Garmin Etrex Legend Cx

Bedward bought me a Legend C when we started this craziness. It's great, extremely accurate, but I wouldn't let him play with it. He recently bought himself a Legend CX. It's not accurate. Usually points in the right direction, but distance is not great when we get close. Recently, mine was, correctly, showing the cache 5 feet away, while his showed 80 feet away. What do you think? Is there some way to reset it, or should he send it back, or what? Thanks

Bedward bought me a Legend C when we started this craziness. It's great, extremely accurate, but I wouldn't let him play with it. He recently bought himself a Legend CX. It's not accurate. Usually points in the right direction, but distance is not great when we get close. Recently, mine was, correctly, showing the cache 5 feet away, while his showed 80 feet away. What do you think? Is there some way to reset it, or should he send it back, or what? Thanks

I posted something about a Cx last week, and got a response with a similar problem. My wife & I just got our Cx a few weeks ago, and it does not seem as consistent as our Legend black & white. Sometimes the Cx is dead on, but sometimes (seemingly more often than was our older Legend) it has fits of inaccuracy.

We haven't had it long enough yet to be sure, but if I keep having troubles I'll call Garmin and ask what to do. Please post back with any updates you have ,and I'll do the same.

Thanks,

Jammer

You don't have the GPSr set to be "locked on Road" do you?

There was a post recently about that.

When you choose a Geocache from the list and hit "Go To," does it prompt you to "Follow Road" or go "Off Road."

Just some thoughts . . .

Thanks for the note back. No, I haven't defaulted an option, and I always choose "off-road."

I found another thread from a month ago asking this same question. I posted there, asking anyone having Cx related accuracy issues to post in THIS thread to see if others are noticing a problem.

Miragee, you may be on to something. We did have it on "locked on road." We didn't have any idea what that meant. Now, I think it will work a lot better. If not, I'll be back with more questions. Sputnik 57, nothing is ever too obvious! I did check to make sure the datum was correct. Thanks for the suggestions, both of you. Jammer, good luck with yours, too.

I always choose "follow road" to get where I'm going then recalculate and switch to "off road" when I get close enough to get out of the car. also, sometimes mine gives totally innacurate readings and I have to shut it off and let it reacquire the satellites. My .02 :rolleyes:

I just started using a brand new Legend Cx today and thought maybe as a newbie that I was doing something wrong. Mine would tell me I was right on top of a cache and then when I would step maybe 1 ft in a different direction, it would say I was 10 - 12ft away in a different direction. It had me walking in circles, constantly changing directions.

I see in the system setup that I have WAAS disabled. Is that a correct setting? I don't even know what WAAS is :laughing: I do have mine to follow off road.

I just started using a brand new Legend Cx today and thought maybe as a newbie that I was doing something wrong. Mine would tell me I was right on top of a cache and then when I would step maybe 1 ft in a different direction, it would say I was 10 - 12ft away in a different direction. It had me walking in circles, constantly changing directions.

I see in the system setup that I have WAAS disabled. Is that a correct setting? I don't even know what WAAS is :laughing: I do have mine to follow off road.

WAAS is a good thing, if you can get the right satellite signals. The gist is that there are a pair or trio of satellites with some special designation or signal to improve the accuracy of your GPSr. But, certain parts of the globe (maybe of the US?) don't have a line of sight/connection to the WAAS satellites.

Enable it and see if you get better readings. I think on the "Satellites" screen of the GPSr, there is some way to tell if you are successfully connected to WAAS satellites-- I want to say if you connect to satellites numbered 34-36, but someone else can clarify and correct me. If you become convinced that you are not benefitting from the WAAS enabled setting, then turn it off to save some battery power and speed up your screen refreshes and calculations.

I think so anyways... <_< I haven't looked into it per se, but I have read a bit about it on these forums.

Peace,

JC

This may be too obvious, but make sure that the datum is set to WGS84. If it is set to NAD27 or some other datum, the location may be tens to a couple of hundred feet off, depending upon where you are in the US.

Hey, Sputnik-- you may be on to something. After fumbling through the setup screens to find where a "datum" is selected, I found out mine was set to SE US or something like that. I switched it to WGS84 per your suggestion.

I'll post back if it seems to make a difference...

Thanks,

Jammer

I too find that my Legend CX is not as accurate as my old legend Black and white. I usually am out caching with family members or Friends, that are using the Black and white Legend, and almost 90% of time, their cordinance to the cache are more accurate than the Legend CX. I hope this isn't a problem with the new CX's, as if it is, I hope Garmin comes up with a fix or a solution. I am now starting to wonder if I should of waited and bought the new Venture CX instead, as I was thinking of doing originaly.

Hey, folks. As a start, I just dropped the following text to Garmin via their site support options. I will follow up and keep this thread posted as possible...

(Note to Garmin, Saturday 2006.06.03 9:30am EST)

Hello. I am an avid geocacher, and I only use Garmin GPSrs. Recently bought a Legend Cx (had the B&W Legend). I have found that side by side, the OLDER Legend (the B&W) is consistently more accurate to geocaches. I posted on the geocache forums, and have found several others are finding the same problem. We love Garmin, but it is disheartening to spend $300+ dollars for a GPSr whose basic functionality doesn't seem as strong as the older unit. Can I work with someone at Garmin to investigate and possibly address this seeming problem, since it seems to be something of a consensus among our experienced geocachers? Thanks! FYI, the link to the discussion forum is http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=134219[/quote

I have receive a note from Garmin tech support. Below is the text of their note, and my response. More soon (I hope).

NOTE FROM GARMIN TO ME:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International!

Dear Mr. Chambers,

To follow up with you're inquiry, when conducting the go to the

Geocache cooridnate, have both units acquired satellites, and do both of

them have similar accuracy when the initial Go To is started ( accuracy

displayed on Satellite pg. )? I have not seen this myself, but I would be

more than happy to conduct a test with a Legend and a Vista Cx to a Geocach

in my area. Basically, I would copy the coorindates and input them manually

into the Legend. Then, I would download the Geocache from Geocache.com

through Easy GPS conduit.

I will test this complication myself, and I will be in touch with

you, and let you know what I have found by Friday this week.

(Contact info removed)

MY RESPONSE BACK TO GARMIN

Thank you very much for the response and detail.

Per your questions, in my experience, when the older Legend has been more accurate, both units have indicated similar accuracy on the satellite page. Generally, I am able to get 8-15 feet accuracy where I live in Florida. Which is nice...

And both units consistently bring me to the same general area-- say with twenty yards-- before the Cx sometimes seems to go off-course.

Of course, this doesn't happen every time, but it happens probably 25% of the time so far (we've only had the Cx for a month). And when the two units do diverge close to the geocache, the older Legend has always been more accurate.

Thank you again for your time. I realize this may sound like an odd issue, especially since it is not a constant variation, but a seemingly intermittent one. We thought that we were just imagining it, but from the other posters on the Groundspeak.com bboard, it seems others are having the same problems. Or we are all suffering the same delusion!

Sincerely,

Jeff Chambers

I have receive a note from Garmin tech support. Below is the text of their note, and my response. More soon (I hope).

I would be

more than happy to conduct a test with a Legend and a Vista Cx to a Geocach

in my area.

I hope he means that he will try it with the basic eTrex Legend (black & White) and the Legend CX and not the Vista Cx as he mentioned as we were not inquiring about the Vista Cx. I have a brother that does own the Vista Cx along with a Legend Cx and he said they both are off when comparing to the Legend (black & White) so maybe this won't really matter, the results should be about the same.

Tammer&jammer, Thanks for the effort, hopefully something will come of this.

My Legend Cx does all of these same problems. Usually putting me 30+ feet away from where i am supposed to be. Also, i will be instructed to move 20 feet north, then after doing so, i'll be instructed to move 45 feet south... and so on and so fourth, this makes for long days...

My Datum is on WGS84, my North Reference is True, my Lock On Road is set to OFF... I too have felt i was just GPS immature, but my fellow cacher has often out performed me with his Explorist 200, which makes me very sad...

Are there any more features i may have set in the wrong position? I keep setting up caches and getting responses like "this put me in the middle of a highway, but i found the cache due to the clues, try this for your coordinates.." which is not only embarrasing, but just plain old unsafe...

My Legend Cx does all of these same problems. Usually putting me 30+ feet away from where i am supposed to be. Also, i will be instructed to move 20 feet north, then after doing so, i'll be instructed to move 45 feet south... and so on and so fourth, this makes for long days...

My Datum is on WGS84, my North Reference is True, my Lock On Road is set to OFF... I too have felt i was just GPS immature, but my fellow cacher has often out performed me with his Explorist 200, which makes me very sad...

Are there any more features i may have set in the wrong position? I keep setting up caches and getting responses like "this put me in the middle of a highway, but i found the cache due to the clues, try this for your coordinates.." which is not only embarrasing, but just plain old unsafe...

After recent geocaching experiences in Alaska, I am convinced the Cx has significant problems with antenna gain. In forested areas and near mountains I found the Cx was unable to receive sufficient sat vehicles to give a error circle less than 30-40 feet. My Garmin III+ would give error circles about 9-20 feet. I also experienced the 'jumps' in location of 12-20 feet when the Cx was moved an arms length. With a clear sky view, they both seem to perform equally well. I hope Garmin has a solution!

Edited by agkirk

I have definite accuracy issues with my venture cx. It is rarely consistent even in open fields. Since most geocaches are in woods, I find myself circling for awhile while the Venture changes its mind. I almost always have ~20-40ft accuracy showing. I am usually off by many yards. I have tried waiting to see if it starts tracking better. I have even reset it to see if it changes. Usually no difference.

This is the 2nd problem I've had with this thing and it takes some of the fun (and usefulness) out of this device. :blink:

Update from Garmin-- but no headway.

Sorry for the delay, for anyone watching this thread. I received the email below from Garmin on June 8, and meant that very weekend to go out with both GPSrs and a video camera to try and document the problem on video to provide to Garmin. But, I have not yet done this, and it slipped my mind to update this post til EvilOnesGeo sent me a reminder email (thanks!).

Long and short-- as I had told the Garmin rep in the previous emails, the problem does not happen everytime. He was not able to duplicate the error with his Cx.

It is still my plan to go caching with a videocamera. Can anyone else try to do the same, ideally comparing their Cx with another unit, showing how the Cx goes off-point close to geocaches with unfortunate frequency...

Thanks,

Jammer

PS--- here is the text of the response from the Garmin rep:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International!

To follow up with you're inquiries, I have conducted a few tests

with the accuracy of my Vista Cx compared to the Legend. I created a

waypoint with the my Vista Cx, I then changed the symbol on the Mark

Waypoint screen to change it to a closed treasure chest. This waypoint is

now considered a Geocache. I took the longitude and latitude and I inputted

the cooridinates into my Legend on it's Mark Waypoint screen. When

finished, I made sure both units had the same accuracy, about plus/minus

24ft, and then I conducted a Go To to the specific cooridinates. Initially,

the Legend started it's count down quicker, but when I was approaching the

geocache ( Off Road tranisition ) my Vista Cx go me with in five feet of the

Geocache. The Legend got with in ten feet of the cooridinate, when I tried

getting closer to the point, the Legend would degrade from it's distance to

destination.

My Vista Cx is at the version 2.4, which shares the same version

with you're Legend Cx. When I did look at the current longitude and

latitude from both GPS's and from the Satellite page, both units had

different hundreths, and thousandths of a minute. This could also come into

play with searching for the cache.

I believe the distance to destination resulting five to ten feet was

excellent. The units will not pin point exactly where the cache is, but it

will definitely get you in the area of the cache, maybe leaving you with a

little bit of a hunt for the cache.

Another note-- I responded to the Garmin support rep's email, as below:

Hello, again, (name removed).

Thanks for your note below. I appreciate your time and effort so far, and any that that may still come...

I am still having the problem, and more people have posted to the geocache forum stating the same. (Link to the latest thread at the bottom.) Currently, eight geocachers (including myself) have posted that they have the same issue with their Cx series (Legend and Vista) Garmin GPSr.

I am going to go geocaching with a videocamera soon, and attempt to capture the problem in order to email some video examples. I've asked the other cachers to attempt to do the same, in the event it helps identify if there is a problem with the units.

Thanks again-- Garmin always gets great marks among cachers for their customer support.

Link to relevant geocache forum topic:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...3entry2304013

Jeeocasher here, my friend is having the same exact issues with his Legend C. Not sure how much difference there is between the LEGEND C and the Legend Cx, but it is a terrible pain in the arse. We have now been on the phone on hold for almost a half hour and decided to hop on the forum to see what is up with this issue. We will keep checking in to see if there are any updates. My Old black and white Silver Etrex Vista has always been dead on. So I was shocked that this brand new unit is having so much trouble. I'm now wishing that I'd never sold that thing. I hope the problem gets fixed.

I am so disappointed in my new Vista Cx. More often than not it is 30+ feet away from a cache. This morning I went caching with a friend. She has a Magellan. Her GPS ground zero'd at all four caches, while mine had me further away. At one particular cache, she was right on it and mine continually said 378' more to the west.

So, how does that happen? We both inputted the coordinates manually. My Datum is on WGS84, my North Reference is True, my Lock On Road is set to OFF.

My fellow cacher friends have GPSr's that often out perform mine, yet I paid more money than they paid for theirs. I'm discouraged and wish I'd bought another unit.

I have an eTrex Vista Cx which is about a month old. Most of the discussion has been about the Venture/Legend but the Vista is similar so I thought I would comment. Up until I read this forum I was having no problem using it for geocaching. After reading about these issues I suddenly started wondering if I was having the problem with accuracy that others were.

On two occassions I have been with about 5-8 metres of the cache and gone one way only to see the distance and direction change and send me the other way. Nothing close to the 100 metres plus some people have been seeing. In reality I think this maybe caused by the excited running back and forth of my two young boys who are with me and often holding the GPSr. On both occassions we were also well into the woods under heavy trees. On both occassions things settles down and we ended up at the caches. In one instance it said we were one metre away and the GPSr was pointing right at the actual hiding place one metre away. That definately made me feel better about the accuracy of my unit.

Overall, this has been an amazing unit. It was definately well thought out and designed prior to release. Everytime I am playing with it and think "it would be neat if you could................." I end up pushing a menu button and seeing I can do exactly what I was wondering about. I also just got City Navigator NA v8 and went on a 1000km road trip.

Detailed mapping certainly adds a whole new dimension and it was awesome, right on everytime. No issues at all with accuracy when it came to following roads etc. I was amazed it knew I had stayed in the collector lanes on the 401 Highway and not gone into the express lanes as it had suggested. Also on the way back we were caught in a heavy downpour for about 10 minutes and it was showing +/- 2m accurracy the whole time which is the best accuracy yet.

So basically, I am very happy with mine, but keeping a close eye on these forums just in case.............

Matthew

<_<

I have a Vista Cx. I noticed (learned) that I get a better "look" at satellites when I hold it with the screen facing up, instead of facing horizontally. I really read the book that came with the unit... My accuracy went up considerably when I did this. Good luck. PS I wouldn't buy any other GPS brand.

Hi I too bought a Venture CX when it first came out in May 06. I seemed to work great for the first couple of months. However last weekend I was attempting to do four geocaches. On the first one it kept pointing me into a busy roadway approx 30 -40 ft away, to the east. I gave up on that one. The next couple it was about 30 - 60 ft off to the east from the actual cache. On the last cache, I navigated to the exact cords, then went approx 50 ft west and found it. When I approach the cache, the pointer goes erratic, all directions and distances. When I first got my CX I set a waypoint up in my backyard, now when I GOTO it, it is pointing me 490 ft to the south. I really don't know what happened to the Venture CX, it seemed to work great at first. I have a good satellite fix, new batteries, WAAS enagled and disabled, guidance off road, and North up. Ideas???? Thanks

Edited by parrothead61348

I, too, have had problems with my Legend Cx. In fact, I exchanged the first one but the new unit is still highly inaccurate, at least most of the time. I often geocache with friends, and their "lower priced" Garmins get them within 10 feet of the cache while I am 50-60 feet away. Sometimes, however, our readings are quite close, but mostly I'm waving from afar as they gleefully find the cache.

When I contacted Garmin about this, they sent me an email saying that not every unit gets data from the same satellites, even when you are in the same spot (okay, so my expensive Legend Cx gets crappy satellite locks, I guess) and geocachers have to realize that 50-60 feet from a cache is really quite accurate. Hmmmm.....

And today someone who DNF one of my caches asked for a hint. When I gave her one, she replied "Bushes? I was looking near the road". She was 80 feet off, and yes, she has a Legend Cx!!!!!

I posted two posts up. Here's an update. I contacted Garmin tech support by e-mail two days ago and still have not heard from them. I went out tonight to a previous found cache near me, just to test my Venture CX. The ponter pointed me to the general direction with no problem. Upon nearing the cords the pointer seemed to point in different directions and different distances. When I got to ground zero I had an accuracy of 10 ft. However the cache was not here. As in my post above, I went approx 40 feet to the West to find it. When I was standing with the cache, the pointer was pointing 34ft to the east. My last four caches had the same pattern. I used this unit for 3 months with no problem. I was down to about 5-10 ft normally. Is it possible to be off of calibration? Has anyone had a similar problem with being off the same distance and direction. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

i too was given a etrex legend cx for my birthday and 3 out of the 4 times i have used it the unit has not even come near the cache :ph34r: ! Today i seached for an hour and a half for 1 cache in a petroglyph field and it told me to go 80 feet off of the path where the guy who created the cache said the coodinates and the cache were right next to the path. My past experiences have been the same. any suggestions?

(i have had my waas enable but just now disabled it because my legend did not get reception from satelites 34-36, my datum is set to wgs84)

thanks alot!

I was given my Legend Cx for Mother's Day. It seemed to do great, but lately have had the same issues others complain about here. No wonder I'm finding all the caches to be about 40 feet from where my GPSr says they should be! :D

Oh well... not much I can do about it now! But it sure kills hunting for anything where the only "hint" is, coordinates are "right on". And can make finding others awkward at times. Pooey.

Hello all!

I thought I was alone on this one! I have the Venture Cx and have experienced the EXACT SAME issues the rest of you have! There were times it was pointing 100ft in the wrong direction compared to my iFinder and 60csx. I thought, at first, it was a settings issue or a fluke so I checked all settings and tried again. Same thing! Im glad I now have the 60csx, but still have a place in my heart for the Venture! Hopefully Garmin will acknowledge this and provide a fix.

I will start off saying that I DO NOT own a legendCx, but I do own legendC. I have never really had any consistant position errors, actually sometimes the legendC gets me to the cache faster then my 60cx.

however in a poor signal enviroment the legendC is VERY slow to figure out when it's wrong, I took a very good average with my 60cx on my couch, I plunked the coords into the legendC and it thought I was 50ft north of the coords for about 5minutes, that was with waas and 7ft claimed accuracy. I can also get 50ft errors with the 60cx but it updates much more quickly(in under a couple minutes).

Also make sure you are holding the legendC horizonal, screen facing up. if I don't hold either of the legendC's I have had properly they would even drop signal even out in the open.

Here's an update on my above posts, pertaining to my Venture CX. I have a friend who is using a Rhino 120. We put both units within 2 feet of each other and let the readings stabilize. The readings on my Venture CX were off, .003 on longitude and .001 on latitude. compared to his readings on his Rhino. Both had an accuracy of 15-17 ft. Locked on 7 -8 sats. Waas disabled on both. When I moved my Venture to the cords that the Rhino was giving us, I was place appox 30 ft east. The exact distance that my last 6-7 caches have been off. I called Garmin tech support. I waited over 4 days for an e-mail response, which still has not come. After being on hold for approx. 25 minutes a tech answered. He blamed everything, but his mother, and Garmin, for my inaccurate readings. If I was trying to find a cruise ship in the Atlantic it would be fine, but finding a micro under leaf cover in the woods? I was very disappointed. Like geocachers didn't matter. I tried to explain that I used this unit for a few months and it was highly accurate. Then it seems to be erratic and off the same distance and direction. He stated that it didn't make any sense to him. It doesn't make any sense to me to buy a Garmin again! Thanks for letting me vent my anger...........

Edited by parrothead61348

Instead of geocaches, I tried locating a geodetic survey marker. My Venture CX put me about 60 feet away from the target. This is way worse than the specified 10-16 feet accuracy.

I think Garmin will have to do something, because the product is not performing as advertised.

Instead of geocaches, I tried locating a geodetic survey marker. My Venture CX put me about 60 feet away from the target. This is way worse than the specified 10-16 feet accuracy.

If you are going to do such a test, make sure the benchmark is adjusted, not scaled.

I have a print out of the NGS Data Sheet. The coordinates are scaled! What does that mean???

Edited by GPSSF

If you are going to do such a test, make sure the benchmark is adjusted, not scaled.

I have a print out of the NGS Data Sheet. The coordinates are scaled! What does that mean???

Scaled means the coordinates were estimated from a map, so your GPSr will definitely show different coordinates.

Scaled vs. Adjusted

Edited by geognerd

Hi, new poster, but I wanted to share my experience in relation to this thread.

I use WAAS, and while caching I knew I could be off up to 3 meters (at least from what I've read) and if someone marked their cache without using WAAS, then they could be off up to 9 meters meaning my search radius could possibly be up to 12 meters. I have no idea if that rationale is correct and after reading this thread, maybe it is NOT.

Using my legent cx, when I'm within 10-15' of a cache my pointer will change directions wildly. I end up walking around in circular zig-zags - like someone's playing a joke on me! On the rare chance I get down to 2 or 3 feet, if I move one more inch, the arrow changes directions 180 degrees and says the cache is now 20' away.

My setup is as follows:

>Legend Cx

>Snap to road option is off (or whatever it's called)

>WAAS enabled

>My almanac is loaded (I think)

>when approaching a cache, I make sure many or most of my signal bars have the "D" displayed indicating differential data, which is good, right?

>My GPS normally says "Accurate up to +- 7 feet" which is correct.

>fresh batteries.

My story of inaccuracy is true for seemingly about 70% of caches - maybe less, it just seems like a lot. I don't expect to ever get down to a 1 or 0 foot accuracy, but WAAS is defined to have a 3 meter accuracy (so says the gpsinformation site) and I would like to be within that radius without the pointer moving in random 20' directions.

Just wanted to post a "me too"... I pray for a firmware update.

-Romulox

Edited by romulox

Using my legent cx, when I'm within 10-15' of a cache my pointer will change directions wildly. I end up walking around in circular zig-zags - like someone's playing a joke on me! On the rare chance I get down to 2 or 3 feet, if I move one more inch, the arrow changes directions 180 degrees and says the cache is now 20' away.

Sounds like normal GPSr activity to me. You cannot hope to get within better accuracy than you describe..add on the hider's equivalent accuracy, youa re expecting far far too much. Your GPSr sounds fine.

That is normal behavior for nearly any GPS without an electronic compass. It doesn't seemd to be the same issue that others are reporting here.

Sounds like normal GPSr activity to me. You cannot hope to get within better accuracy than you describe..add on the hider's equivalent accuracy, youa re expecting far far too much. Your GPSr sounds fine.

I was thinking the same thing. Reflected signals are going to compound this, also.