Ohio State Parks Geocaching Event

CarlfromOH

The Ohio State Parks have initiated a geocaching event! Below is a quote from one of their hides, "Beaver Creek 1" (GCTZYD).

"This cache is part of a geocaching event for the Summer of 2006 conducted by Ohio State Parks in the Portage/Guilford Lakes Region. The event begins on Memorial Day 2006 and ends on Labor Day 2006. There is a total of 20 different caches located in 5 different parks. Those parks include Jefferson Lake SP, Beaver Creek SP, Guilford Lake SP, Quail Hollow SP and Portage Lakes SP. Located inside each cache is a word that you have to decode using the dycrption key. Once you get all twenty words, you then unscramble them to form a phrase that relates to Ohio State Parks. Once you get the words and phrase, email them to todd.metz@dnr.state.oh.us. You must list each word with the corresponding cache name and the phrase. The first person to do so will win a new GPS unit and some goodies. Everyone that successfully finds all twenty will be invited to a geocaching campout where they will receive one free night of camping. All caches will remain active after the event. The caches are packed full of goodies!!! Good Luck!!"

This is the perfect thing for a state park!

Thanks for posting about this cool contest and series of caches. I was privileged to work with the Regional Ohio State Parks Naturalist to get these caches listed for a mass release on Memorial Day. To see a list of the caches, look here. At the moment, there are still some FTF's available!

Please note that special permission from Groundspeak was obtained so that the contest could be held as an exception to some of the listing guidelines. We are happy to make special exceptions for land managers who want to share their parks with more geo-visitors!

Be sure to show your appreciation if you log these caches, and especially if you visit from outside your normal caching area. Park managers love to hear that geocaching brings new visitors to their parks -- especially the environmentally conscious, fun-loving type of visitor.

I would be happy to provide contact information for the nice fellow at ODNR who put this program together. I am sure he would be glad to speak with naturalists/park managers in other states about how such a contest will bring new, desireable traffic to their park system.

EDIT: Oops, I see that his name and e-mail address are provided in the text of each cache page! Feel free to use it.

Edited by Keystone

That's awesome. Wonder if this could be done in Indiana!?

I will see what I can do to get them to work with us on a program of somekind. :laughing:

I will contact the people that I worked with on the DNR.

Cache On!

ID

No reason to, as I mentioned. It's already past the planning stages and we are beginning implementation. We'll give details later as we approach the release date. :)

No reason to, as I mentioned. It's already past the planning stages and we are beginning implementation. We'll give details later as we approach the release date. :laughing:

Good luck getting Prophetstown to participate :) . I hope this will create some more consistency in approvals/denials of permits across Indiana. Will the SRAs participate too?

Sorry for hijacking your thread Ohio. Sounds like a cool event. Perhaps us Indiana folks will have to travel east to join in the fun. :D