions only tried to derail the topic by talking about things that GW4 had nothing to do with, or control over, let alone GW5

Please go away, people like you are why these forums are most always never viewed by the general caching public, there is someone like you trying to start some crap, even in a nice thread

Joe

If you say so Joe.........it's your delusion, have it your way.

Joe

B)

From the Forum Guidelines which are available at the top of every page:

Some things to keep in mind when posting:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Foul Language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family friendly, and all posts and posters must respect the integrity of the site.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

Keep on topic: Responses to a particular thread should be on-topic and pertain to the discussion. Users should use the New Topic button to start a new discussion which would otherwise be off-topic in the current thread. Threads that are off topic may be closed by the moderator.

Please stop the bickering. Anything after this gets a formal warning and/or posting suspension.

Thanks.

Here's another vote for CO. Anywhere but here, actually. Durned turrists. "Welcome to NH. Now Pay the tolls and then go home!" <- State motto. B)

Fixed it for ya B)

B):rolleyes::rolleyes: Pretty much, I'm afraid. We do have the tourist traps, unfortunately. In a mild defense, much of teh eastern seaboard has lots of toll roads.

Anyway, NH would not make a good GW location. Not only due to low-ish cache density, but because I can't think of a good place to gather hundreds of people in one place, what with camping and all. It could not be done at one site - you'd have to get dozens of sites spread across miles of backcountry roads.

I'd like to see the Chicago area get GW5. That APE cache would certainly get a bunch of hits.....

As long as finds are only claimed by people finding the cache in its natural environment rather than bringing the cache to the event B)

Okay, was that reeeeeally necessary? B)

I'd like to see the Chicago area get GW5. That APE cache would certainly get a bunch of hits.....

As long as finds are only claimed by people finding the cache in its natural environment rather than bringing the cache to the event B)

Okay, was that reeeeeally necessary? B)

Considering that the owner of that ape cache was asked to bring it to a recent large event, yes it was.

Edited by LaPaglia

This pertains to GW5, how? <_< The topic is about the selection process for next year's event. Please stay on topic. Thanks

The organization can change the date between two weekends right now either the 4th of July, or Memorial day weekend mainly for travel time of three days.

Three votes this year will come from Northeast Florida Geocachers Association, The Texas Geocaching Association , and myself .

Its cool to see folks with where they would like to see GW5, but it is the total package from an organization that we look at for treating the visiting geocachers the BEST.

Joe

Thanks, I thought it had been other dates in the past, but didn't know why.

Based on recent events starting Jan 1, Geowoodstock 5 will be a moving event and each day you attend is another smile you can get.

I think it would be cool to expand Geowoodstock outside the Southeast (as grouped by the Groundspeak forums).

Sorry to hear CO is not going to put their hat in the ring for the event. I've heard rumors of another east coast state wanting to try, so we shall see.

I hope to attend next year no matter where it is, I miss my buddies

I was at Geo 2 and two years later Geo 4, what a difference a few years can make! Who ever gets the next one would be wise to get with Joegps ,9key and paint because the next one will probably draw one thousand plus. Like someone here said "be careful what you wish for."