Cell Phones, Ezpass And Geocaching?

#1 - cell phones, for all the cell phone cachers out there, is having a cell phone that can access the internet, such as verizon service for example, worth it, for looking up caches when you're on the go, or out in the middle of nowhere? How often do you actually use you rphone to reference caches? What do you consider the best paperless method?

#2 - EZPASS - I am having a problem with my EZPASS. Apparently, the turnpike comission has told me that GPS interferes with EZPASS. I've had 4 problems with my transponder in the last month. Anyone else experiencing this? Actually i think my problem is a steel beam over my windshield that is blocking the transponder, ( I drive a wrangler, so my windshield is at almost 90* instead of about 60* like the rest of the world, so my transponder is right in line with a steel beam over the indshield) but they say its my GPS. I told them that i didn't have the GPS on when i had the problems with the transponder, but they still say its the GPS??? My GPS is not 'in' my vehicle permanently, they are referring to my hand held Garmin.

Edited by Polgara

I dont see how a gps could interfere with Ezpass since it is a receiver and not transmitting.

All recievers transmit some signal. It is technically possible that the GPSr could be emitting a spurious signal on a frequency that would interfere with your Ezpass. I wouldn't think it likely, however.

#1 I like using the web access on my Nextel phone to check for cache logs/updates if I don't have my PDA with me. Since my work pays for it, it's a no-brainer for me to use it...

#2 Sounds like an excuse about the toll-transmitter. In Illinois we have a system call I-Pass and my GPS has never cause a problem with it. On the I-Pass website it states: "Vertical Windshields

For vehicles with vertical windshields, such as Jeeps, buses or trucks, I-PASS transponders must be mounted in the center of the windshield, about one to two inches from the bottom of the window. Otherwise, it may be difficult for the Tollway's I-PASS equipment to "read" the transponder's signal. "

#1 -- I don't have a cell phone . . . and many of the places I cache don't have reception. However, friends of mine have found cell phones to be handy for the situations you describe. I don't think I would want to spend $80.00 a month just to have the service to help me Geocache -- although a lifeline call to help you find that cache you've been searching for might seem like it would be worth it. :)

For Paperless caching, I use an old, monochrome, easy-to-read-in-bright-sunlight Palm M500 with Cachemate installed on it. On my PC, I have GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife).

I don't think I would want to spend $80.00 a month just to have the service to help me Geocache -- although a lifeline call to help you find that cache you've been searching for might seem like it would be worth it. :)[/url].

WAP internet access on most plans is $10 or less a month...not $80 :)

I use the WAP service all the time to check cache descriptions. It is usually around $5 a month but should be noted that you probably also use minutes. I find the extra $5 well worth it.

Now if you don't want to pay $5-$10 a month for WAP you can get it for free. This is a free, legal service. You are not hacking into your cell phone companys WAP but rather accessing a free WAP that some kind soul has set up on there own personal server. Again you will still have to use minutes from your plan. The problem is they tend to be slower and drop out of exsistance suddenly. You can check out more at www.howardforums.com (lots of other fun things to do with your cell phone there too!)

Sorry I have no ideas at all about the Speed Pass thing!

My EZPASS is mounted on my windshield right behind the rear view mirror and my Garmin eTrex Vista C sits in it's auto-mount directly below it ... absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Easy enough to prove ... remove the GPS from the car and go for a drive.

No cell phone with internet, but we have a Garmin that sits on the dash or I hold it in my hand and no problems with the EZPass.

I have a friend who had problems with her EZPass and now she keeps it in her center console and sets it on the dash as she goes through. She told me she couldn't mount it on her windshield because angle the blue color at the top of her windscreen is larger than mine (Volvo vs VW). By putting it on the dash it is much lower than where the instructions say it should be, but she's never had a problem with it. Hers is black and about 8 inches long instead of the square white one on my window.

I don't think I would want to spend $80.00 a month just to have the service to help me Geocache -- although a lifeline call to help you find that cache you've been searching for might seem like it would be worth it. :)].

WAP internet access on most plans is $10 or less a month...not $80 :D

Since I don't have a cell phone . . . I figured it would cost me about $80.00 a month to get one and have Internet access. :)

I have a sidekick 2 and it is great for caching.

I use GSAK (geocaching swiss army knife) to export my pocket queries to html form, then post them on my own server like so:

http://mattmeade.com/geocaching/

That works a lot better for me than using the actual geocaching.com website, faster, and already filtered to what I want.

If I feel like logging it asap I can also quickly hop to the actual cache page because gsak includes the link in its pages.

Haven't prnted out a cache page in ages.

Edited by Team Cyberlove

I have a sidekick 2 and it is great for caching.

I use GSAK (geocaching swiss army knife) to export my pocket queries to html form, then post them on my own server like so:

http://mattmeade.com/geocaching/

That works a lot better for me than using the actual geocaching.com website, faster, and already filtered to what I want.

If I feel like logging it asap I can also quickly hop to the actual cache page because gsak includes the link in its pages.

Haven't prnted out a cache page in ages.

I've been starting to eyeball phones with PDA/Internet capabilities for this exact purpose. Any tips or pitfalls you'd like to add? Did you research other units?

Driver Carries Cache

(madmike)