Zip Code Coordinates

Where can I find how to determine the actual search coordinates used when you do a search by zipcode?

Yes, I am working on a Puzzle Cache, and No I don't want you to give me the answer to the puzzle.

I do want to know how I can solve the puzzle myself, but I don't know where to start looking. When I search by the zip code, it only shows the zip code at the top of the page. I assumed it was the coordinates for the Post Office, but I am told that is incorrect. When I do a search for caches from my home, it shows the coords, probably because I entered them a long time ago.

The owner gave me a hint that I could reach it from the GC.com homepage, but I have clicked everything I thought might lead me to this solution and now I am in the forums asking for a class on Zip Code Coordinates.

Any one know how to do this?

Thanks

Where can I find how to determine the actual search coordinates used when you do a search by zipcode?

I do want to know how I can solve the puzzle myself, but I don't know where to start looking. When I search by the zip code, it only shows the zip code at the top of the page.

If you're on the Search page, you're halfway there. Once you've got a list of caches centered on the point you're after, see if there's any other way to represent that information that might rely on lat/long.

dave

I do want to know how I can solve the puzzle myself, but I don't know where to start looking. When I search by the zip code, it only shows the zip code at the top of the page.

If you're on the Search page, you're halfway there. Once you've got a list of caches centered on the point you're after, see if there's any other way to represent that information that might rely on lat/long.

dave

hihi. got it:

search by zip –> click the mapit button -> the new generated url will show lat/lon associated with your zip.

Happy hunting – the old fashioned way (trads only, exceptions may appear)

Which brings up another question

Those coordinates don't look anything like the ones I put in my GPS.

I found these coords in the address bar.

lat=43.8103&lon=-76.0236

I have seen somewhere that you can convert coordinates, but I don't know where, or what the GC.com coordinates are called and what the mapping coordinates are called.

Which brings up another question

Those coordinates don't look anything like the ones I put in my GPS.

I found these coords in the address bar.

lat=43.8103&lon=-76.0236

I have seen somewhere that you can convert coordinates, but I don't know where, or what the GC.com coordinates are called and what the mapping coordinates are called.

I'm curious. How did you manage to find over 200 caches and not understand different coord systems? :(:(:rolleyes:

Thanks to those who have tried to teach me the difference between different coordinate systems. I think I now know where to find 4 different methods for plotting coordinates. That coordinate conversion link did give me the answer, but it also showed me there were more ways than I previously thought to use coordinates. Maybe now I can use some of the mapping tools. I never understood why the coordinates I put in didn't match up with what I should be seeing on the map. Now I know.

Now, when my 9 yr old gets home, I can guide her through the process of coordinate conversion and we can begin to solve the puzzle.

Thanks again for your guidance.

Basically, I input the GC coordinates and drive until I am close, then we get out and walk until we get within 100 feet, and start searching. The only coordinates we ever used were the ones posted on the cache page. I saw the UTM listed below the main coordinates, but since we could always find the cache with the other coordinates, I didn't explore further.

I have been told by other cachers, that they sometimes cache without a GPS, using Google Map or something like it. Now I think I understand how they found them. I will know better when I test it out and see if I can pinpoint one of my caches from a satellite view.

Most things we learn as we need them. I learned something new today.

Thanks

::: bangs head against wall :::

Perhaps someone will offer to bring the cache container on a silver platter.

I was thinking more like they'd run out and sign the log for them .... :rolleyes:

After spending a lot of time and money driving around and trying to do this the hard way, I thought I would ask if there was an easier way.

Not that you deserve it, but I drove out there (24 miles one way) and took coordinates at the Post office, we did the math computation and looked for the cache with no luck (middle of a river with no boat). Then I looked at the map it, saw where the crosshairs were centered, drove back out and took another reading, that didn't work either. So for those counting, that is over 100 miles driving, and probably 3 hours of head scratching over 2 days, before I asked for assistance.

So NO I don't want it on a Silver Platter, and NO I don't want someone to sign for me. I want to learn and help my daughter learn how to use her GPS and have fun spending time on something we both enjoy doing.

Thanks Again

::: bangs head against wall :::

Perhaps someone will offer to bring the cache container on a silver platter.

I was thinking more like they'd run out and sign the log for them .... :rolleyes:

After spending a lot of time and money driving around and trying to do this the hard way, I thought I would ask if there was an easier way.

Not that you deserve it, but I drove out there (24 miles one way) and took coordinates at the Post office, we did the math computation and looked for the cache with no luck (middle of a river with no boat). Then I looked at the map it, saw where the crosshairs were centered, drove back out and took another reading, that didn't work either. So for those counting, that is over 100 miles driving, and probably 3 hours of head scratching over 2 days, before I asked for assistance.

So NO I don't want it on a Silver Platter, and NO I don't want someone to sign for me. I want to learn and help my daughter learn how to use her GPS and have fun spending time on something we both enjoy doing.

Thanks Again

Here is a link to the entire zipcode database with lat and lon coordinates. Let me know if you need help getting into and searching the data (It's in several different formats)

http://www.cfdynamics.com/zipbase/

ReadyOrNot

Now that I figured out the correct coordinates, and have had them verified by the cache owner, I can share their way of determining zip code coordinates. He did like the method I used to learn the information. Surprisingly enough it is all on the GC.com site.

Step 1- From My Geocaching home page, click on update home coordinates.

Step 2- Put in zip code and click locate.

Do not save these coordinates as your home coordinates, just write them down.

Thanks to all who assisted me in my efforts.

Enjoy