Read The Hint?

Load the cache pages on the PDA.

Try to find the cache without the hint first.

Click on the nice little link to decode the hint.

Read the decoded hint and not get it.

Look some more and find the cache anyway.

Figure out what the hint meant and laugh at myself!

(Well, that is how it usually works)

Edited by Team Neos

I often don't even read the cache description, because when I look at my GPSr, I can tell what Type of cache I am looking for, what Size the container is, and what the Difficulty and Terrain rating are.

Only if I am having trouble will I look at the Hint, if there is one, and/or the Past Logs in Cachemate on my Palm. Sometimes it has been a Past Log that helped me more than the hint . . . :)

Read the decoded hint and not get it.

Look some more and find the cache anyway.

Figure out what the hint meant and laugh at myself!

(Well, that is how it usually works)

OR....

Find that the hint was absolutley necessary to locate the cache

Go find it using the needed info in hint.

I always have the hint handy because of the above.

I typically read the cache type (traditional/multi/puzzle), then the container size. If it's a puzzle, I read the description.

Otherwise, I just go looking. If I can't find it after 1/2 hour or so so, I'll read the description. If I still can't find it, I'll read the past 5 logs. Then in a last ditch effort, I read the hint.

I end up using the hint about 5% of the time.

I go for it. If I come up empty after about 30 minutes I decrypt the hint. I think that's the point of an encrypted hint. If the owner wanted you to have that info at the start he would have put it in the cache description.

The problem is that some people put needed info in the hints section. They will list the cache as a multi, and put the directions to the second stage in the hint.

I typically read the cache type (traditional/multi/puzzle), then the container size. If it's a puzzle, I read the description.

Otherwise, I just go looking. If I can't find it after 1/2 hour or so so, I'll read the description. If I still can't find it, I'll read the past 5 logs. Then in a last ditch effort, I read the hint.

I end up using the hint about 5% of the time.

i feel the same way. lots of times the hints makes it to easy. i will usually go back and read the hints after i have found the cache. just to see what some one wrote and how helpfull it might have been.

I guess it depends...

For example, recently we took a vacation to Denver. Just to get an idea what would be there I clicked on the Colorado page and then the Denver area page and looked at the top cache on the list. I read all the way hrough - read the hint and the logs. It was the only cache I read in that much detail.

As it turned out - I'm glad I did. When we got to Denver we couldn't find our GPSr so we had to hunt for the cache sans cordinates.

We found it based on what was read in the hint and logs!!

we did a number of other things but since we planned on the whoel day for caching we eventually found ourselves at a library terminal on the GC.com site looking for more caches we can do without a GPSr. We went to a park we were familiar with and found a couple more caches this way. Reading the hints in advance helped. The one we could not find had a hint of "Enjoy the park" - and it was a micro in a large undeveloped park area. We spent about 2 minutes of effort with that info.

At the end of the trip we were unloading the truck and found the GPSr... it was tucked within the front seat median. Oh well- we made our caches a challenge but at least we found 3 of the 4 we looked for.